PDA

View Full Version : City of Heroes/Villains

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-18, 02:58 AM
Hey everyone, I was wondering if there are any people here who play City of Heroes/Villains...

I remember playing that MMO years ago, before the expansion and many positive changes (quit soon after the invention system came, simply got bored - can never stay with one MMO for more then 1-2 months, rarely worth it)...

I remember it being a pretty amusing game, and I'm pretty disappointed in the more recent games of the same genre - super hero MMOs - so I found my old disk and seriously consider re-installing and fooling around with it for maybe a few weeks.

Anyone still playing that game around here?

Hunter Noventa
2011-02-18, 06:29 AM
There've been a ton of changes since the invention system. You might want to pick yourself up the Going Rogue expansion, which contains new powersets, and a new set of zones for 1-20.

The biggest servers are Freedom and Virtue, I mostly play on Virtue, which is the 'RP' server. Just stay out of Pocket D and you won't have to worry about running into anything weird though.

Big changes since the invention system debuted-
-Epic Archetypes (Peacebringers and Warshades for heroes, Soldier and Widows for Villains) unlock at level 20 now
-You can swtich a character from hero to Villain and vice versa, meaning you can bring a Mastermind to paragon, or a Tanker to the Rogue Isles
-The Architect System. A little older, but lets you create custom missions, enemies and story arcs, and get full rewards for them. has been exploited alot, but there's still good content on there.
-Ouroboros, charged with policing the timeline. Go back and do arcs you missed thanks to time travel.
-Cimerora. Go back to Ancient Rome to stop Evil from corrupting the timeline!
-Day Jobs. Gain different buffs based on where and how long you log out.
-Reward Merits. Token you get from completing task forces and story arcs which can be spent on enhancement recipes and rare salvage.
-Leveling Pacts. Form a pact with another player and you each get half exp, but you get exp from each other, even when one of you isn't playing!
-Super Sidekicking. Now everyone is set to the level of the mission holder, no more mucking about with sidekicking one on one!
-Power Colors! Recolor and choose differing animations for your powers!
-Ultra Mode. Updated Graphics make the game look even better, but you'll need a good video card.
-Tip System. It's how you change alignments, but now enemies over a certain level drop tips that lead to missions.
-More badges, More Missions, more everything really.

Going Rogue brings you-
-New Powersets. Dual Pistols for Blaster, Corruptors and Defenders. Kinetic Melee for Tankers, Scrappers, Brutes, and Stalkers(?), Demon Summoning for Masterminds. Electric Control for Controllers and Dominators.
-The Incarnate system, which lets you create massive buffs by doing end-game content. Also designed to be doable solo, but easier with help, just like the rest of the game.
-Praetoria. An alternate Earth ruled by the malevolent Emperor Cole. Side with his Regime or fight against it as part of the Resistance.

Anyway, if you want a good CoX experience, i suggest Virtue, there are very few rude people, usually a good amount of teaming. As long as you're a hero that is, villains are less populous because the Rogue Isles aren't as wel designed, but they're still there.

If you like, drop me a line in game. My global is @Valsione.

Lord Loss
2011-02-18, 07:06 AM
I've been thinking of getting the game. Before I do, though I'd like to know how much it costs per month? Are there more heroes, or villains?

JediSoth
2011-02-18, 09:01 AM
I've been thinking of getting the game. Before I do, though I'd like to know how much it costs per month? Are there more heroes, or villains?

I think it's still $15/mo. I used to play on Liberty server. I was thinking of reinstalling and flying around for a bit again as Atom Man. He was awesome (Dark Energy Scrapper). I can only imagine how much Day Job point thingies I've built up over the last year and a half logged out. :p

I don't know what the ratio of hero to villain is. I had characters of both on Liberty server, and the distribution seemed to be about even.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-18, 09:38 AM
Oh I know about most changes - and I used to play on Virtue server, as well.

Between Freedom "Freedumb" as it was called and Virtue as two most populous realms there wasn't exactly a lot of choice.

I'm probably going to come back and play heroes this time, however =/

My highest level characters to date were all villains - mostly because of the Mastermind and Dominator classes, I absolutely loved either. This time I'm going to try a Controller hero however.

