PDA

View Full Version : [4e] PHB1 Bloodmage Wizard

Zombimode
2011-02-17, 11:39 AM
It turns out I am finaly geting to play a PnP game again. The system is 4e, but for no good reason restricted to PHB1 without errata. Well, ok, whatever.

My class choice is set with Wizard, and my PP is also set with Bloodmage.

The game starts at level 9. My build so far:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Balthus, level 9
Human, Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Orb of Imposition

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 20, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 23 Fort: 16 Reflex: 20 Will: 21
HP: 60 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +13, Arcana +14, History +14, Nature +13, Dungeoneering +13, Religion +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Endurance +5, Heal +8, Intimidate +3, Perception +8, Stealth +4, Streetwise +3, Thievery +4, Athletics +4

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Human: Action Surge
Level 1: Initiate of the Faith
Level 2: Armor Proficiency (Leather)
Level 4: Burning Blizzard
Level 6: Toughness
Level 8: Durable

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Thunderwave
Wizard at-will 1: Ray of Frost
Wizard at-will 1: Scorching Burst
Wizard encounter 1: Icy Terrain
Wizard daily 1: Sleep
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Freezing Cloud
Wizard utility 2: Shield
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Feather Fall
Wizard encounter 3: Color Spray
Wizard daily 5: Bigby's Icy Grasp
Wizard daily 5 Spellbook: Fireball
Wizard utility 6: Wall of Fog
Wizard utility 6 Spellbook: Dispel Magic
Wizard encounter 7: Winter's Wrath
Wizard daily 9: Ice Storm
Wizard daily 9 Spellbook: Mordenkainen's Sword

ITEMS
Spellbook, Orb of Reversed Polarities +2, Delver's Leather Armor +2, Symbol of Hope +1, Staff of the War Mage +1
======

Level 10 feat will be Wintertouched, and you may guess what the level 11 feat will be...
(The DM will get what he is asking for: Wintertouched+Lasting frost on every character, two bloodmages, and I wouldnt be suprised if we get a ranger with blade cascade later on).

So far I think this is a solid build, but there is certainly room for optimisation.
For instance I am not content with my level 4 feat choice: +1 to damage (sometimes), whoopydo. But I havent found something better...
I thought about switching Dex with Con and grabbing Quickdraw, but then I realized that there are not really many implements that I could use to good effect.
Which brings me to the next weak point: equipment. We start with standart wealth, but Im not sure what I should do with it. The symbol of hope and the staff of the War Mage are good picks for versatility, but I am uncertain about my main implement and other main equipment.

As for the powers, I think my selection is ok, but on the other hand I have only limited play experience with 4e and next to no experience with the Wizard in 4e.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :smallsmile:

RagnaroksChosen
2011-02-17, 11:46 AM
I belive un errataed you want to pick up cause fear from the cleric's powers though the multiclass feat.

Cause fear makes the creature move which un errattaed triggers the blood mage abilities,

Kurald Galain
2011-02-17, 11:58 AM
It turns out I am finaly geting to play a PnP game again. The system is 4e, but for no good reason restricted to PHB1 without errata.
Whoo! Blood Mage without errata is horrendously overpowered.

Anyway. I'd recommend a starting with 19 or 20 int; wizards are one of the least attribute-dependent classes in the game.

In the PHB1, your feat choice is restricted, and you're missing out on such gems as Enlarge Spell. That said, Burning Blizzard is still a really bad feat, and getting both Toughness and Durable is probably overkill. Toughness is best at low level, when your HP are low.

Improved Initiative is a good feat, and the cleric MC is, too. I would also recommend Weapon Focus (staff). Action Surge is not bad in PHB1-only, but is quite a lot overrated. In fact, you won't get much mileage out of being human, since there aren't enough useful feats in the PHB1 (nor at-wills, for that matter). Have you considered being an Eladrin or Tiefling?

Your spellbook is mostly solid, except that you're missing out on the trio of Flaming Sphere, Stinking Cloud, and Wall of Fire. They are much better than Freezing Burst, Fireball, and Ice Storm respectively. I'm afraid Fireball is one of the worst wizard powers in 4E; as a rule of thumb, avoid any daily powers that don't last the entire encounter. Also, Jump is an oft-overlooked little gem, and is certainly better than Feather Fall.

If you can afford it, Deathcut armor is excellent, and so is the Cloak of Survival.

You don't need Cause Fear to move people around; Thunderwave also does the trick.

Zombimode
2011-02-17, 12:05 PM
Hm, I think Cause Fear would even work with CB Blood Pulse.

But the problem with Cause Fear is that it is keyed of charisma. I my char has a negative CH mod.

With that, it would deal about 5W6 damage and targets will. But it targets only one creature. If Cause Fear would use Wis for the effect or if it were a Blast 3 or something, I would consider it. But in this state giving away a feat and one of my battlefield controll spells seems not like a good bargain.

Thanks for the input nevertheless.

Zombimode
2011-02-17, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the advise, Kurald :smallsmile:

Some comments:

That said, Burning Blizzard is still a really bad feat, and getting both Toughness and Durable is probably overkill. Toughness is best at low level, when your HP are low.

Maybe, but my rational is to be prepared for the worst. I dont know this DM. Maybe staying power will be an issue. Also I figured as a Bloodmage I will pull out the Emo quite often and hurt myself ;) so those extra HP and surges will come in handy.

Improved Initiative is a good feat, and the cleric MC is, too. I would also recommend Weapon Focus (staff). Action Surge is not bad in PHB1-only, but is quite a lot overrated.

Improved Initiativ, of course. But why weapon focus?

In fact, you won't get much mileage out of being human, since there aren't enough useful feats in the PHB1 (nor at-wills, for that matter). Have you considered being an Eladrin or Tiefling?

Yeah, but beeing human is more a personal preference than anything else. I just like playing humans. At least, with a human I dont have to be horny the whole time :smallcool:

If you can afford it, Deathcut armor is excellent, and so is the Cloak of Survival.

Ah yes, exellent properties :smallsmile:
I think the following will be my starting equipment:

Level-1: Orb of inevitable continuance +2
Level: Cloak of Survival +2
Level+1: Deathcut armor +2
Symbol of Hope+1, Staff of the War Mage +1
Plus whatever in gold I will have left.

Sipex
2011-02-17, 01:04 PM
With level 9 starting gold, if you can spare 1000 gold (check the book to make sure) I also recommend getting a bag of holding as not only are they useful for carrying stuff, they're easily used to aid in creative solutions to non-combat problems.

Talk to your DM about this before buying the bag of course. State things like "If I wanted to step into a bag of holding and be carried a short distance, would this be possible?"

Zombimode
2011-02-17, 01:14 PM
With level 9 starting gold, if you can spare 1000 gold (check the book to make sure)

Are you sure?
The Character Builder gives me 3400 gold which is equal to the worth of a magic item of level 8 (so level-1). This is in line what I remember: you get a number of gold pieces equal the value of a magic item of level-1.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-17, 01:15 PM
Improved Initiativ, of course. But why weapon focus?
Because pre-errata, it works on all attacks with a staff, including implement attacks.

Level-1: Orb of inevitable continuance +2
Staff of the War Mage +1
These two are a wizard's best friend.