PDA

View Full Version : Items that Grant Feats

Elric VIII
2011-02-17, 07:52 PM
I currently have Craft Wonderous Item and I would like to help boost the party a bit. You can make all of the various bonuses, spell effects, and special abilities by using the charts in the DMG and MIC. I would like to try to find a pricing scheme (or just the items themselves) for creating items that grant feats.

I am most interested in something along the lines of a set of gloves that grants Craft Magic Arms and Armor, a quill that grants Scribe Scroll, etc. Do such things exist?

Kuma Kode
2011-02-17, 08:07 PM
Never heard of anything like that... since it sounds potentially quite abusive to be able to essentially craft other crafting feats.

Thurbane
2011-02-17, 08:16 PM
No official rules for this, AFAIK.

If you're going to houserule it, I would recommend making the items heavy and immobile, such as anvils or desks, so they can't be carted around on adventures...but that's just me.

Elric VIII
2011-02-17, 08:17 PM
That's why I would like to find something off which I can base the proposed items. Perhaps a decreased crafting limit or other restriction.

Plus, it's not much different to Chameleon's floating feat and the Psicrystal/Feat Leech synnergy.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-17, 08:19 PM
Around 5,000 gp per feat is typical, though there's a lot of variation depending on whether the item is slotless, how good the feat is, etc. Some examples from the MiC include the Mobility and Arrow Deflection armor enhancements, Panther Mask, Mask of the Tiger, Gloves of Arrow Snaring, Gloves of the Balanced Hand, and Serpent Armor.

I don't know of any items that grant item creation feats, but they wouldn't be unreasonable.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-17, 08:21 PM
I am sure I have seen a quill that grants scribe scroll.... I think it was on an Eberron book

Elric VIII
2011-02-17, 08:26 PM
Since I'm speding downtime Crafting, I could essentially spend an extra 50gp and 2 weeks to retrain into the desired feat, but that's rather awkward from a continuity point of view.

I also thought about just taking Leadership instead of Craft Wonderous Item and allowing my Artificer cohort to do the grunt work, but I just don't like that option.

Around 5,000 gp per feat is typical, though there's a lot of variation depending on whether the item is slotless, how good the feat is, etc. Some examples from the MiC include the Mobility and Arrow Deflection armor enhancements, Panther Mask, Mask of the Tiger, Gloves of Arrow Snaring, Gloves of the Balanced Hand, and Serpent Armor.

I don't know of any items that grant item creation feats, but they wouldn't be unreasonable.

Thank you for the reference points. I don't think that body slot is an issue for creation feats, and the other feats can be placed reasonably, based on the body slot affinity table. I am inclined to believe that creation feats might be worth more than normal feats due to the versatility of them.

Keld Denar
2011-02-17, 08:29 PM
For slotless feats, theres the IWIN Stone that grants Alertness. Its a crappy feat for 10,000g, but there it is...

Thurbane
2011-02-17, 08:39 PM
I can't find a link, but I'm pretty sure Curmudgeon has a web page with a list of items that grant feats.

Also no link, but I believe there's a list over at the WotC forums.

Elric VIII
2011-02-17, 09:19 PM
I can't find a link, but I'm pretty sure Curmudgeon has a web page with a list of items that grant feats.

Also no link, but I believe there's a list over at the WotC forums.

Thanks, I'll apply some google-fu when I get the chance.

Qwertystop
2011-02-17, 09:36 PM
Making them consumable might help balance. For example, an item that grants Brew Potion would presumably be a packet of (al)chemical compounds that combine the ingredients, which would be spread through the inside of a cauldron or similar, to compensate for the brewer's lack of knowledge of how to mix them. After a certain amount of potions are brewed, you run out of combining spread.

Elric VIII
2011-02-17, 11:15 PM
I found a list of some here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871950/Items_that_Grant_Feats).

Dalek-K
2011-02-18, 08:19 AM
I did this once for 3.5...

Basically adventurers from before wanted to help others if they failed (which they did) so they made X number of stones or icons or whatever that had magical properties of feats. This way if they died during the boss fight the next people would get some help.

>You couldn't take these feat stones to far from where the adventurers had died
>You could make your own and leave it behind in case you die (more of a roleplaying aspect)
>You had to meet prereq's for most feats but sometimes I would let that slide.

first level dungeon had an figure of
>combat casting
>lightning reflexes
>dodge (or mobility.. whichever comes first)

There was 2 players (wizard and cleric) so I let them be able to exchange them if they wanted :P

Elric VIII
2011-02-18, 01:53 PM
So, what types of crafting would it require for me to make a magical forge at our home base (immobile and time-comsuming to balance the fiscal benefit being able to craft creates)?

tyckspoon
2011-02-18, 01:58 PM
Craft Wondrous Items is the go-to catchall for Magic Stuff. Races of Stone has a few magic forges written up in the Dwarf section; the Forge of Thautam (grants Craft Magic Arms and Armor while you work on it) and Forge of Flames (satisfies fire-related spell requirements) are probably most relevant for your question.

Kylarra
2011-02-18, 02:08 PM
Those do require you to be dorfy though.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-18, 02:56 PM
Those do require you to be dorfy though.

Wouldn't a belt of Dwarvenkind work? if not there is always UMD'ing being a dorf. Or in the worst case scenario being a changeling with Racial Emulation: Dwarfs.

Necroticplague
2011-02-18, 03:09 PM
Wouldn't a belt of Dwarvenkind work? if not there is always UMD'ing being a dorf. Or in the worst case scenario being a changeling with Racial Emulation: Dwarfs.

Or maybe, you know..... being a dorf.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-18, 03:14 PM
Or maybe, you know..... being a dorf.

:smallfrown: But meeting the pre-requisites legally isn't as fun as finding loopholes.

Curmudgeon
2011-02-18, 05:09 PM
Actually, I have exactly what Elric VIII wants to determine the official WotC cost of putting some feats into items here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/feats.html). There are guidelines, but no fixed rules, for making custom items grant other feats in Arms and Equipment Guide on page 128.

Elric VIII
2011-02-18, 05:26 PM
Craft Wondrous Items is the go-to catchall for Magic Stuff. Races of Stone has a few magic forges written up in the Dwarf section; the Forge of Thautam (grants Craft Magic Arms and Armor while you work on it) and Forge of Flames (satisfies fire-related spell requirements) are probably most relevant for your question.
I could probobly use those as a basis for creating my own versions of the forges. You can calculate it since limits on race cause a discount, I can figure out the usable-by-everyone price. Thanks

Actually, I have exactly what Elric VIII wants to determine the official WotC cost of putting some feats into items here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/feats.html). There are guidelines, but no fixed rules, for making custom items grant other feats in Arms and Equipment Guide on page 128.

Awesome, my google search did not come up with that particular page, Thank you very much.

Thurbane
2011-02-18, 05:29 PM
That's the page I was thinking of, thanks. Going to bookmark it this time!