The last time I've played was just before the Architect patch came out, so I can't wait to try that.

Arbane
2011-02-18, 01:31 PM

WAY more heroes.

I'd argue the CoV stuff is actually better designed - less missions that send you three zones away, for example - but it's a lot less pretty for the most part. (The Rogue Islands are supposed to be a hellhole, granted, but it does get a bit monotonous.)

One note - If you try Praetoria (the new City of Neutrals starting zone), it's an interesting place, but the enemies there are significantly tougher than most of the low-level CoH enemies.

It's a fun game. More fun if you play it with friends.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-19, 12:08 AM
WAY more heroes.

I'd argue the CoV stuff is actually better designed - less missions that send you three zones away, for example - but it's a lot less pretty for the most part. (The Rogue Islands are supposed to be a hellhole, granted, but it does get a bit monotonous.)

One note - If you try Praetoria (the new City of Neutrals starting zone), it's an interesting place, but the enemies there are significantly tougher than most of the low-level CoH enemies.

It's a fun game. More fun if you play it with friends.
I certainly second this motion.

It's even more team-based when it comes to fun then most other MMOs out there - sure, you can fly around the skyscrapers for a bit, beat up some bosses, but that way you'll get bored and start burning out by level 15-20ish easy.

Now if you get a cool roleplaying guild with an awesome base and do missions as a large loud group... it's awesome.

On topic of zones, I kinda always preferred the villain zones myself. I've only been all the way through the lowbie zones (up to level 20ish and higher) and the only hero zone I can remember, outside of the regular city scape, is that place overrun with trolls.

Acanous
2011-02-19, 01:49 AM
I play on Virtue [@Acanous] and Pocket D isn't that bad :p
You're going to run into a lot of guys RPing lesbians and flaunting odd fetishes, but if you've got a good sense of humor it's not too bad :p

RP is decent in game, it works much like forum RP. Don't godmod, and you're good.

The Weekly TF system is new, as of this month actually. Get to 50, become an incarnate, get cool stuff for raiding!

Edit: Day job points only accrue for 21 days. Then you get a badge for logging in that location. Further points may then be gained for that location, resulting in a temporary power associated with that day job.

Assuming you logged out in an area that wasn't a train, shop, or became an arena/wentworths, you're liable to get "Patroller" when you log back in.

Hunter Noventa
2011-02-19, 01:19 PM
Edit: Day job points only accrue for 21 days. Then you get a badge for logging in that location. Further points may then be gained for that location, resulting in a temporary power associated with that day job.

Assuming you logged out in an area that wasn't a train, shop, or became an arena/wentworths, you're liable to get "Patroller" when you log back in.

You actually get the temp powers before you get the badge, but the longer you're out, the longer it lasts. Also, combining some day jobs gets you new powers, you can read all about it here- http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Day_Job_Badges

Acanous
2011-02-20, 05:22 AM
Was actually wondering about creating a CoH thread earlier, but spent time trying to find out if there was one already, then got sidetracked, then forgot about it. Glad someone else did :D

What servers d'yall play on? We could start up a Giantitp global channel or something >.>

Eliirae
2011-02-20, 03:23 PM
Oh I know about most changes - and I used to play on Virtue server, as well.

Between Freedom "Freedumb" as it was called and Virtue as two most populous realms there wasn't exactly a lot of choice.

I'm probably going to come back and play heroes this time, however =/

My highest level characters to date were all villains - mostly because of the Mastermind and Dominator classes, I absolutely loved either. This time I'm going to try a Controller hero however.

The last time I've played was just before the Architect patch came out, so I can't wait to try that.

The good thing about going rogue is if you enjoy masterminds and dominators the most, you can now start them out as a praetorian, go through that story from level 1-20, and then you're allowed to choose between hero or villain.

And the tip mission also allows heroes to become vigilantes to villains, or villains to rogue to hero, so everyone can essentially team with each other now.

Also, I'd advise against playing with AE. The rewards and everything about it were nerfed to hell because everyone used to make farm missions that could boost you from level 1 to 50 in a matter of hours.

Arbane
2011-02-20, 04:22 PM
Also, I'd advise against playing with AE. The rewards and everything about it were nerfed to hell because everyone used to make farm missions that could boost you from level 1 to 50 in a matter of hours.

