PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hulking Hurler help?

Percival
2011-02-16, 09:49 PM
So, I was reading the "top 10 list of broken things in 3.5" and one mentioned "WarHulkingHurler". Obviously a war hulk/hulking hurler build.

I thought about building one myself and seeing what it would look like, but changed my mind. I just want to make a non-broken hulking hurler. Here's what I have so far. The stat spread that our DM has us using in the current campaign is 17 16 14 13 11 8. I'll be shorting him on his mental ability scores by just throwing away that 11 because I see this character being dumber than the rocks he throws. So:

17 str (21 after mods)
16 dex (14 after mods)
14 con (16 after mods)
6 int
8 wis
13 cha

Might switch the dex and con around, giving him a 12 and 18 respectively.

Race: Goliath (might do half-minotaur template, scrap the gore attack, flavor as half-stone giant. Haven't decided)

Levels
Barbarian 2 (rage and uncanny dodge)
Fighter 2 (bonus feats)
Ranger 1 (favored enemy, more good saves)
Hulking Hurler 3

Flaws
Inattentive (-4 spot and listen)

bold = flaw feat
italics = bonus feat
Feats
1 - Power Attack, Rock Hurling
3 - Weapon Focus [rock], Point Blank Shot
4 - Brutal Throw
6 - Power Throw
9 - Improved Rock Hurling
12 - ???
15 - ???
18 - ???

What else? I've considered master thrower, but I dunno that that fits the flavor of the build. I see master throwers being rather ninja-ish, full of finesse. This guy doesn't do finesse. Also, any more good throwing feats that I might have forgotten?

Waker
2011-02-16, 10:19 PM
You might also wanna consider the Half-Ogre, it's a nice, strong, dumb guy. And I suppose I could chime in about the Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade. Makes for a decent thrower.

Percival
2011-02-16, 11:10 PM
goliath with half-minotaur = +2 LA
half-ogre = +2 LA

I was actually just looking at them in comparison about 30 seconds before this. Goliath with half-minotaur is far superior. Let's compare:

Goliath Half-Minotaur
+8 Strength, +4 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Wis
60' Darkvision
Scent
+2 Natural Armor
+10' move speed = 40' speed

Half-Ogre
+6 Strength, +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Giant Type
60' Darkvision
+4 Natural Armor
only 30' move speed

Also, we've never used ToB in our campaigns, and I am not familiar with it at all. Don't think DM would allow it.

Waker
2011-02-16, 11:15 PM
Where are you getting +2 LA for half-ogre? In Savage Species it's only a +1 LA, but I suppose it may be been reposted somewhere else.

Last Laugh
2011-02-16, 11:16 PM
goliath with half-minotaur = +2 LA
half-ogre = +2 LA

I was actually just looking at them in comparison about 30 seconds before this. Goliath with half-minotaur is far superior. Let's compare:

Goliath Half-Minotaur
+8 Strength, +4 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Wis
60' Darkvision
Scent
+2 Natural Armor
+10' move speed = 40' speed

Half-Ogre
+6 Strength, +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Giant Type
60' Darkvision
+4 Natural Armor
only 30' move speed

Also, we've never used ToB in our campaigns, and I am not familiar with it at all. Don't think DM would allow it.
Don't you also pick up Powerful Build?

Goliath is a strong LA +1 race (strongish, makes good melee.)
Half-Minotaur is a really strong LA +1 Template. Run it by your DM first, see if he'd prefer you use Half-Ogre

Percival
2011-02-16, 11:37 PM
+2 LA Half-ogre is in Races of Destiny. Goliath is +2 as well because it's +1 on its own and gets another +1 from half-minotaur. Not seeing a +1 LA half-ogre in Savage Species

Also, didn't bother mentioning powerful build as it makes a medium creature large-sized when it's a good thing. Half-minotaur just makes him large-sized.

Sir Swindle89
2011-02-17, 02:29 AM
Also, didn't bother mentioning powerful build as it makes a medium creature large-sized when it's a good thing. Half-minotaur just makes him large-sized.

functions in many ways as a creature of one size category larger

so it is still an important ability. i can't see why you would make him a goliath if you though PB was nullified by your template.

Percival
2011-02-17, 02:38 AM
Uh, because of +4 strength, +2 con? Also, flavor purposes. The character would be a half-goliath half-stone giant. I'd drop the gore and scent/track from half-minotaur and just call it half-giant.

Runestar
2011-02-17, 05:46 AM
It's not really hulking hurler which is broken, but the damage tables for throwing items in complete warrior. Hurler just lets you break it more, but even without it, you are still one-shotting foes with ease.

Here's a thread discussing it. Though it is quite primitive by today's standards, since the record of 1 milliond6 damage. :smallamused:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/121355-whats-so-wrong-hulking-hurler.html

linebackeru
2011-02-17, 07:09 AM
It's not really hulking hurler which is broken, but the damage tables for throwing items in complete warrior. Hurler just lets you break it more, but even without it, you are still one-shotting foes with ease.

Here's a thread discussing it. Though it is quite primitive by today's standards, since the record of 1 milliond6 damage. :smallamused:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/121355-whats-so-wrong-hulking-hurler.html

In that thread, the arguments against Complete Warrior's damage tables seem stupid. Some of those posters argue that "damage should scale with object size, not object weight." A balloon and a bowling ball are roughly the same size, so they'd do the same damage if thrown?

While ridiculous, scaling damage with weight is both RAW and sensical.