PDA

View Full Version : D&D4e And-Slash-Or Essentials: How to get the Best out of a low Primary Stat?

OracleofWuffing
2011-02-16, 09:06 PM
It seems like my group's going to be starting up a new campaign in a week or two, and we'll be starting at level 1. While we basically let everything official fly, my DM has everyone roll for stats, and he's pretty solid on the opinion that that's how things should be handled. Just to get the gears going in my head for a new character, I'm looking for things or builds that can try to catch up to other players that get luckier on rolls than I might end up with (or, alternatively, things or builds I could suggest to other players who are struggling because they weren't as lucky as me, the stats haven't been rolled yet).

So, in short, hypothetical character here has a 13, 14, or 15 as it's highest stat before racial modifier. How can one make the most of that predicament? I'm not yet settled on a role, so anything official for any official class.

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-16, 09:22 PM
It seems like my group's going to be starting up a new campaign in a week or two, and we'll be starting at level 1. While we basically let everything official fly, my DM has everyone roll for stats, and he's pretty solid on the opinion that that's how things should be handled. Just to get the gears going in my head for a new character, I'm looking for things or builds that can try to catch up to other players that get luckier on rolls than I might end up with (or, alternatively, things or builds I could suggest to other players who are struggling because they weren't as lucky as me, the stats haven't been rolled yet).

So, in short, hypothetical character here has a 13, 14, or 15 as it's highest stat before racial modifier. How can one make the most of that predicament? I'm not yet settled on a role, so anything official for any official class.

Depending on what class you are, take Weapon Expertise/Implement Expertise/one-of-those-other Expertise feats. If you do use weapons, make sure to use one with a +3 proficiency bonus. Some classes have a power that grants an extra bonus to the attack rolls at the cost of your stat mod to damage.

RTGoodman
2011-02-16, 09:25 PM
Well, to get your attack up you'll definitely want one of the Weapon/Implement Expertise feats. You'll also want a weapon with a high proficiency bonus, so skip out on axes and hammers and go for light or heavy blades.

Otherwise, I don't think there's much you can do, other than make sure to grab powers that do things on a miss. (So, Reliable powers or ones with an Effect line.)

Loren
2011-02-16, 09:26 PM
I'd be inclined to attack defences other than AC as the tend to be lower

I'd pick a variety of powers that function very differently. Option is always the key to success.

Sustained areas of effect might be good as it isn't dependent upon you abilities to land a hit.

Warlord might work well, as you can use other players as your weapon.

Some classes, like wizard can work well if you have one high score and the rest low

Erom
2011-02-16, 09:26 PM
Eh, the way 4e is set up it just limits your options a bit. So long as you pick a complimentary class and race, and then use your lvl1 feat to boost what you care about you should be fine.

IE with a 18 Key Stat you could play an <any race> Fighter with <any feat>
with a 16 Key Stat you'll need to play a <+2 strength race> Fighter with <any feat>
with a 15 you'll need to stick to <+2 strength race> Fighter with <weapon feat>

IMO the only classes that really benefit from being able to hit that +5 modifier at 1st level are back-line strikers. Front line strikers, Defenders, and Leaders all want to spread their stats out a bit anyway, so the array you give is very playable.

MeeposFire
2011-02-16, 09:29 PM

a 15 or 14 before racial mods are not too bad. Stick with accurate classes and +3 prof weapons and the like (avenger for instance). Heavy armor users are probably a good idea that way you do not need to worry about a low stat in AC. Dex and Int main classes will be not quite as good though still playable (they get more for a high starting stat than other abilities).

Going lower than that consider a lazy build. For instance a warlord that picks powers that do not require an attack roll. Commanders strike can be used to give somebody else an attack and gives it a boost. A lazy warlord can be made with high int and cha.

Another option would be the sentinel druid since it gives bonuses even when they miss and their animal companion will work well even if your stats are bad.

WitchSlayer
2011-02-16, 09:35 PM
Avengers will also be a good choice because you can roll twice to hit against your chosen enemy.

Numinous
2011-02-16, 11:56 PM
Either go for a high-accuracy class like the Avenger or Thief (essentials Rogue); or go for a class that doesn't need to hit like a Warlord who uses Commander's Strike a lot, or a pacifist Cleric.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-17, 06:03 AM
my DM has everyone roll for stats, and he's pretty solid on the opinion that that's how things should be handled.
Nevertheless, you can start by pointing out to him that this is not balanced, and that this is explicitly and intentionally not how 4E works.

So, in short, hypothetical character here has a 13, 14, or 15 as it's highest stat before racial modifier. How can one make the most of that predicament?
That said, play either a 4.4 Mage, or a Lazylord. Both have plenty of powers that don't require a to-hit roll.

OracleofWuffing
2011-02-17, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations, everyone.

I'm interested in playing Warlord, but my group's not yet comfortable with non-healbot leaders. That said, since I'm the healbot right now, I'll get first picks on roles, anyways. I've also been wanting to try Avengers, so it's good to hear they can handle this. Mage, I'm interested in, but last time I played a controller, everyone stood exactly where my AoEs needed to go. Then again, I guess there's always Magic Missile when nothing else works.

Nevertheless, you can start by pointing out to him that this is not balanced, and that this is explicitly and intentionally not how 4E works.
He doesn't roll this way (:smalltongue:) for balance purposes, he just doesn't want to see everyone using the same arrays for all of their characters and he believes that not everyone should be perfect at their jobs. Since pickings are slim where I live, and heck, there's something fun to be said about that <5% of the time where you get three 18s, I don't feel like rocking the boat too much.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-17, 03:50 PM
last time I played a controller, everyone stood exactly where my AoEs needed to go.

Heh. Get used to asking your teammates "would you mind standing over there?" a lot :smalltongue:

TheEmerged
2011-02-17, 05:27 PM
He doesn't roll this way (:smalltongue:) for balance purposes, he just doesn't want to see everyone using the same arrays for all of their characters and he believes that not everyone should be perfect at their jobs. Since pickings are slim where I live, and heck, there's something fun to be said about that <5% of the time where you get three 18s, I don't feel like rocking the boat too much.

Suggest the "Gamma World 4e" option: assign an 18 to one stat, 16 to another, and roll the remainder @ 3d6. Yes, I know that in GW your stats stay at whatever they start at (GW only goes to level 10, there are no feats or attribute increases as you go up in level). He may be able to find a compromise solution everyone can work with.