OTOH, I'm lucky enough to be in a supergroup with some people who enjoy making plotted arcs for the group, and some of them are really good at it.

And now they've got me doing writing missions. It's addictive...

Shades of Gray
2011-02-20, 05:52 PM
I remember where I wanted to make a games that inspired by Clue. It starts off as a murder mystery, where you have to go defeat a boss one by one. Miss Scarlet and her seductive mind control, Colonel Mustard with his assault rifle, Ms. Peacock and her energy manipulation, Mrs. White and her peacebringer light powers, Professor Plum and his mad devices... You go and beat them all up, when it is revealed that Mr. Green had you on a wild goose chase to eliminate his competitors.

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-02-21, 11:39 AM
I'd play the hell out of that arc.

I recently resubscribed to the game, after a year or so away, wanting to see the new sights and all. I play on Virtue (global is @SlyGuyMcFly), hit me if wanna team up, I'm usually up for anything, from TFs to radio grinding (if people still even DO that :smalltongue:). I've got toons both blue and redside.

Hunter Noventa
2011-02-21, 09:18 PM
I'd play the hell out of that arc.

I recently resubscribed to the game, after a year or so away, wanting to see the new sights and all. I play on Virtue (global is @SlyGuyMcFly), hit me if wanna team up, I'm usually up for anything, from TFs to radio grinding (if people still even DO that :smalltongue:). I've got toons both blue and redside.

People do still occasionally form radio teams. More often it's tip teams these days, since the morality missions give alignment merits if you don't switch alignment, and those can get you PvP IO Recipes.

Also, it seems that every time I log on lately, there's 3 rikti invasions going at any point in time.

TalonDemonKing
2011-02-21, 11:08 PM
Recently got back into this -- Have to say, I'm looking forward to the art-upgrade I'm hearing alot about.

What do yall know about the new incarnate slots?

Arbane
2011-02-21, 11:20 PM
Also, it seems that every time I log on lately, there's 3 rikti invasions going at any point in time.

Heh. That's because right now, the Lady Grey Task Force is one of the ones that gives rare Incarnate pieces, and when you finish the LGTF, it sets off a Rikti attack.

What do yall know about the new incarnate slots?

What do you want to know?

You have to be level 50 to unlock them - a new Oroboros contact gives you the mission-chain for it.

The alpha-slot is the only one open so far. The Alpha Incarnate slot lets you slot what's basically an uber-enhancement that affects all appropriate powers, and which you can upgrade to more powerful forms. The Rare versions give you a 'level adjustment', which means you're fighting as if you're level 51.

You get Incarnate Salvage to upgrade them by doing Task Forces, and occasionally random enemies at level 50+ drop "Incarnate Shards", the most basic Incarnate Salvage. You can't trade or sell any of them.

Acanous
2011-02-22, 06:27 AM
Quick Alpha slot rundown!

In order to unlock your Alpha slot, you must be lv 50.
You can then access a special contact in Ouroborus who gives you a mission chain.
After completing the mission chain, and talking to him again, you will be awarded a free incarnate shard.

Now you can start on your Alpha slot!

How it works:
Open your "Powers" tab. There's a new submenu- Incarnate Abilities. Click it.
This will open the Incarnate window. It has three subchoices; Equip, Create, Convert.

Check "Create" first. It has a dropdown menu for "Alpha" now that you've unlocked that. Cardiac, Musculature, Nerve and Spiritual.
Each one affects different primary attributes- Endurance reduction, Damage, Accuracy and Recharge respectively.
When you advance up the "Tree", creating uncommon, rare, and super-rare upgrades they affect additional aspects of your powers.

Cardiac boosts your range, where Spirit increases your healing, for example.

To create any of these, you need special "Incarnate salvage". This is an award choice at the end of most Lv 50 Task Forces. [Statesman, Lord Recluse, Khan/Barracuda, Imperious, Lady Grey], with an additional, Vanguard-only component; Gr'ai Matter.

You can also "Convert" four incarnate shards into any one of the above. Recipies for what you need are laid out in the "Create" tab.

So, you CAN get an alpha slot without doing any task forces, and even get an uncommon upgrade!

