PDA

View Full Version : Players taking my dice, among other annoyances...

onthetown
2011-02-18, 10:01 AM
I collect dice. Not necessarily to use in play, just to collect. I'm numbering in the hundreds now, and it's nice to be able to pick from my bag and have a different d20 every time I want to roll.

I don't mind sharing every once in awhile. If somebody forgets their dice bag one day, I've got plenty to go around.

One thing: in the campaign mentioned here, I'm not the DM. I'm just another player.

But recently (as in the past 10+ sessions, which is 10+ weeks for us), nobody's been even attempting to bring their own. This wouldn't bother me if they didn't actually own any dice, or they were a new player or something, but these are experienced players who have their own set -- and one of them actually has even more dice than I do. Even the DM doesn't bother getting his anymore.

This is annoying, but it's not even what's bothering me the most. It takes them almost 15 minutes to choose their dice from my bag, pawing through them and asking me every two seconds if they can just pretty please dump them on the floor; when I finally concede to carefully pouring them out, most of them go under the couch or bounce off into the depths of the basement, and the players don't give a damn. I've already lost close to a quarter of what I once had.

Not all of them are meaningless. Friends and family know that I get some sort of joy out of seeing lots of sparkly shiny pretty trinkets, so they help me add to my collection. I have sets that were bought by relatives I only see rarely and friends I'll never see again.

Naturally, these are the prettiest ones and are pawed through and used by my friends in the party.

Then, after the session is over, they just leave them sitting wherever they last rolled, and despite my best efforts there is always one or two missing from that.

I've told them that some of them are special. I've asked them to try to remember their own sets next time. I've told them that I don't own dice solely for their entertainment. But every week they "forget" their own and go about pawing through and losing mine.

My solution this week is kind of underhanded, and I don't like it (considering my best friend is in the group, but she's also the party member that has access to 3x the amount of dice that I own), but I'm hoping to train them out of what they're doing now. I picked my favourites from the bag -- I haven't pointed out which ones are exactly my favourites, and they're all different colours and styles -- to make a simple set. Just one of each type. Then I threw my dice bag in a hidey hole where they're not going to find it (even my mother doesn't know about its existence and the chocolate within) and added to my normal confirmation message, "Hey, I lost my dice bag. I found a basic set under the couch and around the basement, but that's it. Could you remember your own? It won't be much of a session, otherwise. Sorry."

Think this is an overreaction? I've been hosting the game at my house for going on five years now. Almost every week. And they never offer to have it at theirs (though my best friend has hosted it maybe three times), and the DM actually outright refuses to have it at his house. For most of that time, I was the one they relied on and mooched off of to buy the treats and snacks (until I made a less than subtle hint that it would be great if we could start taking turns, given that they get about $40 worth of candy each time). I drive across town, out of my way, to pick them up in my car that really could do without the extra miles, and I never ask for gas money. I'm always the one responsible for printing out extra character sheets, and I get hell for it from my mom and stepfather after the game is over because they don't like the printer being used for stuff like that. They leave the basement in a mess and I get to be the one to spend half an hour cleaning it afterwards, no matter how many times I say, "Hey, I'd love some help cleaning up tonight." I have never blatantly complained about any of this to them, except to suggest improvements like sharing the treat bill.

The least they can do is let me have my dice. :smallfrown: /rant

HunterOfJello
2011-02-18, 10:05 AM
Solution: Miraculously lose all your dice. Ask to use another player's dice for a while. Two weeks later, find your favorite set underneath the couch. Problem Solved.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-18, 10:07 AM
Seems to me you should leave most of your dice at home. Only bring enough with you to play. Yeah, you wont have all your shiney things to play with, but at least they'll be safe. Then when your co-players ask to borrow dice, simply tell them "you constantly refuse to bring your own. You have caused me to lose many of mine. USE YOUR OWN *@%! DICE!"

EDIT, somehow missed that this is basiclly what you're doing, except for the yelling at them bit. In your shoes, I'd probably add that.

Vladislav
2011-02-18, 10:07 AM
I suggest a simple rule: No Pawing.

What weapons is your character using? A Greatsword and a longbow? Here, I'll reach into my bag and give you a d20, two* d6's, and a d8. There you go.

* For extra style points, give them only one d6. Having to roll twice whenever they hit with their greatsword is a sufficient inconvenience for them to consider bringing their own dice next time.

If they ask to physically touch your bag, let alone put their hands through it, act like you don't know what they're taking about.

Zuljita
2011-02-18, 10:14 AM
sounds like your players are terrible people who should be flogged :P.
in all seriousness, they may have no clue how much of a drain it is on you to be the only person who works to make gaming work.

It seems that they like playing with your toys because they are shinier than the ones they own. I would make it a light hearted thing "MY SHINIES YOU CANT TOUCH!" in a silly way, but stick by it.

If your dice are so much fun that they want to leave theirs at home to play with yours, they should start their own collections.

BlackSheep
2011-02-18, 10:16 AM
There is nothing wrong with asking people to bring their own dice. If they want to borrow yours, there's nothing wrong with saying, "Here, you can have this one and this one," and refusing to let them search through your collection. There is *less than nothing* wrong with asking people to help clean up at the end of the session. (As in, they should be doing this already.)

