PDA

View Full Version : monkey stat modification in pathfinder

crillitor
2011-02-18, 03:57 AM
I'm trying to find the monkey stat adjustments in pathdinder or any stats ate all.

I am trying to take a character that had been turned into a monkey in 3.5 and make a pathfinder version of him but cant seem to find any stats for monkeys at all in any bestiary for anything smaller then a large ape. Please help

thanks in advance

crillitor
2011-02-18, 03:59 AM
The character I am trying to transfer to pathfinder is this one that you guys helped me with earlier.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108118

Thurbane
2011-02-18, 05:11 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/primates/monkey

crillitor
2011-02-18, 07:41 AM
Right... but how would adjust the stats for the character?

Fax Celestis
2011-02-18, 07:55 AM
Right... but how would adjust the stats for the character?

Take the monkey's stats, subtract 10 (if even) or 11 (if odd). Those are the monkey's racial adjustments.

In this case: Str -8, Dex +4, Int -8, Wis +2, Cha -6
Tiny animal
Move 30', climb 30'
+8 racial Acrobatics
Bite attack: 1d3
Low-light vision

UserClone
2011-02-18, 09:29 AM
Wouldn't he automatically lose the Animal type and gain the Magical Beast type instead? For one, because he was magically transformed into animal form from humanoid, and for another thing, his Int will be higher than 2...

Fax Celestis
2011-02-18, 11:35 AM
Wouldn't he automatically lose the Animal type and gain the Magical Beast type instead? For one, because he was magically transformed into animal form from humanoid, and for another thing, his Int will be higher than 2...

He asked for a monkey's stat adjustments, I provided them.

To answer your question, though, if he's awakened, sort of. He'll become an augmented animal. The augmented subtype means you shouldn't be recalculating HD type, saves, BAB, etc.

An awakened monkey will instead have the following ability score adjustments in addition to its type becoming Magical Beast (Augmented Animal). All other attributes will remain the same, though it will have two more Animal HD (or in this particular instance, three Animal HD):

Str -8, Dex +4, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha -4

Its 3 HD give it 3d8 HP, +2 BAB, +3 Fort, +3 Ref, +1 Will, and 6+(3*Int) (or 2+Int per level) skills. Class skills for these HD are Acrobatics, Climb, Fly, Perception, Stealth, Swim.

UserClone
2011-02-18, 11:38 AM
Oh. Well I am just assuming he's been transformed into that form, so his mental stats don't change, like. IDK

FMArthur
2011-02-18, 12:14 PM
It all depends on how you were transformed into a monkey, and if that transformation was updated in Pathfinder. Polymorph Any Object for instance would have changed your Int and physical ability scores into those of a monkey (which is not the same as gaining its racial ability score adjustments to your own scores) in 3.5, but in Pathfinder all that changes from your original form is you gain a +4 to Dexterity, a -2 to Strength and a +1 natural armor bonus.

If you gained it through some special means (ie plot magic) then you and the DM can work something out. I would recommend cracking open Oriental Adventures and having a look at the Hengeyokai and Vanara races for monkeys as playable characters.

Vanara are Medium monkeylike humanoids with a climb speed. The 3.5 update removed their racial ability score adjustments but they'd probably be okay to keep in Pathfinder; -2 Strength, +2 Int, +2 Wis.

Hengeyokai are shapechanging intelligent animals. They each have an animal form (yours would be a monkey), a hybrid form (half-human monkey) and a human form. In animal form they inherit the animal's physical ability scores, size and movement speeds but can't use magic items. In hybrid form they just get a +2 to one ability score and another small bonus but can use equipment. In human form all they have is their racial -2 Wis and nothing else for racial features :smallconfused:. The 3.5 update removed their level adjustment (which was +1), and that's mostly okay, although flying forms at first level might raise eyebrows (which doesn't matter for you, since you'd be Monkey Hengeyokai).

UserClone
2011-02-18, 01:20 PM
Heh, now he can go super saiyan...yay, hybrid form! :smalltongue:

Chilingsworth
2011-02-18, 01:37 PM
What, no mention of the Hadozee from Stormwrack?!

UserClone
2011-02-18, 01:44 PM
Vanara are great fun. One of my friends re-fluffed the OA Shintao Monk for his Vanara Monk into "Hanuman's Chosen," changing the names of the abilities to things like "Might of the Gorilla." Fluff goes a long way.

FMArthur
2011-02-18, 02:07 PM
What, no mention of the Hadozee from Stormwrack?!

Why would there be? Hadozee are big black orangutans with huge skin flaps like flying squirrels have. Gliding seafaring apes are a far cry from monkeys.

Man, Hadozee are great though. Somewhere between "awesome" and "hilarious" lies this:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/storm_gallery/90716.jpg

Just being reminded of them has prompted me to make a Hadozee pirate raid encounter.