PDA

View Full Version : Fictional Weapon Manufacturer/model Names

Lolzords
2011-02-17, 04:29 PM
Hey, I'm running a post-apocalyptic game, and I've decided to make most of the weapons laser weapons. Thing is, I'm having trouble thinking up lots of different names for the different manufacturers and models, could anyone give me some ideas?

The Big Dice
2011-02-17, 04:48 PM
If it's set on Earth, why not use real manufacturer names?

Amnestic
2011-02-17, 04:54 PM
"Steal names from other sources" is my impeccable advice. Mass Effect would be a decent starting point I'd have thought since they have a decent range of weapons manufacturers. The Armored Core series would also be a good place to look.

Ertwin
2011-02-17, 04:57 PM
I remember in one Star Wars RPG I had a blaster made by the great weaponsmith Adrian Getto. Just for the puntastic Getto Blaster.:smallsmile:

Techsmart
2011-02-17, 05:04 PM
If it takes more than one bullet, then you weren't using a jakobs.
yeah, I would either pull from real sources (maybe make some changes so people don't immediately catch on), or from other games, such as borderlands.
If you are looking to make your own, just some suggestions from me.
short and sweet - Nobody is gonna remember "super awesome gun manufacturer with 20 words to my name." From a business perspective, long names are bad ideas.
this is a business - Naming them after the owner is common, but it should, otherwise, be very focused on their product, and isn't too far out there ("Shield brand offensive weaponry" is kinda silly).

Kurald Galain
2011-02-17, 05:04 PM
Find any number of classical sun gods and name the light weapons after that?

Khatoblepas
2011-02-17, 05:09 PM
Manufacturers:
Bigg & Strong Arms Inc. (for those big guns)
Futuretek (for fancy, feature filled and undependable handguns)
Prismabeam Firearms (for coloured lasers!)
Babel Technologies (Nice tech, shame about the apocalypse)
Fire & Light Enterprises (flashy guns)
Lonestar Armourers (Dependable handguns)
Hybris Orbital (Huge guns, possibly dangerous)
Pulsar Worldwide (generic brand)

Models:
OF-45 (Old Faithful 45 - a laser handgun)
Skyripper 4000
BS-75h (Bigg & Strong 75 handheld - a laser minigun)
HO Heavenly Wrath - The Closest Thing You Get to Nuking Sodom.

Basically, make the manufacturer names as ironic and ignorant of the coming apocalypse as possible. It just feels better that way when you pick up some old tech from the old world. Like they're naive even if they had more capability for tech.

Tankadin
2011-02-17, 05:59 PM
Switch syllables of lots of place names or last names?

Holmstock
Lewbur
Denbi
Yerme
Kvamos
Donlon
Onmerca

Or any of the other suggestions here would work as well.

Fioyl
2011-02-17, 06:28 PM
Fallout is post-apocalyptic (per se) and they used manufacturer names like Glock, Red Ryder, and Mauser.

Edit: They used Colt, H&K, Winchester, and Sig-Sauer, to name a few. If they can get away with it in a licensed game, you shouldn't have any problem using them in your campaign unless you want to be creative.

Imperial Psycho
2011-02-17, 06:31 PM
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Corporations

Doc Roc
2011-02-17, 06:35 PM
Beggel & Lockes is one of my favorites.

Zaq
2011-02-17, 07:19 PM
Most of the Shadowrun megacorps have names that wouldn't seem out of place here, if you're just looking to cannibalize existing material.

dsmiles
2011-02-17, 07:22 PM
Smith & Wesson
Thompson
Beretta
Glock
Hipoint
Mossberg
Savage
Colt

Any questions? :smallwink:

Re'ozul
2011-02-17, 09:39 PM
Toha heavy Industries
Gauss Inc
Lastech
4th State Industries
B.E.A.M.
Light & Wily
Phasetek
O.C.P.

Vrythas
2011-02-17, 11:15 PM
Blastech (gun company)
D-Flecht Shields (shielding company)
Arme & Gedon (Various large, "big boom", weapons)
Stell R. Tech (misc weapons/armor)
Meteor Industries (anything you want)
Vapor-Icer (gun name)
Far-Beam Inc. (sniper/long range guns)
Space-Flight Intg. (Intg. = intergalactic....transport - do you need stuff like that? i thought to add it while i was posting)
Light Sorce (ammunition manufacturer)

yeah, that's what i could come up with off the top of my head. hope you find some of them helpful....

herrhauptmann
2011-02-18, 02:01 AM
Beggel & Lockes is one of my favorites.

*facepalm*
Please tell me other people see it too.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 02:07 AM
*facepalm*
Please tell me other people see it too.

Players will happily use a B&L Shotgun for months before noticing.

Mando Knight
2011-02-18, 02:21 AM
For energy weapons in a future-Earth setting, you can also use Westinghouse and General Electric. Bonus points if Westinghouse makes a lightning gun and calls it the TS-1A or some similar model name.