If your group is a young one, they may not yet have developed their social graces. That's not an excuse for rudeness, but you may have to start pushing them to do the right thing. A simple division of duties like, "You, collect all my dice and pile them here. You, collect the books and papers here. You two, help me throw away the trash and bring dishes to the kitchen. And for Pete's sake, push in your chairs!"

I'm in my 30's and I witness people well older than I am leaving messes behind in the common areas at work. The rest of us shake our heads and grumble, but we have someone who will come along later and tidy the place up. I would never tolerate that sort of thing in my own home.

Techsmart
2011-02-18, 10:17 AM
seems like a pretty reasonable reaction to me. they dont respect your stuff, so don't let them use 'em. this is a nice way of doing it. Me? I'm an a**, so I go straight to people doing this and tell em what i think. another suggestion: if you have a laptop, use an online dice-roller. Then, you have an excuse to not bring any at all. it doesn't seem like they want to respect you, so if they react negatively, id tell em to go ... off, since they aren't friends.
(sorry if there's bad grammar, typing with one hand while balancing my laptop in the other goin down a hallway).

Lapak
2011-02-18, 10:17 AM
I suggest a simple rule: No Pawing.

What weapons is your character using? A Greatsword and a longbow? Here, I'll reach into my bag and give you a d20, two* d6's, and a d8. There you go.

* For extra style points, give them only one d6. Having to roll twice whenever they hit with their greatsword is a sufficient inconvenience for them to consider bringing their own dice next time.

If they ask to physically touch your bag, let alone put their hands through it, act like you don't know what they're taking about.Variation on this theme is what I'd suggest. Create one basic set of your NON-favorites: one of each die type. At the next session, put those in the middle of the table as the community dice. No borrowing from your bag; anyone who needs to roll but doesn't have the dice can use the ones in the middle of the table.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-18, 10:18 AM
I think this suggests a viable solution:

Dice Bag Them! (http://www.filehurricane.com/photo-viewer/2460)

Typewriter
2011-02-18, 10:20 AM
I have around 500 dice that I keep with me. For other players who forgot theres I have a ziploc bag with around 100 different dice in there. Sure, feel free to pass those out amongst yourself. These ones are mine.

Necro_EX
2011-02-18, 10:24 AM
I definitely wouldn't call what you're doing an overreaction, if anything I'd call it an under-reaction. It sounds to me like you need to get a little more assertive with them. They're causing you to lose possessions and being lazy/disrespectful in not bringing their own supplies, the least they could do considering you've been hosting for so long.

Just tell 'em straight. If it really bothers you that much and you tell them to start bringing their own because you're getting sick of them pawing through yours and losing them, then they should start bringing theirs.

Of course, being indirect about it can work, too. :D

EDIT: On a semi-related note, I host for my local group and three of the four players uses my basic chessex set, while the other one actually has his own.

I use a digital roller.

Anonomuss
2011-02-18, 10:25 AM
@OP: I think what you're doing sounds entirely reasonable to me. You've put a lot of work, and invested a lot of money in making the game possible in the first place, its only fair that the other players make the base concession to bring their own dice. Whenever I lend my players dice, I only give them the most base and generic of them (the ones from starter sets etc), and they tended to get their own shortly afterwards.

I wouldn't call it an overreaction anyway, maybe an underreaction if anything.

Shademan
2011-02-18, 10:27 AM
bake a set of dice to roll crap all the time and tell them to use that set or their own

Leon
2011-02-18, 10:32 AM
Bring exactly what you need and do not share them.

Make it plain that if they don't treat your belongings with respect in your own home then they will have to find some other means to play with and play at.
It may sound hard line but some people need to be hit with reality sometimes that some behavior is not acceptable

onthetown
2011-02-18, 10:34 AM
Wow, and here I thought I was being a witch about it. Awesome.

Also, the game is already at my place. My dice bag is now safe in my secret hidey hole for chocolate.

The DM can't take his turn paying for treats today so I made my world-famous* shortbread cookies and got some chips, veggies and dip. I think I'll scream if the dip ends up all over the place by the end of the session.

*May only be famous in Townie's mind's world.

Zuljita
2011-02-18, 10:40 AM
do your sessions end at a particular time?

you mentioned you are transportation, have you considered telling em "new rule, the car dont head home till the gaming space is tidy" ?

AtwasAwamps

Also, the game is already at my place. My dice bag is now safe in my secret hidey hole for chocolate.

The DM can't take his turn paying for treats today so I made my world-famous* shortbread cookies and got some chips, veggies and dip. I think I'll scream if the dip ends up all over the place by the end of the session.

*May only be famous in Townie's mind's world.

A witch? Ha! My dear girl, you are simply a reasonable person who seeks to protect their own property.

The last man who tried to take my dice...without my permission mind you...has yet to suffer enough for my liking. One week, he was at our regular gaming group, jabbering about how awesome he was and reaching for my d6s with his grubby, child-like paws.

The next week, his phone was disconnected, his brother got arrested, he got fired, he was rejected from every college he'd applied to, and his mom kicked him out of the house.

I'm not saying I have put a hex on my dice. I'm just saying all that virgin's blood had to be good for something.

(PS: The above chain of events is true. The only guy to touch my dice without permission actually did have all that happen to him in the ensuing week. It was because he was aactually a bit of a troubled delusional kid from a rather screwed up family and we felt bad about it, but yeah. Everyone is scared of my dice now.)

