PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thought: would you give up your looks for power?

randomhero00
2011-02-16, 03:57 PM
Both in character and especially out of character.

Basically if you say yes and make the deal you'll look like some kind of creepy abberation, no take backs. But you'll gain some power in character, and obviously a lot in real life.

I think I'd say yes. It's just be too cool and fun to be a gibbering monster (so long a I retain my mind). Of course people fleeing and cops shooting at you might be an inconvenience.

kamikasei
2011-02-16, 04:05 PM
Define "power". Enough power makes personal looks pretty irrelevant, especially if it includes any sort of illusion or shapeshifting ability.

Dreadn4ught
2011-02-16, 04:11 PM
Enough power makes personal looks pretty irrelevant, especially if it includes any sort of illusion or shapeshifting ability.

Brilliant. Just use an illusion!

Of course, it might not include that. It would still be pretty cool being horrendous but being GODLIKE IN POWER!

Tyndmyr
2011-02-16, 04:16 PM
Define "power". Enough power makes personal looks pretty irrelevant, especially if it includes any sort of illusion or shapeshifting ability.

Yup. I mean, sure...I would...it just depends on the level of looks traded for the level of power.

randomhero00
2011-02-16, 04:22 PM
Let's say batman/green arrow level of power in real life. In game, it'd be like getting 3 (permanent) free levels above the highest person in the party.

So no, not godlike power.

Urpriest
2011-02-16, 04:22 PM
In-game? Sure.

In RL? Well, even with hideous looks power can be quite an aphrodisiac. Just ask this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissinger) guy.

Amnestic
2011-02-16, 04:23 PM

Indeed. The nature of the power and the extent of the trade is rather important to making a decision.

Doughnut Master
2011-02-16, 04:25 PM
My looks are power. ;)

stainboy
2011-02-16, 04:27 PM
Can I take a raincheck on it? If I can wait to go all Dunwich Horror until I'm dying in a nursing home, I'm sold.

Also, can the three levels be in wizard? Because I can fix the looks problem.

Erom
2011-02-16, 04:35 PM
Let's say batman/green arrow level of power in real life. In game, it'd be like getting 3 (permanent) free levels above the highest person in the party.

IRL, it would depend on what type of creepy aberration we're talking about. Do I get to keep functional opposable thumbs, eyes, and naughty bits (and mind, obviously priority #1, but you already said that)? Then I'd almost certainly go for it, regardless of how bizarre the other changes were. Have to be a sentient ooze or a brain in a jar to get the magic powers? Then I'll probably take a pass, thanks.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that the appearance of my body doesn't matter much to me, but I happen to value some parts of it's function.

kamikasei
2011-02-16, 05:46 PM

Then no. Not (personally, and for most of my characters) because I value my looks so much, but because that's not that much compensation for having Looks which have Become A Problem. Easier to get that power fair and square while still being able to interact more or less normally with the rest of humanity. (And I'm assuming that the character comparison is to their personal skill and fighting ability rather than their wealth and connections.)

NichG
2011-02-16, 06:41 PM
IRL power is not necessarily going to be useful if it of a sort that either creates more problems for the user than it solves (e.g. using it causes society to attack them, or causes them to be recruited to a higher-risk, higher-stress existence as the government's secret weapon or something). So I think the details matter.

Trade for immortality, probably.
Trade for the ability to journey the stars, probably.
Trade for telekinesis, pyrokinesis, or making people's brains melt? Pass.

BobVosh
2011-02-16, 11:29 PM
3 levels in character for the cost of charisma? I had quite a few who would go the Raistlin route for this.

3 levels IRL for this? Only if I can do Punpun style cheese. Otherwise I can't think of a single class that gets enough power to make it worthwhile. Other than possible wizard. Take some brew potions, sell 3 minute invisibility potions to the government for Black Ops or other such stuff.

Hmm, if I could keep gaining levels than ya I would go for it IRL. Sure I'll be hideous but eventually I'll be able to cast the spells that let me explore where noone else has gone (both deep ocean and deep space). I could live a life of celibacy for that.

Akal Saris
2011-02-16, 11:39 PM
In-game: Hell, yes, I do it all the time on characters. Charisma 1 Feral Mineral Warrior Man-Squid Abomination, here I come!

In RL: Probably not. I feel self-conscious enough as it is.

Tenebris
2011-02-17, 01:44 AM
It depends whether the new look would be an inconvenience to me, disregarding all social problems of course (for which I don't really care). And depends on the power. In game I would just take anything that has a value, unless I play some sort of diplomat. In life... well, I'm not particularly interested in super strength, but psychokinesis and flight would be cool.

Felyndiira
2011-02-17, 02:08 AM
In-Game: Charisma is very rarely my dump stat, so most likely no. I usually consider my characters as extensions to myself, so if I'm not willing to horrendously mutilate myself, I cannot expect that any of my characters even if I get BAB bonuses and whatnot. This, of course, no longer applies if I'm playing a character specifically tailored to do this, or a character whose personality would merit such, although those do tend to be the exceptions.

Real Life: Absolutely not.

DeltaEmil
2011-02-17, 02:26 AM
Improved Invisibility. Then my looks won't matter.

Flickerdart
2011-02-17, 02:28 AM
Improved Invisibility. Then my looks won't matter.
Lasts rounds/level.

DeltaEmil
2011-02-17, 02:34 AM
At will. And Extraordinary Ability.

Rankar
2011-02-17, 02:35 AM
In game: Depends greatly on the character I'm playing and the need for power.

Real life: I have never seen a picture of myself that I've looked at and thought it turned out well (dark circles around my eyes make people wonder if I'm part raccoon). Bring on the power!