John Campbell
2011-02-18, 02:58 AM
Most of the Shadowrun megacorps have names that wouldn't seem out of place here, if you're just looking to cannibalize existing material.

Shadowrun uses a lot of real-world firearms manufacturers, too, often with model names slightly tweaked from real-world guns. I recall offhand Colt, Browning (the MaxPower vs. the RL HiPower), Remington, Ruger (Super Warhawk vs. RL Redhawk), and Heckler & Koch in there alongside Ares and the other fictional megacorps. The laser weapons are all Ares, though, IIRC.

Tharkie
2011-02-18, 05:18 AM
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Manufacturer
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons_by_prefix

Yora
2011-02-18, 06:22 AM
I always buy Seburo and hope the GM doesn't notice. :smallbiggrin:

Tetsubo 57
2011-02-18, 09:42 AM
A company name I made up for some sci-fi weapon sketches I did was Infinity Arms. They mostly make gladiatorial weapons.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-18, 09:53 AM
Why, the obvious of course, Misters Burleigh and Stronginthearm!

Shademan
2011-02-18, 10:02 AM

I dont see it...

dsmiles
2011-02-18, 10:06 AM
Beggel & Lockes is one of my favorites.Honestly, I can't believe I missed that my first time through. I do enjoy a B&L from time to time, but I prefer Mr. Beggel's Philadelphia manufacturer.

Noedig
2011-02-18, 10:25 AM
I second the use of Borderlands for company names and slogans. They were very well done.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-18, 10:26 AM
I dont see it...

Bagel & lox is a kind of food.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-18, 10:29 AM
I dont see it...
Oy vey!:smallsigh:

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-18, 10:30 AM

And, well, it's kosher. :smalltongue:

BRC
2011-02-18, 10:34 AM
Puns and references. Borderlands is a good source.

Other ideas
Alpha Arms -> Troubleshooter Series laser weapons.
Strangelove Arms: With the ever popular Muffley, Ripper, and Mandrake class weapons!

Yora
2011-02-18, 10:43 AM
Let me guess: Salmon?

Ravens_cry
2011-02-18, 10:51 AM
It is rumoured they produced an action movie featuring their weapons as advertising, Lox, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
Bad puns aside, I have a question on the basic premise, Lolzords. Now its your world and maybe laser guns are easier to make then kinetic chemical based ones, for some reason, but in a post apocalyptic world, I would imagine people going back to simpler weapons. A laser gun, requiring all sorts of complicated parts and en extremely dense power supply, requires a lot of infrastructure to be feasible and post apocalyptic is about after the infrastructure of civilisation breaks down. Shoot, we can't make one now, at least one that does more then pop balloons, light matches, and blind people. Of course, in a world that rose so high that laser weapons became predominate, carrying on using the few left after the end would make sense.

Shademan
2011-02-18, 10:57 AM

so instead of explaining it, youre gonna shout savage-tounged curses at me. thats nice

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-18, 11:00 AM
so instead of explaining it, youre gonna shout savage-tounged curses at me. thats nice

Oy vey is not a curse. It's the shortened form of "oy vey ist mir", which translates into "oh woe is me". :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-02-18, 11:09 AM
Sense Motive is a cross-class skill for me, are you serious?
I don't think you are, but just to be sure . . .
Beggel & Lockes is a pun on Bagel and Lox, a Ashkenazic Jewish food. Oy Vey is a Yiddish expression. Yiddish is language that was commonly spoken by Ashkenazic Jews in the past. Lox refers to a kind of preserved salmon, brined in various ways and often smoked. Bagels are a dense ring shaped bread.

Christopher K.
2011-02-18, 01:02 PM
Strohl Munitions for all your plasma cannon needs. [/Schlock]

Ravens_cry
2011-02-18, 01:06 PM
Strohl Munitions for all your plasma cannon needs. [/Schlock]
Their latest model doesn't have that OMMMINOUS HUMMMMM quality though.:smallannoyed:

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 02:36 PM
Sense Motive is a cross-class skill for me, are you serious?
I don't think you are, but just to be sure . . .
Beggel & Lockes is a pun on Bagel and Lox, a Ashkenazic Jewish food. Oy Vey is a Yiddish expression. Yiddish is language that was commonly spoken by Ashkenazic Jews in the past. Lox refers to a kind of preserved salmon, brined in various ways and often smoked. Bagels are a dense ring shaped bread.

Interesting note about bagels. Properly prepared, they are actually par-boiled, which makes them very nearly unique among breads, and lends them some of their density. Often, after this, they are egg-washed and then baked at high heat to give them gloss and a bit of a crust to go with their interior chew.

Gefil Tactical Equipment is also lovely.

dsmiles
2011-02-18, 02:39 PM
Interesting note about bagels. Properly prepared, they are actually par-boiled, which makes them very nearly unique among breads, and lends them some of their density. Often, after this, they are egg-washed and then baked at high heat to give them gloss and a bit of a crust to go with their interior chew.