Chilingsworth
One thing: Are you sure none of your friends/co-players use this forum, becuase if they do, and they recognize you (from your story and stated location, maybe), you just told them you have chocolate hidden away.:smalltongue:

Apophis775
2011-02-18, 10:44 AM
I have a few dice-rants as well.

1. Only 2 of my players have purchased dice. One of them, has this moderately expensive (for a set of dice at least) set of white intricately carved dice and white font. The problem, is that I can't read them from a distance because of all the details around the numbers. But, he HATES when I tell him to use one of his other sets so I can read the numbers, but worse, is that he communicates with my occasionally with text messages and needs to make rolls that he tries to conceal from other players and they are IMPOSSIBLE to see.

2. Within our group, only me and 2 other plays own dice. 2 of the sets of dice I own are identical, but one of the other plays now has an identical set to mine. Despite being identical, I really don't like when they just mix them together. They keep telling me "They look the same". Is it weird to want to keep mine seperate, even if they are identical.

LibraryOgre
2011-02-18, 11:07 AM
One thing I make a habit of doing is, on my birthday, I give everyone in my group dice. Firstly, I know dice are something people always want and need in gaming groups. Secondly, it makes up for the fact that I tend to miss people's birthdays when they actually happen. But it also makes sure everyone has dice.

Really, about the only thing you can do in this case is tell people "Hey, I'm tired of being the only one bringing dice" and hope it stops. You can take more punitive measures (like bring exactly as many dice as you are likely to need, and no others... or just bring a single set), but mostly, it's going to come down to "Hey, y'all, bring your own dice."

I will say: I find dice superstitions to be fascinating. Most gamers, IME, have a number of them, and they're always interesting to see in practice; I've made a bit of a personal fetish of breaking any dice superstitions I see in myself, though I let others have theirs.

Necro_EX
2011-02-18, 11:18 AM
Apophis - Are the dice translucent? If so, you can always check the air bubbles to make sure you're getting yours back. :D

Magesmiley
2011-02-18, 11:23 AM
I've been here, and came up with a solution:

I also have a sizable collection of dice. Most of the players in my group bring their own dice. For those who need to borrow some dice, the only ones I loan out are my 'table breakers' - a set of oversized (about 2.5x larger than normal) dice.

There are a couple of pluses here - they're easy to spot and people generally don't like using them because they are big and clunky (not to mention noisy).

Kylarra
2011-02-18, 11:27 AM
Frankly I would've separated my dice out a long time ago. "These are the ones important to me that I don't want you guys playing with; and these are the ones I don't mind as much for you to play with". Or the whole one set of basic (less sparkly?) dice for the table.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-18, 11:33 AM
in all seriousness, they may have no clue how much of a drain it is on you to be the only person who works to make gaming work.

Yes. They are people that need to be responsible for themselves. I'd just bluntly announce "Because you careless (censored) are losing all my dice, you may no longer use them. Bring your own". I would then only bring my dice to the table. If they do not bring dice of their own, it is not my job to fix it.

starwoof
2011-02-18, 11:33 AM
My solution this week is kind of underhanded, and I don't like it (considering my best friend is in the group, but she's also the party member that has access to 3x the amount of dice that I own), but I'm hoping to train them out of what they're doing now. I picked my favourites from the bag -- I haven't pointed out which ones are exactly my favourites, and they're all different colours and styles -- to make a simple set. Just one of each type. Then I threw my dice bag in a hidey hole where they're not going to find it (even my mother doesn't know about its existence and the chocolate within) and added to my normal confirmation message, "Hey, I lost my dice bag. I found a basic set under the couch and around the basement, but that's it. Could you remember your own? It won't be much of a session, otherwise. Sorry."

Thats very close to what I would have done, but I would have 'lost' all of my dice. "Oh sorry, I lost my dice! Can I borrow yours?"

Personally I don't let ANYONE use my dice, at least not the good ones. I am amazed that you haven't snapped by now.

pinwiz
2011-02-18, 11:38 AM
joke suggestion: act completely normal next session. Put your (apparently enormous) dice bag on a table in front of you and leave it open. If people ask to use them, don't explicitly say yes, maybe just kind of shrug in a manner open to interpretation. When the first person reaches for the dice, smack their hand with a shoe, possibly repeatedly. Say something like "NO! BAD PLAYER! NO TOUCHY THE DICEY! BAD." Repeat as necessary. :smallamused:

Serious suggestion: Just say "ok, no more using my dice, you've lost some of them that are very valuable to me, so I don't want to lose anymore." This is entirely reasonable. I'd even find it reasonable to ask them to replace the dice they lost, but that's just me, and I don't know your group dynamic. My group has bit of a dogma about it. They expect bad rolls out of borrowed dice, as well as red die. Which is funny because I can't roll anything good without a red die.....

Apophis775
2011-02-18, 11:38 AM
Apophis - Are the dice translucent? If so, you can always check the air bubbles to make sure you're getting yours back. :D

No, they are the WOTC dice that came in a box.

Darakonis
2011-02-18, 11:39 AM
onthetown, you're definitely not overreacting. In your place, I would have used a more direct approach, but you know your friends better than I.

