PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler

Amador
2011-02-17, 07:29 PM
Hello Playground,

I am playing a beguiler in a semi-social campaign. We're about to hit level 4 at which point my current combat tactic will be largely useless. I was wondering how to go about battle field control with illusions and enchantments? These spells are awesome for non-combat and defensive work I've found but I'm not sure how to use them in an offensive manner. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-17, 07:37 PM
Beguilers also have a lot of illusions, and if you are creative you can do whatever you want with them, if you go certain route you can even make illusions more real than reality itself!!! (Shadow craft mage shenanigans)

Kurald Galain
2011-02-17, 07:39 PM
Illusions can be awesome in combat, it just requires a bit of creativity. For example, create illusory allies, so the enemies don't know whom to attack. Create illusory danger (e.g. fire) to prevent your opponents from moving where they want. Create illusory walls to hide stuff, including yourself.

Paul H
2011-02-17, 07:40 PM
Hi

Erm - Glitterdust? That's the biggie.

Also - Ghost Sound, followed by an Illusion, has worked for me. (Chittering Rat Swarms arriving from sewers, Guards arriving outside, etc....).

And the feat combo SF Enchants/Unsettling Enchants works well too. Hit the baddy with Whelm. Even if it passes it's save, it's still -2 Attacks/AC for one round. (Doesn't work on those immune to mind affecting enchants).

I could go on, but time limits ..............

Thanks
Paul H

Gavinfoxx
2011-02-17, 10:06 PM
Just check the Beguiler Handbook!

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2322

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-17, 11:04 PM
You're never useless as long as you have glitterdust. Blinding Color Surge is also an amazing spell, and don't under-estimate the odd touch of stupidity vs. casters.

Amador
2011-02-17, 11:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I've never played a support styled caster and don't want to feel totally useless when I don't kill anything in combat. Also, Handbook = Happy

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-18, 12:41 AM
Check out the feat Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon, and see what your DM thinks about its interaction with your character's knowledge of every spell on his class list that he can cast. Many will agree that this feat alone allows early access to the next higher level of spells, while others insist that it must be combined with something like Heighten Spell to cast spells of the next level in practice prior to gaining knowledge of them. If alone this feat will give early access to higher level spells, then definitely take it as it will permit higher level spells via advanced learning.

If you're not good aligned, definitely take one level of Mindbender (CA) at the earliest opportunity. This will put your Advanced Learning class feature at even-numbered character levels, thus enabling them to grant you spells of one higher level than staying single-classed. You'll also gain Telepathy 100 ft., which is extremely useful on its own, and even better it qualifies you for the feat Mindsight in Lords of Madness.

These two things combined, a dip to put Advanced Learning on the even levels and Versatile Spellcaster granting early access to the next higher level of spells, will make your Advanced Learning spell levels 2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 9th. My personal favorites for these are Ray of Stupidity, Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Greater Shadow Evocation, and Superior Invisibility. Ray of Stupidity destroys Int-based spellcasters, automatically one-shots animals and other low-Int monsters, and two-shots a majority of physically dangerous foes. Shadow Form permits Hide checks despite opponents with Darkvision or Low-Light vision, and combined with high Escape Artist ranks can get you out of nearly anything. Greater Shadow Conjuration/Evocation are clearly your *best* choices for higher level selections, the amount of versatility they add is unparalleled. Superior Invisibility is the absolute best spell of its type, and fairly necessary by that level.

For what spells you should be casting, Silence targeted at a point in space near an enemy spellcaster can ruin their day. Especially if you ready an action to do it while they're casting a spell with a verbal component as it automatically ruins their spell, since there's no saving throw this way. Glitterdust has already been mentioned, it's one of the most powerful 2nd level spells in the game. When you get 3rd level spells you'll be able to use Slow, Suggestion, and Hold Person, along with Haste and Glibness. At 4th level there's Confusion and Solid Fog, both extremely useful. You have plenty of crowd control choices for every spell level you can cast, it's just a matter of reading through the class list and knowing what each spell does.

If you don't think that will be sufficient, Eternal Wands in MIC are usable by anyone capable of casting arcane spells, regardless of whether or not the spell it contains appears on your class list. Get one containing Web, and another with Bands of Steel, each is usable 2/day which is probably all you'll need. Both of those spells have a secondary, often detrimental effect even on a successful save, which completely ignore Evasion and similar abilities. Use Bands of Steel on a single opponent or especially a foe using wings to fly. Web is great for taking half your opponents out of the fight while the rest of your party can deal with the other half.

Other items to consider include the Raiment of the Four set in MIC, which allow you to spend your spell slots to cast Magic Missile, Fireball, and Teleport, depending on which parts of the set you have. They all have useful passive benefits as well, and the two that grant offensive spells are fairly easy to afford.

Gnome Alone
2011-02-18, 01:04 AM
We're about to hit level 4 at which point my current combat tactic will be largely useless.

Is it feinting?

Anyway, good luck. Man, I wanna play a beguiler, it seems like a lot of fun.

Amador
2011-02-18, 04:57 PM
Actually combat has consisted of everyone else kicking ass and me sleeping or color spraying things for CDG. Works well until the opponents have more than 4hd

Dreadn4ught
2011-02-18, 05:20 PM
You think you will be useless with 2nd level spells?

Invisibility: An EXTREMELY useful spell. Casting it on anyone will be helpful.
Minor image: With a little creativity, can work wonders.
Glitterdust: Can I get a "yes?"
Blur: Cast it on the tank!

Run out of spells? Mundane crossbow artillery is always welcome, I guess...

faceroll
2011-02-18, 05:40 PM
Blinding Color Surge is a great opener, and Glitterdust is pretty much always beast. The Beguiler is my favorite class, hands down.

FMArthur
2011-02-18, 05:51 PM
edit: sorry wrong thread

Barlen
2011-02-18, 08:02 PM
You also get hypnotic pattern (2d4+level hd = 5+4=9hd ave) at that level. And hypnotism (2d4 = 5 hd ave) from level 1 might still work on some and you can use it to ask to borrow their weapon.