You forgot the important bit: Bagels are the most awesome bread ever. (Too bad I can't find any real bagels in Virginia. :smallfrown:)

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 02:40 PM
You forgot the important bit: Bagels are the most awesome bread ever. (Too bad I can't find any real bagels in Virginia. :smallfrown:)

Are you near Richmond or Norfolk? Both have a couple of lovely delis.

I always thought Norfolk Sea & Air would make a lovely company name for the far future.

dsmiles
2011-02-18, 02:41 PM
Are you near Richmond or Norfolk??

Stafford/Fred-burg.

EDIT: SWEET! I'm a Troll now!

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 02:42 PM
Stafford/Fred-burg.

Oh, you're probably screwed. Let me recommend Yelp.com, but I don't know how much it'll help. I'm a former Richmonder, and seriously, bagels were never terribly hard to find. There was even a little bakery downtown that did fresh challah.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-18, 03:11 PM

Gefil Tactical Equipment is also lovely.
At least the way Good Eats makes them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZR_evWiDbY), Homemade Pretzels are also boiled, in this case in a baking soda solution.
Um, weapon manufacturer names eh?
Acme for the crazier, more experimental kind might be fun.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 03:14 PM
At least the way Good Eats makes them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZR_evWiDbY), Homemade Pretzels are also boiled, in this case in a baking soda solution.
Um, weapon manufacturer names eh?
Acme for the crazier, more experimental kind might be fun.

That's a fairly unusual approach, to my knowledge, and an interesting one. Thanks much for the vid!

Alton Brown Tactical Rations?

Ravens_cry
2011-02-18, 03:31 PM
That's a fairly unusual approach, to my knowledge, and an interesting one. Thanks much for the vid!

Alton Brown Tactical Rations?
It's Not Just a Roll, It's a Military Secret.:smalltongue:

Lolzords
2011-02-18, 03:42 PM
Bad puns aside, I have a question on the basic premise, Lolzords. Now its your world and maybe laser guns are easier to make then kinetic chemical based ones, for some reason, but in a post apocalyptic world, I would imagine people going back to simpler weapons. A laser gun, requiring all sorts of complicated parts and en extremely dense power supply, requires a lot of infrastructure to be feasible and post apocalyptic is about after the infrastructure of civilisation breaks down. Shoot, we can't make one now, at least one that does more then pop balloons, light matches, and blind people. Of course, in a world that rose so high that laser weapons became predominate, carrying on using the few left after the end would make sense.

I was watching those new My Chemical Romance videos, and I thought it'd be a lark if everyone had rayguns in the post-apocalyptic game I was building. So I decided to make the game more wacky than serious, which is why there's a double barreled laser shotgun. :smallwink:

Also thanks for the suggestions everyone, it's all been very useful. :smallbiggrin:

Amnestic
2011-02-18, 03:58 PM
I was watching those new My Chemical Romance videos, and I thought it'd be a lark if everyone had rayguns in the post-apocalyptic game I was building. So I decided to make the game more wacky than serious, which is why there's a double barreled laser shotgun. :smallwink:

Also thanks for the suggestions everyone, it's all been very useful. :smallbiggrin:

If you're going for whacky, why only double? :smallamused:

Lolzords
2011-02-18, 04:31 PM
If you're going for whacky, why only double? :smallamused:

Well Farmer Giles needs a double barrel to defend his radiation farm. :smallamused:

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-18, 04:47 PM
Well Farmer Giles needs a double barrel to defend his radiation farm. :smallamused:

I can already imagine it.

"Get off mah terri-toreh, yah goddamn mutie Yankees!"

Followed by two shots from the laser shotgun.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 04:51 PM
Farmer Giles only needs one shot.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-18, 04:52 PM
Farmer Giles only needs one shot.

There is no kill like overkill, though.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 04:55 PM
There is no kill like overkill, though.

Actually, my experience indicates that kill is almost identical to overkill, except you have more ammunition afterwards, and there's less collateral damage.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-18, 04:56 PM
Actually, my experience indicates that kill is almost identical to overkill, except you have more ammunition afterwards, and there's less collateral damage.

Obviously, your experience is wrong. Overkill gets you more XP, you see.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 05:07 PM
Obviously, your experience is wrong. Overkill gets you more XP, you see.

Only in Exalted.

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-18, 05:08 PM
Only in Exalted.

What? No. Exalted never gives XP for kills.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 05:09 PM
What? No. Exalted never gives XP for kills.

Yes, so over-kill is probably worth more, neh? Particularly if it's spectacular and wins the affection of the party and GM?

Lolzords
2011-02-18, 05:25 PM
You guys are forgetting the experience style bonus.

herrhauptmann
2011-02-18, 05:34 PM

Do they also sell the Schme AR for those times when you need more range than a shotgun?

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-18, 05:36 PM
You guys are forgetting the experience style bonus.

Yes, but those are not for kills, just stunts. You can get that from just having a really good cooking description.