The Rare and Super-Rare, however, require a "Notice of the Well", which drops only from the weekly task force. As of today, that is the Imperious TF.

The whole thing might sound complex, but it's really rather simple. Do two or three TFs and you should have enough to get an uncommon. Just choose what you want, then check what you need before you go out marauding :3

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-02-22, 07:09 AM
Tip missions are a bloody awesome idea and I love them to death. Finally my villains can actually be proactive in their villainy and not just be some Big Bad Joe's evil intern. The alignment stuff and morality choices are just icing on the cake. The delicious and moist cake.

Edit: Ok... I'm officially declaring Inherent Fitness this week's Best Idea Ever™. Even if it does mean respeccing a dozen or so characters. So. Worth. It.

The Rare and Super-Rare, however, require a "Notice of the Well", which drops only from the weekly task force. As of today, that is the Imperious TF.

ITF? I was told is was gonna be Sister Psyche and whatever it is that villains have at the same level (silver mantis?). :smallconfused:

Eliirae
2011-02-22, 12:20 PM
I'm starting to think the sister psyche/villain equivalent thing is just a placeholder.

It was like that last week, too, and instead the weekly TF turned out to be the LGTF

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-02-22, 03:29 PM
Just did a Silver Mantis, got double merits. The 50's that ran it with me got their thingy too, so I can confirm that it's SM for villains.

TalonDemonKing
2011-02-22, 06:27 PM
Recently got back into full swing a week ago: Finally got enough shards/incarnate bits to get my teir 3! Gonna suck though waiting for those weekly task forces to get those notices.

What does everyone know about the other slots? I heard something about AoE power for Judgement, and a Pet power for another slot, but nothing quite confirmed yet.

I'm hoping that they'll allow us to get slots that actually add in bonus damage types (Like the IO procs, except always)...

Also, what do y'all think of the Leadership pool? I'm currently running it on my Brute(Assault/tactics/vengence) with no slots.

Arbane
2011-02-22, 08:25 PM
Also, what do y'all think of the Leadership pool? I'm currently running it on my Brute(Assault/tactics/vengence) with no slots.

And you don't run out of Endurance? Amazing.

From what I recall, the leadership powers are stronger for the 'squishy' character types - Defenders, Corruptors, Blasters, etc - but they're useful for everyone, especially if you team up.A bonus to to-hit or damage is ALWAYS useful...

TalonDemonKing
2011-02-22, 10:14 PM
SS/WP with Body Mastery, with a good focus of my current IOs into increasing my recovery. I run out of endurance in long, extended fights, but those are usually only avaliable when I'm with the team.

I have been considering dropping it, but for what, I don't know. Jab, Handclap, Resurgence are the powers that I have't taken out of my primary/secondary, and my current power pools are Leadership, Leaping, Fighting, and Flight.

As much as I like the leadership powers... 'Eh'... is about all I could describe. I also have no slots to spare, so double 'eh' for as far as this goes.

Shades of Gray
2011-02-22, 10:21 PM
I doubt that you need both leaping and flight... Or Fighting on a tanker.

Go for the set that increases your move, health, and endurance recovery (that one that gives you endurance recovery)

Hasten from the speed pool is useful on anyone.

TalonDemonKing
2011-02-22, 11:06 PM
Playing a Brute; their defenses scale like a scrappers, so toughness/weave are actually viable.

Fitness is now inherent, so I don't have to worry about dipping into that.

Leaping gives 3.5% def (Number may be off) for a minimal amount of endurance, and I took flight for an actual travel power (Using the city traveler vetern award).

If anything is going to go, it'll be leadership, but like I said, I'm not too sure on what to grab. Might just keep it how it is though, and maybe Incarnate system could help me flesh out things a bit more.

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-02-23, 06:50 AM
Leadership is pretty nice, even on a Brute. The numbers aren't up there, but there's not much else to pick, doubly so if you don't have the slots to spare. Kinda surprised you're running them slotless, but that's the magic of Willpower, I guess.

I'd swap Assault out for Maneuvers, as to 10ish% damage is a tiny, tiny benefit for you. Maneuvers is good, stacked with Weave, Combat Jumping and some IOs it'll give you respectable defense numbers.