When I started my first gaming group, we all shared one set of dice. A 20, a 12, a 10, an 8, a 6, and a 4. That's it. Anymore than that is a luxury, not a necessity. Eventually, the other players all bought their own dice set.

Sooner or later, your friends will find out you still have your big bag o' dice. You'll have to play it straight with them eventually. I suggest you tell them that because they've lost so many of your dice in the past, you will now:

1. Forbid them from using your dice

or

2. Set aside your least favorite set of dice for communal use.

If my group could have survived off 6 dice for years, your moocher friends can as well :)

Peace,
-Darakonis

grimbold
2011-02-18, 01:08 PM

It seems that they like playing with your toys because they are shinier than the ones they own. I would make it a light hearted thing "MY SHINIES YOU CANT TOUCH!" in a silly way, but stick by it.

If your dice are so much fun that they want to leave theirs at home to play with yours, they should start their own collections.

this
be silly but insistent
if you're a poophead they will hate you

Volos
2011-02-18, 01:17 PM
Next time the game is going to be held, tell them your concerns straight up. If they cannot handle bringing their own dice, then they cannot play at your house. You seem to do enough for this group beyond losing your dice, so they should be able to respect that. I like the plan you have so far, but take it up a notch. Get a guesstimate of how many dice you have lost and how much their material value is in dollars. Then explain that number to your group flat out. If you've lost $100 dollars in dice, tell them straight to their faces. They might be thinking that you're just being picky or clingy to your dice, but if you explain an actual value to what they have caused you to lose, then the message will sink in. I had this problem before and I ended up losing a whole bag of dice when my group straight up stole them out from under me. We stopped gaming immediately and they couldn't find another DM. You are just a player, but you are the player doing everything for this group. You don't have to stand for this.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-02-18, 01:18 PM
Eh, it's usually enough to just say "hey, these are my dice - bring your own" but if it isn't then just tell folks that they need to bring their own dice. If people don't like that, ask everyone to chip in for a Pound o' Dice (http://www.chessex.com/Dice/poundofdice.htm) and call them "communal dice."

I mean, it sounds like you have a plan that works for you so you should go with that. All I'm saying is I don't think you (should) need to go through a whole bunch of subterfuge to settle a basic issue of gaming etiquette.

hangedman1984
2011-02-18, 01:34 PM
No, they are the WOTC dice that came in a box.

Those always roll low anyway

Occasional Sage
2011-02-18, 01:36 PM

Um, no not at all. Far, far from it. If they don't get the message, I'd be happy to be a witch about it for you if you want to see what that looks like. :smallwink:

Jornophelanthas
2011-02-18, 01:53 PM
If every single time people borrow your dice, some end up missing, perhaps the problem may not be that they end up in hard-to-reach places throughout the room, but rather in one of your players' pockets.

If indeed you've lost 25% of your significant dice collection just by letting other people handle them, I think it would be time to get suspicious. Say you started out with 200 dice, it doesn't sound very likely that 40-50 of those currently reside underneath the couch. Unless the room you play in actually has an open (and bottomless) pit.

Also, given the amount of things you do for the other players, I would even find it reasonable to refuse paying for any snacks. (i.e. "I pay for the gas, so I don't have to pay for the food.") Unless you like making cookies for them, of course.

Finally, I second the suggestion to force people to tidy up at the end before you drive them home. But make this very clear to them before the session even starts.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-18, 01:58 PM
It almost sounds like taking care of a bunch of kids. People should return things borrowed and at least mostly clean up after themselves without prompting.

Jay R
2011-02-18, 02:11 PM
First, don't bring dice to the table unless either you are planning to use them or you're willing for others to use them.

Bring the dice you are planning to use yourself. Then get about three full sets of plain blah dice, in plain blah dice bags. If somebody wants to borrow dice, toss him a full set, in the bag.

(Yeah, I know -- I like having lots of dice at my side, too. But you are planning a tactical maneuver now. Choose a set for the session, and play with another set next time.)

It's reasonable to share a resource that people need, but you only have to share what they need -- which is a random number generator, not what they want, which is bag of shiny toys.

At the end of the session, ask for the bag back, and count the dice. If they aren't all there, ask him to help search for them until they are found.

If somebody doesn't hand you back a full set already bagged up, I recommend that you tell him that you won't lend him dice any more.

(When you're an old curmudgeon like me, you'll add one more rule. If he doesn't find and re-bag the borrowed dice, he is not invited back. I won't play with spoiled children.)

d13
2011-02-18, 02:21 PM
After the third time something like that happened at my house, there is one and only one simple thing that I do when we game there:

I lock the door, and hide the keys until everything is clean and where it was before we started. Including dice (I have them counted, and sorted, though I don't have too many).

When people have to pay/lose their own dice/spend the night searching for that single die/etc, because they lost any of the ones they asked to use, they suddenly start to remember to bring their own.
Also with cleaning up. When there's an organised group of 4/5/6 people doing all the work, everything's done in less than 15 minutes.

Same thing with character sheets. When I DM (almost always), I print one charsheet for each player. Period.
I have all the relevant information of the characters behind my screen, so if you forget your sheet, you can play; but if you lose it, print your own one start it over with the information I have in my notes (I also have digital backups of every charsheet, just in case there is an 'accident', but they don't know that yet. Useful, really).

