PDA

View Full Version : Something just hit me... What's Tarquin's Plan?

Geordnet
2011-02-16, 08:52 PM
I was reading some of the archive, then came across something that hasn't yet been explained: the second-to-last line of #735, "'Pray I don't alter it any further.'"

I just realized the implications of this, that Tarquin had some secret deal with the bounty hunters, and most likely *knew* where to find Elan. In fact, it might even have been part of the deal to land Roy and Belkar in jail for brawling... Supporting this theory is the fact that Tarquin didn't seem the least bit surprised to see Elan back again after two decades.

It's possible, since Tarquin knows about Girard, that Tarquin set up that as a trap for the OotS! Why, or how he got that information, is anyone's guess and the purpose of this thread. The answer should be out within the next month, so let's try and guess it!

So then, I've got three ideas for how Tarquin found out about Elan (assuming he did know ahead of time):

1: The green etherial 'scry eye' from #698
2: Xycon hired Tarquin to capture the OotS
3: Nale (possibly via proxy) leaked info to Tarquin about Elan, so that he could get them both in the same crosshair for a double-revenge

As for his plan, the only thing I can come up with is that there'll be some sort of event during the gladiatorial show to set up Elan's part in Tarquin's "story"; maybe like the attack of the clonesclowns, hmm? I expect then that at least one of the reacurring heros/villans will pop up in the middle of the arena duels, who else would like to see a bunch of paladins or elves throw off their disguises to fight armies of zombies?

But that seems unlikely; however I'm sure that this will be the "more dramatic occasion"(#758) that Tarquin was waiting for...

Maybe he'll try to kill Roy to get Elan to swear revenge? Nah, that's too simple...

Zmflavius
2011-02-16, 09:15 PM
I was reading some of the archive, then came across something that hasn't yet been explained: the second-to-last line of #735, "'Pray I don't alter it any further.'"

I just realized the implications of this, that Tarquin had some secret deal with the bounty hunters, and most likely *knew* where to find Elan. In fact, it might even have been part of the deal to land Roy and Belkar in jail for brawling... Supporting this theory is the fact that Tarquin didn't seem the least bit surprised to see Elan back again after two decades.

It's possible, since Tarquin knows about Girard, that Tarquin set up that as a trap for the OotS! Why, or how he got that information, is anyone's guess and the purpose of this thread. The answer should be out within the next month, so let's try and guess it!

So then, I've got three ideas for how Tarquin found out about Elan (assuming he did know ahead of time):

1: The green etherial 'scry eye' from #698
2: Xycon hired Tarquin to capture the OotS
3: Nale (possibly via proxy) leaked info to Tarquin about Elan, so that he could get them both in the same crosshair for a double-revenge

As for his plan, the only thing I can come up with is that there'll be some sort of event during the gladiatorial show to set up Elan's part in Tarquin's "story"; maybe like the attack of the clonesclowns, hmm? I expect then that at least one of the reacurring heros/villans will pop up in the middle of the arena duels, who else would like to see a bunch of paladins or elves throw off their disguises to fight armies of zombies?

But that seems unlikely; however I'm sure that this will be the "more dramatic occasion"(#758) that Tarquin was waiting for...

Maybe he'll try to kill Roy to get Elan to swear revenge? Nah, that's too simple...

Actually, "Pray I don't alter it further is a reference to Star Wars" and in the context, it takes on roughly the same meaning as it did, which is to say,
"Pray that I don't make your situation worse."

Furthermore, you must recall that him seeing Elan again is not at all surprising, precisely because Tarquin is Genre Savvy enough to realize that if a mysterious prisoner shows up, he's probably connected to him.

And your three ideas:

1) Maybe, but no evidence.
2) Maybe, but no...actually, this is so out of the ball park, I won't say maybe. Tarquin strikes me as unlikely to subordinate himself to Xykon, and I'm not sure why an epic-level sorcerer would need Tarquin to carry out his bidding.
3) Nale and Tarquin are not exactly on the best of terms, hence this is unlikely.

The Attack of the Clones idea is not so random, considering the setting.

squiremarcus
2011-02-16, 09:38 PM
Yea, Star wars quote. the reason for the "he said you'd know what it meant" is that the bounty hunter made a star wars reference in a previous strip

Kish
2011-02-16, 09:40 PM
That could, at least, have the advantage of leading to a reference to a non-Star Wars movie.

ROY: There's something I should tell you.
TARQUIN: And what would that be?
ROY: I am not Elan's hireling. Nor am I left-handed. *knocks Tarquin away and skewers him*

Geordnet
2011-02-16, 09:51 PM
Actually, "Pray I don't alter it further" is a reference to Star WarsReally? I don't remember that quote...

All right, it doesn't really matter though: that particular choice of words is very specific in impling there was some sort of hidden deal going on. Why would else would he say that? It's just awkward otherwise; he could have easily have left that off or found a better quote.

The attack of the clones is unlikely because the star wars theme was a one-comic shtick, I doubt that Rich would contort the plot that much for one joke.

