PDA

View Full Version : Wishing Clarification

CycloneJoker
2011-02-16, 10:27 PM
Okay, I know wish doesn't specify anything about the items you can make, so I was wondering, could you make an Artifact? Say, for example, I wanted to have a Magic Item of, say, command triggered Contingent Resurrection, could I wish one up?

holywhippet
2011-02-16, 11:05 PM
According to the SRD wish includes these options:

- Create a nonmagical item of up to 25,000 gp in value.
- Create a magic item, or add to the powers of an existing magic item.

Now, it's up to the DM but I'd be reluctant to allow a wish to make a magical item that was worth more than 25,000 since you can't make a nonmagical item worth more than that.

There's also this clause:

You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)

Keep in mind, you also need to pay double the normal XP cost of making an item if you wish one up.

It really is up to the DM but I'd be surprised if they allow it.

RaggedAngel
2011-02-16, 11:10 PM
You also have to consider that, depending on the DM, they may be quite liberal with that "but doing so is dangerous clause." I have a DM that, if you wished for said contingent Resurrection, would not only make you pay the enormous XP cost (you would almost certainly lose a level or two, or it would simply fail, depending on his ruleing), but it may even be placed on an unintentional target. Perhaps not an enemy, but he would stick it on the wrong ally or a familiar or something and tell you that you "couldn't control the Wish's mighty magical potential."

A bit mean, perhaps, but entirely within his rights as a DM.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-16, 11:16 PM
I meant going by purely RAW. I have a competition with a friend.

holywhippet
2011-02-17, 01:44 AM
Well, by RAW it's the DMs discretion what happens. I would seriously expect you to run into the clause that says you get a weaker version or an undesirable fulfilment. Like maybe the artifact explodes when you use it, or calls in some really powerful monster. You still get the contingency ressurection, but you are put in a position where you actually need ressurecting - along with the level loss attached to it.

FelixG
2011-02-17, 01:59 AM
by RAW, you can wish for anything on the approved list without the DM smacky hitting you, by RAW yes you could wish for that item and not be smacked. The RAW of Wish does not specify a max gold on a magical item.

Would any sane DM allow it? probably not.

NichG
2011-02-17, 02:05 AM
I suppose if you're being very strict RAW, the iffy bit is if the item in question exists in any book or not. Since while there are guidelines for pricing out new items, there isn't anything that says you can actually have any items other than those specifically listed.

TheOOB
2011-02-17, 02:22 AM
Anything not specifically stated in the description of wish is dangerous and unreliable. As a DM I would follow these guidelines

-Wish will always use an effect within the guidelines if it can
-Wish will fulfill things using the least amount of magic, and impacting the least amount of people possible
-Wish can fizzle if the effect is too powerful and there is no way around it.

That means if you wish for an artifact, you are more likely to learn the location of one.

Kelvara
2011-02-17, 02:32 AM
Yes you can make any magic item with Wish, but if you read it the exp cost part:

XP Cost

The minimum XP cost for casting wish is 5,000 XP. When a wish duplicates a spell that has an XP cost, you must pay 5,000 XP or that cost, whichever is more. When a wish creates or improves a magic item, you must pay twice the normal XP cost for crafting or improving the item, plus an additional 5,000 XP.

So the exp cost of a really powerful item would be enormous, and since you can't spend more exp than would take you down to the minimum required for your level, you likely couldn't make an artifact until epic levels anyway.

Douglas
2011-02-17, 09:01 AM
So you Wish to create an Artifact.
That falls under the pre-approved "Create a magic item" effect on the list.
That particular effect triggers an additional XP cost clause, however.
The amount of additional XP depends on the amount of XP required to craft the item.
Artifacts cannot be crafted (except by certain deities), so the XP cost to craft one is "undefined".
The universe throws an error, "XP cost not defined", and the Wish fails.

Alternatively, it tells you where an existing artifact is, or transports that artifact to you - possibly accompanied by said artifact's owner, who is most likely pissed off about you trying to steal his artifact. Or it might transport you to the artifact.

Or you could try Wishing for a non-artifact custom magic item of command triggered Contingent Resurrection. This would be an enormously powerful and expensive item, with a correspondingly high crafting XP cost. Wishing for an item costs twice as much XP as crafting it, plus another 5000. Wishing for such an item is theoretically possible, but actually having enough spendable XP available to make it work would require being extremely high level, probably well into epic. If you are lower level than that, the spell fails due to insufficient XP.