Most gamers aren't socially acceptable beings (?). They have to be tamed xD

Savannah
2011-02-18, 03:08 PM
Yeah, you're not being nearly tough enough on them. Everyone else has covered some good ideas for the dice, but they're causing you a lot more grief that just that. If I were you, I'd tell them (before the next session) all the problems they're causing you (lost dice, gas money, trouble with your parents, messy basement, etc) and that you expect them to at a minimum bring their own dice and help you clean up, or you're done hosting the game. Then after the game, I'd remind them that they have to help clean up or they won't be playing at your house next week. And if they don't clean up, I'd tell them to host it at one of their houses because they're taking advantage of your generosity, and it's just flat rude. Of course, that requires you to be willing to skip a game session or two to make a point, as well as stand up to them, so it's up to you whether it will work for you and whether it's enough of a problem to be worth it.

DisgruntledDM
2011-02-18, 03:50 PM
Everybody else so far seems to have good suggestions, so I really have nothing to add except to say that I'm glad the place I game at has a big friggin' jar of dice for a quarter a piece.

Erom
2011-02-18, 04:02 PM
I think your planned course of action is entirely appropriate. No need to be a drama queen about it, just say "Yep, dice weren't being treated very well, so they're gone now. Bring your own." and stick to it.

Swap to die roller on your cellphone/calculator/ipod if they continue to abuse the minimal set you are bringing to the table.

Private-Prinny
2011-02-18, 04:23 PM
Your fellow players are losing a large chunk of your dice, some of which were of sentimental value to you. Anything you do short of violence is almost entirely justified. They're your dice, and everyone else should be responsible for their own.

Note: In my group, I'm one of two people that actually owns dice. The other guy has multiple color-coded sets of dice that he loans to the other players. They are always kept close at hand, and no one gets any extra dice.

huttj509
2011-02-18, 07:19 PM
While at time I have gotten a bit...twitchy...about others using my dice, I have a lot of them. When playing with some college friends I had some sets separately tubed and it was basically "pick a set" for those who did not have their own. Helped because it was easy to tell which dice were which, things stayed contained, etc. Never saw a die lost, if it rolled off the table, well, you're goin down and gettin it, aren't you? We need to know what it rolled (or reroll it, "pass another one" was not an option unless we located a miniature black hole or something).

One (partial) set which does not regularly see play is rather meaningful to me.

Near my 13th birthday, 15 years ago, some friends and I took a break from my Bar Mitzvah party, went across the street, and they got me a set of dice. Mismatched colors, but hey.

Course, then I had to "share custody" with my twin brother, cause those 13 year olds only got 1 set for us. Think when we went to college we split em 50/50 or something.

Knaight
2011-02-18, 07:21 PM
Your fellow players are losing a large chunk of your dice, some of which were of sentimental value to you. Anything you do short of violence is almost entirely justified. They're your dice, and everyone else should be responsible for their own.
This is the case. It is also completely absurd.

Upon reading the title, I thought this would be a minor gripe about how the player's never had dice and you had to lend them to them, and maybe they rolled messily at times and you might have to wipe soda off a die or something. Because that would be a situation that is actually somewhat reasonable.

Granted, it may simply be that it is one I would understand to some degree. I supply the groups dice in most cases, though I have absolutely no issue with that, and there are other people who have enough for everyone.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 07:24 PM
I would sing a song of blood and reap their flesh. Or possibly just write some scripts that run all my attack sequences, and my commonly used spells. It'll speed the game up, and if they object, just pull out a single large d20.

Like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Chessex-Opaque-Ivory-black-numbers/dp/B001C4RBH8)!

ericgrau
2011-02-18, 07:28 PM
You already asked politely first, good. The next step in resolving any conflict is "tell" them, and by "tell" I mean take action*. No parking signs don't usually say "no parking" at the top, they say "Tow Away". People listen to action. Put your dice away. Ok now some people can't play. No good. Giving away dice freely loses you dice. Also no good. Ok so what's the minimum to play. Make cheapo sets with just 1 of each die, heck leave out the d12s. Yes one d6. This is just an example; whatever the solution make it an effort and annoying for them to borrow dice instead of convenient and cost free, because after all they are losing them. Asking for collateral before loaning dice would be another extreme and inconvenient example. I mean do whatever works best but do something.

*Technically the next step is to threaten action, and 3rd is to take action, but here there's little harm to the other players in skipping a step.

Knaight
2011-02-18, 07:32 PM
You already asked politely first, good. The next step is "tell" them, and by "tell" I mean take action. No parking signs don't usually say "no parking" at the top, they say "Tow Away". People listen to action. Put your dice away. Ok now some people can't play. No good. Giving away dice freely loses you dice. Also no good. Ok so what's the minimum to play. Make cheapo sets with just 1 of each die, heck leave out the d12s. Yes one d6. This is just an example; whatever the solution make it an effort and annoying for them to borrow dice instead of convenient and cost free, because after all they are losing them. Asking for collateral before loaning dice would be another extreme and inconvenient example. I mean do whatever works best but do something.
Every die needed can be simulated by a d6 and a d10, with perfect distribution. Technically it can be done with a d2, a d3, and a d5, as a die can be simulated by dice in its prime factorization, while also simulating all of those perfectly, but that involves a d3 and d5, both of which are oddly shaped and as such expensive.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 07:34 PM
Every die needed can be simulated by a d6 and a d10, with perfect distribution. Technically it can be done with a d2, a d3, and a d5, as a die can be simulated by dice in its prime factorization, while also simulating all of those perfectly, but that involves a d3 and d5, both of which are oddly shaped and as such expensive.

