PDA

View Full Version : Best butt-kicking Pally variant?

danzibr
2011-02-16, 09:24 PM
The title says it all. I don't know where to look for a comprehensive list of class variants, so any direction is appreciated. Specifically, giving up turning and casting for divine butt whupping (and maaaaaaaaaybe even saccing the mount).

SurlySeraph
2011-02-16, 09:30 PM
The Charging Smite alternate class feature trades out the mount for double damage when you smite while charging. It's an easy way to get a lot of damage.
Giving up casting and Turn Undead isn't actually a good idea, because outside of Core there are really good things you can do with them. Most Divine feats but especially Divine Might make Turn Undead useful, and there are some excellent spells like Rhino's Rush (doubles your damage on a charge) out there.

Keld Denar
2011-02-16, 09:31 PM
The trick isn't to give up Turning, but to channel it into a much more positive outlet. Divine Might and Law Devotion are both very great feats offensively, and both are powered by turn undead (DM moreso, but Law Devotion gets extra uses per day).

If you give up casting, you can pick up some bonus feats with the variant in Complete Champion, but I'd avoid the variant in Complete Warrior....it sucks. Note however, that a lot of the later publish Pally spells are swift actions, which means you can cast them and still get your righteous butt-kickery in in a single round. There's also the Battle Blessing feat (CChampion) which makes ALL pally spells swift actions. You could probably get more +damage out of a swift cast Divine Favor than you would out of most bonus feats you could pick up.

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-16, 09:32 PM
If you don't mind learning a new sub-system (or, like me, hate base class gishes), you can always play a Crusader from Tome of Battle, which is basically a paladin, but better.

Akal Saris
2011-02-16, 09:34 PM
The trick isn't to give up Turning, but to channel it into a much more positive outlet. Divine Might and Law Devotion are both very great feats offensively, and both are powered by turn undead (DM moreso, but Law Devotion gets extra uses per day).

If you give up casting, you can pick up some bonus feats with the variant in Complete Champion, but I'd avoid the variant in Complete Warrior....it sucks. Note however, that a lot of the later publish Pally spells are swift actions, which means you can cast them and still get your righteous butt-kickery in in a single round. There's also the Battle Blessing feat (CChampion) which makes ALL pally spells swift actions. You could probably get more +damage out of a swift cast Divine Favor than you would out of most bonus feats you could pick up.

This is good advice. Also, as mentioned earlier, the Charging Smite variant from the PHB II is excellent for a simple kick-butt paladin.

Flickerdart
2011-02-16, 09:44 PM
There's a variant somewhere that trades your save bonus for an AC bonus. If you take a lot of swords to the face, it might be worth considering.

starwoof
2011-02-16, 09:48 PM
I think my favorite paladin variant for a butt-kicker is Paladin of Freedom. It lets you take a level in barbarian for the lion totem ability!

Flickerdart
2011-02-16, 09:50 PM
I think my favorite paladin variant for a butt-kicker is Paladin of Freedom. It lets you take a level in barbarian for the lion totem ability!
Except you still can't advance in Paladin if you multiclass, so you have to take Barbarian first.

Tael
2011-02-16, 09:53 PM
Pathfinder Paladin (The Smite! Oh how I love their smite... and reduced MAD and improved mount, and lay on hands, and casting, and generally abilities past 6th.)
Combine with Mystic Fire Knight substitution levels and Sword of the Arcane Order, and you have a awesome gish capable of dealing massive damage to evil creatures.

mobdrazhar
2011-02-16, 10:28 PM
Except you still can't advance in Paladin if you multiclass, so you have to take Barbarian first.

you can if you take Hellbred for the race

Tyndmyr
2011-02-16, 10:37 PM
The title says it all. I don't know where to look for a comprehensive list of class variants, so any direction is appreciated. Specifically, giving up turning and casting for divine butt whupping (and maaaaaaaaaybe even saccing the mount).

I am currently playing a "paladin". His actual class levels are wizard, and he uses a greatsword. Coming up shortly, human paragon, followed by a lot of eldritch knight and abjurant champion. Actually lawful good, and utilizes appopriate spells. Party has no idea.

Doc Roc
2011-02-17, 03:13 AM
You just made my day.

JaronK
2011-02-17, 03:15 AM

So...Crusader. That would be a "Paladin" with no casting, no Turn Undead, no mount, and lots of butt kicking.

JaronK

Halae
2011-02-17, 03:21 AM
I'm also going to vote for crusader here. The big issure with the fighty classes in 3.5 was they didn't have the special abilities of the mage classes, and didn't get as many ways to use them. this gets you an appropriate middle ground that still gives you excellent versatility while presering the flavor, and even adding some in.

Do yourself a favor - take a least a look at the tome of battle

Tytalus
2011-02-17, 06:16 AM
I am currently playing a "paladin". His actual class levels are wizard, and he uses a greatsword. Coming up shortly, human paragon, followed by a lot of eldritch knight and abjurant champion. Actually lawful good, and utilizes appopriate spells. Party has no idea.

Excellent. Bards work surprisingly well, too.

starwoof
2011-02-17, 07:01 AM

Or just take barbarian after you run out of paladin. The class only goes to level 5. :smalltongue:

Leon
2011-02-17, 07:23 AM
Its a bit Featy but Imp Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike and Snap kick will get you a kicking Pally.

danzibr
2011-02-17, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the ideas everyone. My wife is actually the one going the pally (Goliath at that). I'll be going human Warblade (or maybe Goliath Warblade... unsure). I'll see if she's interested in Crusader.

However, I think the idea of the wizard pally is awesome. Not sure if I can talk her out of Goliath though.

FMArthur
2011-02-17, 09:16 AM
I'll pipe in and add that in Dragon Magic there's an alternate class feature for paladins where you trade your plain horse mount for a Drakkensteed Mount. It's basically a horse with wings that looks like a dragon (and has the dragonblooded subtype).

Thanks for the ideas everyone. My wife is actually the one going the pally (Goliath at that). I'll be going human Warblade (or maybe Goliath Warblade... unsure). I'll see if she's interested in Crusader.

However, I think the idea of the wizard pally is awesome. Not sure if I can talk her out of Goliath though.

Well Goliaths are awesome as warriors anyway. By simply using a two-handed weapon and taking the Knockback (RoS) and Shock Trooper (CW) feats you can have an easy time planting your foes on their asses whereever you want them to be. Combat Brute (CW) provides additional benefits, but mostly this is a Fighter thing to use in conjunction with their Dungeon Crasher option from Dungeonscape, so that when you knock people around they take absurd amounts of damage for it as well. Consider Fighter levels if you do decide to be a Goliath. This strategy is pretty much exclusive to large and Powerful Build creatures, which is why it's kind of a Goliath- and Half-Giant-only niche.