PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted/3.5] So... dragons. And also undead.

Weimann
2011-02-17, 08:46 PM
As mentioned here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187322), I'm hoping to run a D&D game set in Creation-like world.

Now, I've read the core book before, and I'll peek through it on a refresher course, but since I've no practical experience with D&D whatsoever, I'm asking for some help here :smallsmile:

Currently (or more accurately, tomorrow), I'm sitting down to write the part of the setting that has received the biggest change: the Realm. Instead of Dragon-Blooded, it is now ruled by actual dragons.

Brief history of dragons in the world, not privy to PCs upon game start.
In the beginning, dragons were the guardians of Creation. They fought against the Fair Folk, keeping them in the Wyld, preventing them from unravelling the lasting form of Creation back into ever-changing chaos. The dragons (who's primary capital was Rathess) were commanded by the Incarnae (based on Mouth Meru), who governed Creation while the Primordials played Xbox.

As per usual, the Incarnae eventually wished to change this arrangement and turned the forces of the dragons on their creators. Among the normal, chromatic dragons were now also metallic ones, who were created by the Incarnae in secret and carried powers never imagined by the Primordials. They were overthrown, the Incarnae took the Xbox and left the dragons to rule Creation. They moved from Rathess to the Blessed Isle.

Now, the dead Primorials could not truly die since they had forgot to make themselves able to yada yada Neverborn. They created their powerful Deathlords who, working together, managed to cast a curse on the dragons with the undying spite of the Neverborn as fuel. This was possible only once, but the power of the worldshapers managed to sink a significant amount of the draconic guardians into an unnatural slumber. In that state, the Deathords attacked, but the dragons managed to fend them off and slay many.

The battle raged for a century, and both sides suffered great losses. In he end, the threat was fought off, but the dragon race was also extinct. Only one dragon survived (who had not been enchanted to sleep; these were now buried deep underground where they await the time the spell can be lifted), a red one, and she was tasked with repopulating Creation. The red dragon bred many children with other races in the hope of one day getting the blood purity required to once more have dragons in the world. Eventually, she took the name of the Scarlet Empress, and founded the Draconic Empire (I have no idea why I renamed the Realm, I kept literally every other name). From it's throne, as the only remaining true dragon, she has proceeded with her attempts, but they have never produced anything but halfbreeds. She's now grown cynical about the project and for the last few centuries, she's been content with playing the game of thrones for the benefit of her new brood. However, about a year ago, she disappeared, and no one knows why or where.

Phew, long one. My question, thus: how do I properly represent dragon-kin? Is the half-dragon template any good? Can kobolds be used, I hear they are dragon-things?

The same question goes for Deathlords and Deathknights. What I'm looking for is something that can work as a foundation, and can then be modified as appropriate. Every Deathknight and Deathlord is individual, but I need some place to start with them, powerwise.

Weimann
2011-02-18, 04:41 AM
Kabump! And white words!

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-18, 05:54 AM
Well, one question first - what's the power scale going to be for your "Exalts," if you decide to bring them into play? Tenth level? Twentieth?

For Abyssals, you might want to look at the Necropolitan template in Libris Mortis, and apply it to whatever template you intend to use for the Solaroids. For the Deathlords, Lich might be a decent template to apply to them - after all, they're both undead casters that can recover very easily from being "killed."

As for the dragon-related stuff, Kobolds aren't too bad - their fluff is that they worship dragons, so that much would make sense. Still, the half-dragon template kinda sucks for them - they don't get wings, and the ability adjustments are just patching over the penalties they get anyway. I'd peg them as the commoners of the Realm.

Weimann
2011-02-18, 06:32 AM
Well, one question first - what's the power scale going to be for your "Exalts," if you decide to bring them into play? Tenth level? Twentieth?

For Abyssals, you might want to look at the Necropolitan template in Libris Mortis, and apply it to whatever template you intend to use for the Solaroids. For the Deathlords, Lich might be a decent template to apply to them - after all, they're both undead casters that can recover very easily from being "killed."I would like Deathknights to be at about 6th-7th level at low Essence, and maybe 10th-12th medium and 15th-18th high.

Note that there aren't any actual Exalts, as such; a lot of that is simply left to the side. Dragons fill the role of Exalts in this world, and they are currently sleeping. PCs are strong, but not actually Exalted-strong, and the only ones I'm actually trying to port in any shape are the Abyssals. This is mainly because I have, as said, limited experience in the game and I don't want to muck about with it too much.

For information, the PCs are starting at level 3, and they play a human Dragonfire Adept, a human Rogue and a half-elf Cleric "of some evil deity" (I'm planning on having it so that gods doesn't actually grant spells by conscious choice, but the existence of a sufficiently worshipped got creates a magical power sphere that clerics can draw from).

Lich sounds great :smallsmile: IN case I can't get hold of Libris Mortis, maybe some kind of modified Vampire template would do the trick for Deathknights?

As for the dragon-related stuff, Kobolds aren't too bad - their fluff is that they worship dragons, so that much would make sense. Still, the half-dragon template kinda sucks for them - they don't get wings, and the ability adjustments are just patching over the penalties they get anyway. I'd peg them as the commoners of the Realm.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-18, 06:34 AM
Kobolds don't need half-dragon - they can take Dragonwrought (at which point, another feat lets them get wings).

Weimann
2011-02-18, 03:11 PM
Small question about dwarves: I find it silly to give them bonuses against orcs and giants in particular. How about instead giving them +1 (racial) to attack roll and +1 (racial) to AC when having remained stationary on solid ground for at least 2 rounds? The AC bonus is decreased, but it is now a racial bonus instead of dodge, and it should have wider applicability.

Also, I'm very tempted to remove all the racials traits that grant proficiency or familarity with a particular type of weapon, since I don't find it to be something that makes sense. Does that sound okay?