But worth having, and very lovely if you get the bone or crystal spindle die.

Knaight
2011-02-18, 07:42 PM
But worth having, and very lovely if you get the bone or crystal spindle die.

Players who lose dice don't get to use expensive dice, so its kind of irrelevant to this discussion. That said, they are all sorts of awesome, particularly the none spindle d3.

Grelna the Blue
2011-02-18, 07:49 PM
I don't envy you your problem. Not that it doesn't sound simple enough to solve, but it doesn't appear that confrontation is something you enjoy.

However, from at least one point of view, you are better off than I. NONE of my gaming buddies would ask to use my dice, no matter how desperate they might be. Not that they aren't attractive dice, some of them, but because they those dice are notorious for hating PCs. They only roll well when I am GMing (open rolls, in front of the other players). When I am running a PC in someone else's game, I try very hard to deemphasize reliance on random chance because my dice try their darnedest to kill me off with absurdly low rolls on skill checks and saving throws.

So at least you have one bright spot in the gloom. Seriously, though, don't let the others take advantage like that.

Vangor
2011-02-18, 08:02 PM
None of this "I lost my dice" nonsense. Tell them flatly, "You guys have lost tons of my dice. And especially since the ones you choose tend to be my favorites which are presents from relatives and friends which you then lose, I have to say no using my dice anymore. I know each of you has a set; bring them. No reason I need to lose a ton of my own."

I usually supply the snacks, space, dice, etc., for our games, but the moment I feel anyone is taking advantage of this I mention flatly. If people tell you they're "just dice" or that it's "just soda", tell them they shouldn't mind supplying those, then. Be upfront and direct as you have every right to.

MammonAzrael
2011-02-18, 08:11 PM
I think they way you've handled it is alright, but I must admit I prefer Vangor's method. Of course, the effectiveness will depend on your friends, so you'll have to judge what will work with them.

Good luck tonight.

vampire2948
2011-02-18, 08:24 PM
Meh, if people can't show respect for your property, given that you've spent a lot of time/effort/money hosting D&D for years, for them, then they're not (in my opinion) very good friends.
Tell them your concerns, if they have a problem with your well-justified annoyances, then maybe they should drive themselves to your house, or use their own electronic diceroller/buy some dice for themselves. (Dice aren't that expensive, as you know, not a big investment for a 5 year+ hobby.)

My 2cp, :D Probably just echoing others in the thread,
Good luck,
Vampire2948,

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-18, 08:49 PM
This is why I have three sets of "cheap dice", which I bought at $5 a set from a teacher's supply shop. They are for any players who forget to bring their dice, as my dice are for me...and maybe the other DM if I am sharing the chair.

Seriously, get real with these people and explain to them that you would be no longer interested in hosting the game if they don't get their acts together. They're using you, time to grow a pair.

In my group, we have the rules for dice, food, gas and venue money very clear. The person who pays to book the room has the right for compensation when requested, and people who drive do have the right to ask for gas money. There are exceptions for people who are cash strapped, but it's usually no more than a week or two.

dariathalon
2011-02-18, 09:58 PM
Those players you are giving a ride to, before they get into your car, make sure they have their dice. If not, tell them to run back inside and get them.

Then, if it is so much of a problem for them to remember to bring them, you can offer to let them keep a set of dice at your place. Unless they are involved in more than one game or something, they probably won't have much use for them the rest of the week anyway. And it's not like they'll take up a lot of space in a drawer somewhere at your place.

And on the whole, just tell them to grow the heck up (but in the friendliest of terms). I understand the temptation to just let them continue as they are to help the flow of the game and things, but if it is causing you enough hardship that you're willing to seek out help it is time to make some changes. Just tell them this next time you're hosting the game. They may not like it, but if they are really your friends they'll understand and try to help.

Percival
2011-02-18, 10:01 PM
I find it kind of sad that the thread has needed to reach this length.

I find it worse that a thread was necessary in the first place. Now, granted, I pretty much just have enough dice for my own use, but if I had a whole bunch like you and cared so much about them, I wouldn't let others use them.

Period.

For exactly the reason that you're regretting doing it now. And I wouldn't draw it out or go on a forum and ask for help. I'd just say "hey, you *******s are losing all my dice. I'm not bringing them anymore, you don't get to use them, get your own already you lazy ****s."

Jornophelanthas
2011-02-19, 08:04 AM
The last few posters got it wrong. The OP already hosts the game. I'm surprised that dice actually can get lost there, but apparently they play in a basement with lots of hard-to-reach places.

Yes, she goes out to collect the other players (and DM) in her car to drive them back home, where she provides them with snacks and drinks, and lends them their dice. Afterwards, she cleans up after them (and presumably drives them home too.) Oh, and she also prints all the character sheets for them.

She explained that it took some effort to make it clear to the other players that the food and drink was getting expensive, and now they take turns providing snacks. This appears to be a recent development, although I'm not sure of that.

[/thread recap]

Skaven
2011-02-19, 08:07 AM
Are you playing at your own house?

