PDA

View Full Version : RPG Pondering: Show me the money! [YouTube Link]

Tetsubo 57
2011-02-18, 09:38 AM
I discuss currency in fantasy and sci-fi role-playing games. What are *you* doing with currency in your game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKVf8VykAoc

Lord Loss
2011-02-18, 10:09 AM
Loved the video, keep up the good work!

In response to your question, I've never like the standard D&D coinage, although I have more issues with it flavor-wise than mathematically speaking. I've always gone with it though, because it is easy to use and simple for the players. However, in my most recent D&D campaign (which is starting on sunday) I'm going to use different currency systems. The tribals (Sivs and Hijawel, the former being frog-people and the latter being jaguar-shapeshifters) will only trade, using appraise and spellcraft to determine the worth of items and then trading items worth the value they have estimated. The Ironsouls (Genassi and Dwarves) will use the traditional D&D coins, they are in possesion of a great many mines and have an easy time acquiring or producing coins (and they are led by a red dragon, so it fits). Finally, the Lumi trade with all sorts of coins as well as with favors, debts play a huge part in their economy.