PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] WBL God

penbed400
2011-02-17, 07:17 PM
So in Pathfinder it was changed so that in order to create a magic item you no longer need to spend experience points, but now rather you must make a Spellcraft check to see if the item was made correctly.

Doesn't this essentially make taking the Item Crafting feats cause the wizard to make the party's WBL increase by 2x its original amount for the price of...a common feat they can get as a bonus feat and putting ranks into a skill they would have done anyways? This is incredibly powerful.

The rules also mention that you can decrease the price even further by making an item only available to certain people. This can mean that the WBL of the party increases by 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.3 x 1.1 = 2.7885.

Now under these said rules the algorithm for creating a continuous magic item is:
spell level x caster level x 2,000. With extra multipliers being added in depending on duration. So a cape that casts the spell Vanish continuously would cost 1 x 1 x 2,000 x 4(for its short duration) as its base price. The total for the item being specifically crafted for a party member would only come out to 1,746gold. Now my question is whether or not this stays active all the time. The example item given is The Lantern of Revealing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items#TOC-Lantern-of-Revealing)

I read it as if it means that the spell is continuous for whenever you are wearing the cape, and the fact that the spell acts as if the spell had been cast is what determines it being dis-activated by dispel magic, etc.

My room mate reads it as if it means that it only works for the duration of the spell as if it had been cast on the person, and only does it once a day.

Opinions?

Rixx
2011-02-17, 07:59 PM
The wondrous item creation table is a guideline, not a rule, and is not balanced for unrestricted use.

Mojo_Rat
2011-02-17, 10:50 PM
except there is already a continuous use invisibility item the ring of invisibility. this tells you exactly a) what a invis item should cost and b)The mechanics of how it should work

as the poster above me said they are guidelines, if ay any point they appear to produce something ridiculous it should be just ignored. always compare an item to existing items to get an idea of what the costs should be.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-17, 10:56 PM
Yeah, it does rather skew with wealth by level. On the other hand, you may or may not have the time to make the item, depending on campaign. Crafting takes time, time you may not have. Also, you are spending resources by spending feats to do so, feats that technically can be spent elsewhere.
And yeah, the item creation rules are guidelines. The Tomes in Pathfinder explicitly break the 'half price to make' rule.