PDA

View Full Version : 4e NPC vs. PC xp

zorba1994
2011-02-17, 08:56 PM
In my campaign, I want to make a recurring villain be an elf with character classes. I plan on just creating the character as if I were making a PC, but how should I go about valuing his xp for when the characters defeat him?

Shades of Gray
2011-02-17, 08:57 PM
CR=ECL. That's it.

Eorran
2011-02-17, 08:59 PM
Don't try to build an NPC using PC rules. I've done it, it really doesn't work. He'll end up full of resources (powers, equipment) that won't be used in a fight, and he'll have way too few HP for a good challenge.

There's a section in the DMG for adding a PC class template to existing monsters. This is a much better way to go - you can level the character up pretty easily if you have the monster builder, from a DDI subscription.

Mando Knight
2011-02-17, 08:59 PM
You really shouldn't create villains that way.

Or, you can, but their HP will be way too low (One round: me and my party dealt 104 damage to a target. I'm the Defender and thus have the highest HP, and have 76 maximum) and they'll have too many encounter and daily powers they can expend on the PCs. You should write him up as a PC, then take the powers and use the DMG guidelines to create a Solo with similar capabilities. That'll give you better results.

cupkeyk
2011-02-17, 09:01 PM
If you stat him as a PC he will be both weaker (not enough HP, a typical striker should one shot him) and stronger (he can nova because he does not have to save his daily's through the course of an adventuring day).

The rules for monsters with classes are in the DMG. He's an elite appropriate for his level.

Take any level appropriate elf monster entry, slap on the template and tada!

EDIT: NINJA'ed!.. twice

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-17, 09:23 PM
If you want to go ahead with your idea of building him as a PC (which I don't suggest), then figuring his XP value as an Elite monster of his level would be the easiest. You'll probably want to double his HP like an Elite as well, so he isn't so fragile.

NOTE: I have not done this myself. I don't know how well it will work.

MeeposFire
2011-02-17, 09:36 PM
You are also going to have to deal with the equipment issues. NOrmally this is not an issue since monster stats deal with the math already but PC math requires equipment to work. I recommend using the inherent bonuses variant so you do not hand out too much loot.

I still recommend using a monster of the level you want and you like and add elf traits and a class template.

WinWin
2011-02-18, 02:45 AM
Keep in mind that monsters do not scale very well if you increase their level per the rules in the DMG. Their stats, powers and damage tend to make them out of sync with other monsters of their level. 3-4 levels maximum before redesign.

If you tell me the type of villain you want and the level of the party, I can help you with the build, othwerwise I suggest you be careful using a character from the core books.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-18, 04:36 AM
If you stat him as a PC he will be both weaker (not enough HP, a typical striker should one shot him) and stronger (he can nova because he does not have to save his daily's through the course of an adventuring day).

But mostly weaker, because action economy dictates he can't use much of his dailies.

Sure, he can open with daily + action point + daily, but he'll never get a second turn. Heck, if he doesn't have a great initiative, he'll never get a first turn. Don't use PC creation rules; start by quadrupling his hit points and go from there.

Skaven
2011-02-18, 05:38 AM
Another problem is that when the PC's defeat him they'll gain a ton of gear above and beyond the appropriate reward for a single encounter.