If not, the solution is simple. Just bring your own basic set. No extra's.

If not.. my best suggestion is the simplest one: talk to them.

slaydemons
2011-02-19, 08:14 AM
I myself actually only own three sets of dice (plus three extra d6) that everyone uses but what I do is put that small bag in the middle for the entire session and people when they use an attack roll or some sort of roll they have to pick up the dice then then we switch off you could try that and also.... you wish to send me those short bread cookies they sound delish *waves fingers pretending to do the jedi mind trick*

onthetown
2011-02-19, 11:59 AM
One thing: Are you sure none of your friends/co-players use this forum, becuase if they do, and they recognize you (from your story and stated location, maybe), you just told them you have chocolate hidden away.:smalltongue:

My boyfriend (DM) uses the forum, but I don't really care if he finds the thread. I'm not too shy to talk to him about it (I already have), and he knows my frustrations. And he fears my love of chocolate too much to go near the hidey hole. :smallamused:

The game went great yesterday. What a surprise... as soon as I said I had lost my dice with no chance of finding them, everybody had their own set. We didn't have to spend 15 minutes before each battle waiting for everybody to choose a pretty set because they already brought one. If they do it next week and the week after, I might actually take my bag out of hiding again. I'm combing the basement for what's been lost, but I doubt I'll find much at this point. The floors stop an inch away from the walls on all sides to drop down into a little crevice, so I'm assuming that's where most of them have rolled away to.

And yes, I know they're "just dice" (or at least the ones without sentimental value are). I think this has become more a discussion of players taking advantage of their host than it has about me being obsessed with shinies.

The taking turns with paying for snacks is very recent; we've been playing together for going on five years, we started the Temple of Elemental Evil back in October, and one month ago when we were at the store I asked if X could pay for treats next week because I would be strapped for cash, and then we sort of decided to start a little system.

At the end of the session, I decided to stop being so passive ("Hey, I wouldn't mind some help...") and just flat out said, "I'll take this tray up while X collects the books and Y takes the other dishes, and I'll be back down to help with the rest in a minute." It actually worked really well and got me past a bit of my nervousness about asking them.

you wish to send me those short bread cookies they sound delish *waves fingers pretending to do the jedi mind trick*

I cannot send what has already been eaten. :smalltongue:

woodenbandman
2011-02-19, 03:45 PM
bring 1 set to each session.

Necro_EX
2011-02-19, 04:07 PM
Good to hear that's going well for you.

I do have to ask about your basement's layout, though...just where does that crevice lead, and why is it like that? That's just rather...odd, is all.

ericgrau
2011-02-19, 04:10 PM
Ha option 2: pick up all trash, plug all crevices with duct tape, bricks, boards, books, etc.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-02-19, 05:10 PM
And yes, I know they're "just dice" (or at least the ones without sentimental value are). I think this has become more a discussion of players taking advantage of their host than it has about me being obsessed with shinies.
They're not "just dice" if they're important to you. Me, I still use the very first set of dice I ever owned - from the TSR Basic D&D Boxed Set. I never let anyone else roll with them as they are imbued with years of gaming chi.

However, some people treat their dice as "just dice." I've never understood them myself :smallbiggrin:

The taking turns with paying for snacks is very recent; we've been playing together for going on five years, we started the Temple of Elemental Evil back in October, and one month ago when we were at the store I asked if X could pay for treats next week because I would be strapped for cash, and then we sort of decided to start a little system.

At the end of the session, I decided to stop being so passive ("Hey, I wouldn't mind some help...") and just flat out said, "I'll take this tray up while X collects the books and Y takes the other dishes, and I'll be back down to help with the rest in a minute." It actually worked really well and got me past a bit of my nervousness about asking them.
Turns out, people are pretty decent when you tell them what's going on :smalltongue:

IMHO, you'll feel better about your group if you communicate openly with them. If they're doing something that makes you feel uncomfortable, tell them. I'm glad to hear you're being more up-front with them already and that it's working well for you :smallsmile:

SiuiS
2011-02-19, 05:38 PM
I think the biggest problem is that you're being passive-aggressive. This bothers you, deeply enough that you are plotting (small-scale) revenge.

Just post or say somewhere, where they can all hear "I'm tired of you guys losing my dice, which I've told you are important to me. You've been abusing the privilege. Bring your own or we aren't playing."

They will all complain "well if you'd just let us use your dice, we could have fun! Its all your fault".
The proper response is "I'm not the US government. I don't look after your welfare. You have dice; bring them. Quit whining"

onthetown
2011-02-19, 07:31 PM
I do have to ask about your basement's layout, though...just where does that crevice lead, and why is it like that? That's just rather...odd, is all.

I don't know. It's a creepy old basement. :smalleek: I kind of worry about what will come out of there. It looks like it could house alien larvae until they grow old enough to crawl out and start feeding on me. I can't get my hand down because of the pipes along the walls so it's kind of a crapshoot as to how far down it goes.

starwoof
2011-02-19, 07:46 PM
I don't know. It's a creepy old basement. :smalleek: I kind of worry about what will come out of there. It looks like it could house alien larvae until they grow old enough to crawl out and start feeding on me. I can't get my hand down because of the pipes along the walls so it's kind of a crapshoot as to how far down it goes.

Watch out for Drow.

onthetown
2011-02-19, 07:49 PM
Watch out for Drow.