Hasten is a good suggestion too, it'll help you keep Rage stacked up and tighten your attack chain. It can do mean things to your endurance though, specially if it and ragre crash at the same time.

On the other hand you could look into freeing up some slots somewhere and snagging some extra AoE and goodies from a different Mastery. Footstomp is godly and all, but adding in another AoE can really help. I'm pretty sure you could scavenge the slots somewhere or other. If you have Mids I'd be happy to take a look.

Arbane
2011-02-23, 03:23 PM
Handclap's actually decent - it doesn't do damage, but being able to stun a lot of enemies can be VERY useful on the rare occasion you're in over your head.

TalonDemonKing
2011-02-23, 05:56 PM
Whats the proc/mag on Hand clap? I've strayed away from it cause (IIRC), it knocks people out of your melee range, which is bad for RttC.

I have Mids, just not now. Right now my build mostly focuses on being stupid tanky and dealing stupid damage, running at +4/x8 when I get everything slotted (Of course, buying IOs are expensive D: )

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-02-23, 06:49 PM
100% of KB with mag 2 stun that has 50% chance of being mag 3. You're quite right that it'll tank your regen though, I'd say WP is the secondary that least benefits from Handclap.

Acanous
2011-02-27, 11:29 PM
Was sister P. They're messing with us, I swear.

Anyhow. On a WP Brute, drop leadership and pick up either Stimulant or Aid Other, then Aid Self.

Oh lord Aid Self. Slot it. You don't get a self heal in your secondary, because they figure more HP and higher regen is good enough. But when you need the HP? Aid Self.

Brutes/Scrappers/Stalkers/Tankers have the worst leadership numbers. Not worth the endurance, honestly.
Defenders, now there's an AT who should always have it.

Working on a stalker build right now. Mids is so useless when building for buzzsaw stalkers. Quicker and more accurate just to head to wentworths and do it by hand :/

Loving inherant fitness. Only real problem is what new powers to pick with 0 free slots XD

Black hole was an obvious one on my corr. Vengeance and antidote on my MM. Scrapper grabbed Hasten, combat jump and physical perfection.

Arbane
2011-02-28, 02:57 AM
Black Hole? I always thought that one was pretty useless, but how has it been useful?

Acanous
2011-03-04, 06:25 PM
Statesman TF, you can black hole the towers that power LR. If you've got 4 dark/ff corr/def/trollers on your team, you can black hole all 4 towers and kill LR like cake.

Also, ITF you can Black Hole the nictuses. [Nictusii? Is it just Nictus? What IS the plural of nictus?]
in the new trials, Black hole becomes useful again as well, and any time you have an ambush on you that you don't have to kill? Black hole and ignore.

Arbane
2011-03-04, 08:24 PM
Statesman TF, you can black hole the towers that power LR. If you've got 4 dark/ff corr/def/trollers on your team, you can black hole all 4 towers and kill LR like cake.

Also, ITF you can Black Hole the nictuses. [Nictusii? Is it just Nictus? What IS the plural of nictus?]
in the new trials, Black hole becomes useful again as well, and any time you have an ambush on you that you don't have to kill? Black hole and ignore.

Oh, nice. I hadn't thought of that.

Edit: Nictii, maybe? I don't speak Latin.

Shades of Gray
2011-03-04, 11:47 PM
Nicti or Nictus, depending on the declension.

Acanous
2011-03-09, 11:46 PM
and this week, Numina and Ice Mistral.

*Shudder*

I don't need Notices of the Well THAT bad.

Arbane
2011-03-10, 04:51 PM
and this week, Numina and Ice Mistral.

*Shudder*

I don't need Notices of the Well THAT bad.

Could be worse - could be Quaterfield and Positron Classic. :smalleek:

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-03-10, 06:26 PM
Don't have any problem with Numina and Mistral, myself. Numina is one of the better least terrible classic TFs, and Mistral is a fairly standard villside SF. Worst part is running all over Nerva. Still, next week'll be good - it's the ITF :smallbiggrin:

Could be worse - could be Quaterfield and Positron Classic. :smalleek:

Being a villain would suck that week.

But not as much as being a hero! *rimshot*