The Xycon idea isn't as far-fetched as you think, because I didn't say that Tarquin actually took the job from him. Besides, it could have been Redcloak that told him about Elan so that the OotS would be tied up for a while.

If you noticed I suggested that Nale sent the info via proxy, like maybe a letter or a shapeshifted Sabine tipping off an informant.

But, the purpose of this thread should be to come up with new ideas, not evaluate the likelyhood of the existing ones! There are so many possibilities (and so many different opinions on their probabilities) that there's no real way to assess the chance of each one. Besides, what would that gain us? The only thing it would do is encourage Rich to change the story out of spite.

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-16, 10:30 PM
Really? I don't remember that quote...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd8hy032uLc

All right, it doesn't really matter though: that particular choice of words is very specific in impling there was some sort of hidden deal going on. Why would else would he say that? It's just awkward otherwise; he could have easily have left that off or found a better quote.
No, in context it works perfectly fine. The unmentioned "deal" in this case is that Tarquin had agreed to pay the bounty hunters 8,000gp, which he is now altering. It's a continuation of the Star Wars riffing, nothing more, and everything you proposed in your post has precisely zero evidence for it - and in fact makes much less sense than everything Tarquin has directly said about meeting Elan.

The only thing it would do is encourage Rich to change the story out of spite.
Nope.

At any rate, there is zero chance of the plot changing based on anything anyone writes here anymore

Renegade Paladin
2011-02-16, 10:33 PM
Really? I don't remember that quote...
Imperial officer: Skywalker has just landed, my Lord.
Darth Vader: Good. See to it that he finds his way here. Calrissian, take the Princess and the Wookiee to my ship.
Lando Calrissian: You said they would be left in the city under my supervision!
Darth Vader: I am altering the deal; pray I don't alter it any further.

Geordnet
2011-02-16, 11:25 PM
The only thing it would do is encourage Rich to change the story out of spite.
Nope.From the FAQ page:
"In fact, I try not to read anything where people suggest upcoming plot ideas because I hate it when people guess what is going to happen. I feel the uncontrollable urge to change what happens, just to prove them wrong."

But this is all just wild speculation, so it doesn't count. It doesn't need evidence either, I'm just saying "THIS could happen", I'm not saying it's likely. (And NOTHING is impossible, even "hard evidence" against something could turn out to have been wrong all along...)

So then... There remains the upcoming arena battle. I believe that Tarquin's about to do something very dramatic, so what is it? It's probably related to Elan and any recurring villan (Xycon, Nale) can come crashing in as a gatebuster to Tarquin's party at any time...

Nevereatcars
2011-02-17, 01:02 AM
God, I hope that Xykon doesn't pop up. I'm quite looking forward to Roy knocking that dragon on his butt.

Mr. Snuggles
2011-02-17, 01:31 AM
4. Tarquin is Elan and Nale's FATHER. You know, he might have noticed the extra baby when his wife gave birth. Just a thought there.

Sheesh. :confused:

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-17, 01:49 AM
From the FAQ page:
"In fact, I try not to read anything where people suggest upcoming plot ideas because I hate it when people guess what is going to happen. I feel the uncontrollable urge to change what happens, just to prove them wrong."
I know what the FAQ says. I also know it's about five years out of date. What I posted there was a direct quote from Rich, made about two months ago. Follow the link in the quote and read the rest of his post if you want clarification; it overrules what's written in the FAQ completely.

But this is all just wild speculation, so it doesn't count.
No kidding. :smalltongue:

It doesn't need evidence either, I'm just saying "THIS could happen", I'm not saying it's likely. (And NOTHING is impossible, even "hard evidence" against something could turn out to have been wrong all along...)
Whether or not you need or even want evidence against your points, you're going to get it anyway. That's the way these forums work; if you post something wrong, people will tell you. It's hopelessly unrealistic to expect everyone to just nod sagely and be all like, "You're right, NOTHING is completely impossible. Hell, the author could even do a retcon afterwards if he wanted to. Therefore nothing can ever be proven, so I shall refrain from arguing".

Anyway, making up silly theories with nothing to back them up is not the way I have my fun on these boards. I do that, by and large, by pointing out when people are barking wildly up the wrong tree. :smallwink:

This is one of those occasions. It was the conclusion of the little Star Wars back-and-forth between Tarquin and Gannji, and that's ALL it was.

Fontaine
2011-02-22, 12:43 PM
4. Tarquin is Elan and Nale's FATHER. You know, he might have noticed the extra baby when his wife gave birth. Just a thought there.

Sheesh. :confused:

True, and he expected to meet Elan in the future (why elan wasn't told about him "just for the reveal")

Dr.Epic
2011-02-22, 02:52 PM
Tarquin's got a master plan to buy a custom conversion van!

If you get that reference you are awesome.

Kish
2011-02-22, 05:26 PM
From the FAQ page:
Rich posted on the board awhile ago that, aggravating as he find it when people guess what is going to happen, he has never actually changed the plot as a result, just growled a lot.

Dvandemon
2011-03-05, 01:45 AM
Tarquin plans to live like a slightly-more-than-a-king before he dies and go down in history, with a little justification of peace on the side