If my basement is the entrance to the Underdark, I will nerdgasm.

But I haven't gotten any little bolts in my hands yet from reaching down. :smallfrown:

Necro_EX
2011-02-19, 10:12 PM
Or possibly the the Rake. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I-SGImHImE)

Narren
2011-02-19, 11:53 PM
It sounds like you've fixed the problem (hopefully for good). I just thought I'd add my experience. I almost always DM for my group, which has encompassed over two dozen people (not all at once) over the past 12 years. I am the ONLY one that has ever purchased a single die. I once ran a game with 19 people in it (two rival adventuring party's doing the same dungeon at the same time) and I was the only one with any dice. To make things run faster, I usually just roll everything.

I also introduced everyone of these people to the hobby, so they just figured I was SUPPOSED to be the only one with dice.

Crossblade
2011-02-20, 12:13 AM
Can you feed a vaccuum hose down into the crevasse? Are you willing to go through a vaccuum bag? (Best to put in a new, empty bag into the vaccuum before doing this, so there's less dust to deal with)

That may get a few dice back.

slaydemons
2011-02-20, 12:18 AM
I cannot send what has already been eaten. :smalltongue: NOOOOOO it would of been tasty

MeeposFire
2011-02-20, 03:34 AM
One enterprising option is to go the ALDI method.

ALDI is a German grocery store (it is over in the USA as well which tells you how successful it is) that has high quality cheap food. One way that they control costs is that they require you to use a quarter to take out a cart. When you pick up a cart you put a quarter into a slot on the cart which releases a lock that lets you pull the cart out. When you are done shopping you take the cart back and put it away. When you take this lock and relock it into place with the other carts it gives your quarter back. This way if you do not return the cart then ALDI gets money from having to do your work for you, and if you do return it they do not need to pay for people to bring carts back in or to create cart corrals in the parking lot. Funny thing is even for just a quarter you almost never see a stray cart in an ALDI parking lot.

You should charge each player X amount of loose change to use your dice. If the dice are not returned and put away correctly at the end of the night you keep the change. If they do return it you give the money back. this works well if you can handle money well. If you are forgetful or dislike money then do not do it.

SilverLeaf167
2011-02-20, 04:59 AM
I have two sets of dice, each in their own tiny pouch. One set is used by the players, while I use the other because it has an "evil DM aura" and I need quick access to dice at all times. The sets any are missing. We roll in a small box, so they don't get lost either. All rolls are made publicly, except for some I make behind the DM screen (those which results the players shouldn't know). I just assume a 10 for passive Spot/Listen checks so they don't notice the rolling and realize something's going on. The players have learned to stop fidgeting the dice and leave them in the middle of the table. Someone might accidentally swipe one off the table, but we just look for it before continuing the game; dice don't bounce very far on a smooth carpet.

Now that I've finished gloating about my perfect group, I agree that a little rudeness is probably the best.

About ALDI, that's a common procedure in large grocery stores in Finland. A lot of stores actually give tiny tokens to regular customers that they can use if they don't have any change.

Hironomus
2011-02-20, 05:51 AM
I have one set of dice which I eat, sleep and breath with and are for my personal use only. The other players can do whatever the heck they want as far as I am concerned I am sorted. My friends respect this and some of them have taken to using a similar method. It sounds selfish but not only does it ensure you wont encounter any annoying situations like the ones mentioned in this thread, it allows you to bond with your dice on a spiritual and emotional level, ensuring that they will always give you the best results possible.

Mercenary Pen
2011-02-20, 08:55 AM
My boyfriend (DM) uses the forum, but I don't really care if he finds the thread. I'm not too shy to talk to him about it (I already have), and he knows my frustrations. And he fears my love of chocolate too much to go near the hidey hole. :smallamused:

The game went great yesterday. What a surprise... as soon as I said I had lost my dice with no chance of finding them, everybody had their own set. We didn't have to spend 15 minutes before each battle waiting for everybody to choose a pretty set because they already brought one. If they do it next week and the week after, I might actually take my bag out of hiding again. I'm combing the basement for what's been lost, but I doubt I'll find much at this point. The floors stop an inch away from the walls on all sides to drop down into a little crevice, so I'm assuming that's where most of them have rolled away to.

The other thing to do now that the other players have started to bring their own dice again is to quietly look out for any of 'their' dice that you recognise as being ones of yours that have gone missing. This is potentially a very ugly side of the matter, especially if you do find any of yours in their keeping, so you'll almost need to be insanely careful about this- but it will reinforce to them that you actually care about your stuff and tell them that they should care about your stuff too.

Cogidubnus
2011-02-20, 01:43 PM
Me? I'd get all the nice, resilient cheap polymer ones, and cover them in something that'll make them really sticky (apple juice'll do) and leave those out for everyone to play with. They'll feel so gross at the end they'll bring their own.

Course, you're a much nicer person than I am, as you have evidenced. I sympathise with your suffering and your actions.

Occasional Sage
2011-02-20, 02:30 PM
.... you wish to send me those short bread cookies they sound delish *waves fingers pretending to do the jedi mind trick*

I cannot send what has already been eaten. :smalltongue:

Sure you can. I think you meant to say that he doesn't want you to.

If the next weeks don't continue going the right way, my offer to play bad cop stands.