PDA

View Full Version : Why do cats and lions have the same ECL? (Savage Species)

danzibr
2011-02-17, 10:57 AM
This just seems ridiculous to me. I was wanting to play as a cat ninja until I saw that a cat has a LA of +1 and 1 racial hit die (the same as a freakin' lion). If anyone knows of 3.5 stuff that would let me play as an anthropomorphic cat with no LA or racial hit die I'd be very interested.

WalkingTarget
2011-02-17, 11:03 AM
This just seems ridiculous to me. I was wanting to play as a cat ninja until I saw that a cat has a LA of +1 and 1 racial hit die (the same as a freakin' lion). If anyone knows of 3.5 stuff that would let me play as an anthropomorphic cat with no LA or racial hit die I'd be very interested.

This may be a dumb question, excuse me if it is, but can't you just claim "I'm playing an anthropomorphic cat" and just use whatever base stats are available or were you looking for mechanical bonuses for being a cat (which, from what I'm aware, is the point of LA in the first place)?

Not trying to be antagonistic, I'm just curious.

Levithix
2011-02-17, 11:04 AM
Well, anthropomorphic lion has 2 RHD, unless I'm misreading it, in savage species, which is much worse then 1RHD since with only 1RHD, you can replace it with a class level, not sure of the source, but I know it's true.

Kobold Esq
2011-02-17, 11:08 AM
Why not just play catfolk from Races of the Wild?

danzibr
2011-02-17, 11:15 AM
WalkingTarget: I'm not interested in the mechanical bonuses. I had an idea of playing a Narnia campaign a while ago (where everyone is an anthropomorphic animal... no sons of Adam or daughters of Eve) and I simply wanted to be a cat. I guess I did want to be small enough to be thrown easily by another party member, a Goliath paladin (played by my wife).

Levithix: Oh, whoops. I had no idea you can replace 1 racial HD with a class level. And... I also didn't realize lions have 2 racial HD. I was doing this from memory. Man, that makes my rant look silly.

Kobold Esq: The answer to your question is addressed in how I responded to WalkingTarget. I want to actually be an animal, preferably one small enough to be chucked by a Goliath.

A side note to all: I wanted to be a cat ninja (or something similar).

gbprime
2011-02-17, 11:16 AM
I don't understand the anthro cat entry either. Net +0 in stats, small size, no racial HD for a +1 LA. The Lion meanwhile has net +12 in stats, med size, +3 Nat Armor, and 2 racial HD for a +1 LA. Cheetah... net +20 in stats, med size, +1 Nat Armor, 40' move, and 2 racial HD for a +2 LA.

Clearly the racial HD must be worth some kind of discount, but that's not mentioned in their formula.

ECL and LA in 3.0. Go figure.

Kobold Esq
2011-02-17, 11:29 AM
Ohhh...

You want more Puss In Boots, less Tony the Tiger.

Hyfigh
2011-02-17, 11:30 AM
Why not use the Savage Species progession rules for the SRD cat and lion? This way you don't need to worry so much about the cats (lack-of) hit dice...

true_shinken
2011-02-17, 11:49 AM
Play a tibbit.

WalkingTarget
2011-02-17, 11:55 AM
WalkingTarget: I'm not interested in the mechanical bonuses. I had an idea of playing a Narnia campaign a while ago (where everyone is an anthropomorphic animal... no sons of Adam or daughters of Eve) and I simply wanted to be a cat. I guess I did want to be small enough to be thrown easily by another party member, a Goliath paladin (played by my wife).

Halfling fluffed as being a cat? (and use the lower end of the numbers for size/weight that being Small implies?)

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-17, 12:59 PM
GitP Monster Classes to the rescue: Awakened Cat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9959014&postcount=442) and Anthropomorphic Animal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9187907&postcount=1413).

arguskos
2011-02-17, 01:11 PM
Play a tibbit.
Seriously, do this. It's an LA +0 player race that is designed to do what you want. Dragon Compendium (and if your DM is really permitting Savage Species, I doubt he'll have an issue with DC).

danzibr
2011-02-17, 10:35 PM
I recently acquired the Dragon Compendium Volume 1 and... Tibbit looks awesome, but not quiiiiiiiite what I want. I was hoping to be fully functional in cat form. Still, I just may go that. Thanks all.