Flickerdart
2011-02-17, 02:36 AM
At will. And Extraordinary Ability.
What three levels are you taking?

DeltaEmil
2011-02-17, 02:40 AM
Invisible Aberration Thingy.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-17, 02:44 AM
Of course not. Appearance is too important for my mental defense values in social combat. If I drop it to 0, everyone will easily sway me.

golentan
2011-02-17, 03:02 AM
Of course not. Appearance is too important for my mental defense values in social combat. If I drop it to 0, everyone will easily sway me.

See, that's why you take the flaw that lets you count your appearance 0 as appearance 5 for purposes of intimidation, and when you realize someone's trying to argue with you you just put on your best glower face.

Hmm... Batman levels of power as in the personal abilities, or the personal abilities and all the gadgeteering (counting the stuff that contravenes IRL physical laws as we understand them?).

Probably I'd take the power. And then go all knight errant on the world.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-17, 03:03 AM
See, that's why you take the flaw that lets you count your appearance 0 as appearance 5 for purposes of intimidation, and when you realize someone's trying to argue with you you just put on your best glower face.

That's not a Flaw, though - that's the default of Appearance 0.

golentan
2011-02-17, 03:17 AM
That's not a Flaw, though - that's the default of Appearance 0.

Why... So it is. So... why'd they bother specifying? Gah so confused...

Yahzi
2011-02-17, 07:47 AM
Basically if you say yes and make the deal you'll look like some kind of creepy abberation
As Kissinger said, "power is the ultimate adrophisiac." And he should know 'cause he pretty much nails the creepy abberation look. So, bottom line: if yer a dude, then YA! If yer a chick, then NO, 'cause looks is power for chicks.

:smallbiggrin:

JOKING! I'm joking!

Psyren
2011-02-17, 11:09 AM
Younger Kissinger looks fine to me...

Also, there's a whole trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KavorkaMan) about guys like him

My looks are power. ;)

Also, this :smalltongue:

Shademan
2011-02-17, 12:33 PM
in a second.
I am one of thos people that would drop all the way on the elignment chart for ultimate power.

every man has a price, mine is just really rather high

Callista
2011-02-17, 04:23 PM
Yeah, define "power". If I'm only getting the ability to throw fireballs or something, then I wouldn't want it, because who wants to have a power that involves painfully burning people to death? (Well, sociopaths, obviously, but if I wanna be a vigilante, I'll use a gun. Guns don't burn down buildings.)

On the other hand, if it's a kind of power that could actually be useful or helpful rather than just destructive, then sure, especially if it involves being able to do stuff that nobody would be able to do otherwise. Lots of people live with scarred faces and lost limbs and crazy-looking diseases of one sort or another... being a walking skeleton or a slimy thing or whatever shouldn't be too much different.

Kallisti
2011-02-17, 04:30 PM
In-game: Very, very much depends on the character.
In life: For Batman-level power? Ohhhh yes. The man has impenetrable plot armor, is a genius, and regularly pulls Deus Ex Machina-level gadgets out of nowhere. Plus he can breathe in space. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BatmanCanBreatheInSpace)

Green Arrow, though? I can't say I have much desire to shoot stuff.

dsmiles
2011-02-17, 07:12 PM
In character: Hellz yeah!

IRL: You mean you haven't yet? :smallwink:

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-17, 07:13 PM
Both in character and especially out of character.

Basically if you say yes and make the deal you'll look like some kind of creepy abberation, no take backs. But you'll gain some power in character, and obviously a lot in real life.

I think I'd say yes. It's just be too cool and fun to be a gibbering monster (so long a I retain my mind). Of course people fleeing and cops shooting at you might be an inconvenience.

It depends a lot on the character in question and on how much it would actually hinder his life.

Social life without serious illuions, diplomancy, bluffing (it's just a natural skin disorder!) might be impeded in case of really strange looks - but in most D&D settings that wouldn't be a problem.

You can provide food, craft, and magic whatever else you want just by yourself. With a few ranks of survival, you won't be needing any help from civilization in terms of food and, well, survival in the wilderness if it's not too extreme. You can always build a shack and what not.

Now, considering that your average adventurer doesn't merely live his or her life in some nice place but instead runs around back and forth killing hundreds in cold blood and looting their bodies... I don't think looks would really matter a lot there.

So, uh, yeah. If it fit the character concept, I don't mind, IC. Drawbacks can be played around with - it' s boring to play a perfect character.

But in some cases that kind of power just doesn't work, thematically.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-17, 07:22 PM
And when it comes to real life, it all just comes down to benefits/drawbacks total and what you want to do.

If you can support yourself and live in comfort outside of society, perhaps mingle within as well, and be capable of more things you are right now, I don't see why not.

Like, being a vampire is pretty cool - the drawbacks, of course, being that you generally have to feed on other people and can't come out during day which is questionable - there are a lot of "traditional" vampire archetypes out there, and I don't see most vampires in modern fiction being afraid to cross running water which is kinda their thing - not to mention the sparkling ones... Or the option of wearing a concealing full-body suit and a lot of anti-sunburn cream would generally help you avoid sunlight - the vampires in Blade totally did it!

And the benefits generally include super strength, various supernatural abilities and/or magic, eternal or nigh eternal life and almost complete invincibility.

That's a decent trade off.

Becoming a gibbering mouther probably isn't.

Magic Myrmidon
2011-02-17, 08:07 PM
If I had one more level to work with, I'd just use the LA of un-errata'd pixie. Polymorph and greater invisibility at will? Yes please.