FelixG
2011-02-17, 09:47 AM
The amount of additional XP depends on the amount of XP required to craft the item.
Artifacts cannot be crafted (except by certain deities), so the XP cost to craft one is "undefined".

"Congrats, you blue screened the universe! jerk!" :smallbiggrin:

one fun Wish: use it on the BBEG, wish for him to have the eye and hand of vecna installed on him, he gains some artifact power sure, but then Vecna knows right where he is....and what better a backlash is there than having a POd god appear and have a beef with the new owner of his stolen goods?

CycloneJoker
2011-02-17, 10:21 AM

Alternatively, it tells you where an existing artifact is, or transports that artifact to you - possibly accompanied by said artifact's owner, who is most likely pissed off about you trying to steal his artifact. Or it might transport you to the artifact.

Or you could try Wishing for a non-artifact custom magic item of command triggered Contingent Resurrection. This would be an enormously powerful and expensive item, with a correspondingly high crafting XP cost. Wishing for an item costs twice as much XP as crafting it, plus another 5000. Wishing for such an item is theoretically possible, but actually having enough spendable XP available to make it work would require being extremely high level, probably well into epic. If you are lower level than that, the spell fails due to insufficient XP.

Only artifacts can get Epic Magic. And I was planning on a Ring of Three Wishes, or a Solar or fifty, to get it. So is the best way to Diplomance a god?

Asheram
2011-02-17, 10:23 AM
"Congrats, you blue screened the universe! jerk!" :smallbiggrin:

one fun Wish: use it on the BBEG, wish for him to have the eye and hand of vecna installed on him, he gains some artifact power sure, but then Vecna knows right where he is....and what better a backlash is there than having a POd god appear and have a beef with the new owner of his stolen goods?

*coughs* Head of Vecna.

Anyhow, if I've made my math correctly,and I'm very unsure I have (these rules for custom magic item creation is a pain), such an item would cost...
To buy 1,182,000gp
To create 591.000gp and 47,280xp

Edit: Ah! Looking down at douglas post now and I got it.
Yeah, I agree with him. This item above is just "a slotless ressurection at will"

Douglas
2011-02-17, 10:31 AM
Only artifacts can get Epic Magic. And I was planning on a Ring of Three Wishes, or a Solar or fifty, to get it. So is the best way to Diplomance a god?
Oh wait, you were referring to this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/contingentResurrection.htm) instead of some clever rules abuse I can't think of at the moment? Yeah, that would have to be an artifact, and that means enlisting a god's aid is the only way you can legitimately create one by RAW. More specifically, you'd have to get the aid of a god that has the Craft Artifact (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#craftArtifact) Salient Divine Ability.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-17, 10:43 AM
Oh wait, you were referring to this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/contingentResurrection.htm) instead of some clever rules abuse I can't think of at the moment? Yeah, that would have to be an artifact, and that means enlisting a god's aid is the only way you can legitimately create one by RAW. More specifically, you'd have to get the aid of a god that has the Craft Artifact (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#craftArtifact) Salient Divine Ability.

Yes, though I believe, about five minutes ago, a way to get that without epic magic. Ring of use-activated True Res, and set the use to dying. Not sure if that works, but meh.

Douglas
2011-02-17, 11:07 AM
Yes, though I believe, about five minutes ago, a way to get that without epic magic. Ring of use-activated True Res, and set the use to dying. Not sure if that works, but meh.
It could conceivably work, but I think only a very generous and permissive DM would approve it. Even with it approved, the Wish to create it would cost 31120 XP, so you'd have to be a level 32 character to have enough XP available to use. Crafting it normally would require an epic crafting feat due to the item's price being beyond the epic threshold, so either way you'd have to be epic.

You could, of course, use various shenanigans to remove the XP cost, but if measures like that are being allowed then something like this is chump change compared to the real abuses it opens up.

holywhippet
2011-02-17, 07:24 PM
I kind of have to imagine this scenario:

1) Player activates contingent ressurection.

2) Monster swallows PC whole and kills them.

3) One minute passes.

4) PC returns to life but is still in stomach and thus dies again soon after.