PDA

View Full Version : Need some prc/chimera ideas

Necro_EX
2011-02-16, 04:06 PM
So, the party in the local game I'm running is going to be heading into the lair of a hermit-wizard who's dedicated his time to the creation of new life forms. I've already got a couple of ideas for what to give him in his lair (howler bees, for starters), but I'm thinking of throwing in a customized chimera of some sort, but can't really think of what to have it made of...the party's only around 6th level, so it can't be anything too nasty, just in case they do try to kill his little pet. :/

Also, is there a prc that's geared toward that sort of wizardry?
I haven't seen any in any of the books I have, but I can always go out and get whatever source material I need if there's one to be had.

Thanks in advance. :D

Urpriest
2011-02-16, 04:28 PM
Fleshwarper is the classic PrC for this sort of guy, from Lords of Madness. Unfortunately you can't enter it before 8th level, and even that requires some serious build juggling.

Necro_EX
2011-02-16, 04:46 PM
Well, thankfully the party shouldn't come into direct conflict with this NPC, so he can stand to be a good couple of levels above them. :D

Lookin' at fleshwarper...yeah, that definitely looks good, but I don't know about the self-experimentation for this guy...that'd give him too much of a twisted evil look, which the party's just run through a lot of. Any other prcs good for the creative mage? I'll definitely throw one of these at them at some point, though. :D

Erom
2011-02-16, 04:47 PM
Well, if he needs something that can be a companion animal in addition to watch/guard function, something dog based can be nice.

Personally I think an octodog would probably be both weird and plausibly kept as a pet. If you need it to be dangerous in combat, simply use a larger breed of dog and add poison abilities or something.

Urpriest
2011-02-16, 04:51 PM
Well, thankfully the party shouldn't come into direct conflict with this NPC, so he can stand to be a good couple of levels above them. :D

Lookin' at fleshwarper...yeah, that definitely looks good, but I don't know about the self-experimentation for this guy...that'd give him too much of a twisted evil look, which the party's just run through a lot of. Any other prcs good for the creative mage? I'll definitely throw one of these at them at some point, though. :D

He doesn't have to apply the grafts to himself. The graft pool is also decent for applying to his minions. He'd still have his own Elder Secrets, but if you choose subtle ones it shouldn't be a huge problem, especially at the level this guy is probably at. Plus you get a really freaky looking familiar.

Effigy Master is good if he's interested in constructs, but otherwise not your cup of tea. Alienist is good for a guy who's just generally interested in weird stuff.

Necro_EX
2011-02-16, 04:57 PM
Hmmm...I suppose fleshwarper's what he's going to be, then. :D

Secret of the choker's probably going to be subtle enough for him. Yes, I do think I'll like this character.

Erom - Octodog? Sounds just alright to me. :D

I had been thinking crab+something, but octodog just may do it.