PDA

View Full Version : Killed a fellow Pc! What to do now?!

Kaim_the_angel
2011-02-18, 06:24 PM
Essentually my gaming group consists of three people, me, a freind and our dm and at the moment we are deep in an evil campagin.
I am playing a fallen angel and my freind was playing a socerror with leadership (essentually an evil mastermind), he bent on controlling the world, me bent on wiping it clean...by eradicating all life, starting with evil aligned characters.
So the games gone on for a while and we have had a party split, i found out his plans were going to subvert mine so i did the natural thing, and planned to assasinate him:smallsmile:.
My orgiinal plan was to use people he knows to lull him into a false sense of security then whilst shape changed assasinate him, unfortunatly due to things beyond my control i missed a night and they went on without me. My DM went ahead and acted on my plan, my cover was moderatly blown (He worked out somone was going to try and kill him, but didnt know it was me) and my DM decided rather than flee and remain inconspicuos (to avoid out of game arguments) I Would reveal my true form and kill not only him, but his entire orginisation....in an evening.
Whilst I am very proud of little Kaims killing spree and effectivness, I also fear out of game repecussions and meta-gaming....help :smalleek:

ninja_penguin
2011-02-18, 06:30 PM
Whilst I am very proud of little Kaims killing spree and effectivness, I also fear out of game repecussions and meta-gaming....help :smalleek:

Then you probably shouldn't have done that, or at least talked about it with the player beforehand.

FoE
2011-02-18, 06:30 PM
You have made your first PC kill. Eat his heart to gain his strength.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 06:32 PM
Sit down with the player outside the game, buy him lunch, talk it over. Smooth things over. Make it completely clear that you still think him good people, and that you were just playing the game as best you could. Help him build a new character, get settled in the game again, and the works.

Asheram
2011-02-18, 06:32 PM
... if I were you, I'd first be very cross at your DM for acting as your replacement like this when it comes to such a sensitive matter.

Second; This isn't your fault, it's your characters fault. And it was your DM that played him (or that's what this sounds like), so I wouldn't worry (that much) about any out of game reprecussions. "Dude, I'm sorry you died. I had 'stabbing' in mind but the GM heard 'genocide'"

Kaim_the_angel
2011-02-18, 06:41 PM
Hopefully the guy wont be too pissed off, mabye just custom build his next character to kill mine but hey :smallbiggrin:
But I am pissed the DM highjacked my character, this isent the first team kill ive had though, when our group was larger (before college and jobs split us up) it was kind off a recurring joke who I would kill next out of minor annoyance, the main reason I'm worried is the guy really liked the character, you ever watched BLEACH? Well he essentually built Sosuke Aizen...he had to be stopped :smallbiggrin:

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 06:42 PM
Hopefully the guy wont be too pissed off, mabye just custom build his next character to kill mine but hey :smallbiggrin:
But I am pissed the DM highjacked my character, this isent the first team kill ive had though, when our group was larger (before college and jobs split us up) it was kind off a recurring joke who I would kill next out of minor annoyance, the main reason I'm worried is the guy really liked the character, you ever watched BLEACH? Well he essentually built Sosuke Aizen...he had to be stopped :smallbiggrin:

McDude, I got nothing. This is your problem, triage it, talk to the people involved. There's no general case solution for this stuff.

Dalek-K
2011-02-18, 06:45 PM
It was not your character's fault... You are the character and decided what actions he/she would take and what he/she would think. A leader is responsible for his minions and thus you are responsible for your character.

You should just reset everything in this game and try again... This time since you are working as a team make sure you have the same goals and that back stabbing is not going to happen.

You could have avoided your first PC kill easily by letting your character decide to kill his ally LAST (as with his followers) while destroying everyone else along the way. You could have poisoned his followers thus he would need more which would trust you (some what) since you are the boss's friend.
If anything using him to bring more people in would have served your purpose easier...

No PC kill till the end (which doesn't have to ever happen) or more than likely one of you die/soul bind/other awesome magik to mess you over...

Lawless III
2011-02-18, 09:44 PM
If it is within the expected parameters of the game you were all expecting to play, it's not really a big deal. These things happen, especially in evil campaigns. It sucks that the DM just went ahead with it when you weren't there, but what's done is done. Now you simply need a way for your character to get away with it. For this we will need to know how it went down, who saw it, the basics of the other party members, etc.

Private-Prinny
2011-02-18, 09:52 PM
It was not your character's fault... You are the character and decided what actions he/she would take and what he/she would think. A leader is responsible for his minions and thus you are responsible for your character.

Um, actually...

My orgiinal plan was to use people he knows to lull him into a false sense of security then whilst shape changed assasinate him, unfortunatly due to things beyond my control i missed a night and they went on without me. My DM went ahead and acted on my plan, my cover was moderatly blown (He worked out somone was going to try and kill him, but didnt know it was me) and my DM decided rather than flee and remain inconspicuos (to avoid out of game arguments) I Would reveal my true form and kill not only him, but his entire orginisation....in an evening.

This happened while he wasn't at the session. His DM hijacked the character and killed the PC. What you're saying is like implying that you should pay for a charge on a credit card that someone made in your name, because you would buy that sort of thing.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 10:05 PM
Um, actually...

This happened while he wasn't at the session. His DM hijacked the character and killed the PC. What you're saying is like implying that you should pay for a charge on a credit card that someone made in your name, because you would buy that sort of thing.

There are two differences:

One, they then shipped it to you.
Two, the package contained a spare bobcat.

Dust
2011-02-18, 10:14 PM
There's no need to go into deep metaphor territory, since stating the obvious facts with a twist is actually a far better analogy.

It's more like a mafia don planning to kill his rival. One night, the mob boss comes down with a cold and sends his hired thug to commit the assassination instead. The hired thug ends up being the Joker, and ends up turning a precise hit into a slaughter.
And now the mob boss is worried that someone's feelings might be hurt.

The dude's plan was to kill the other PC. Mission accomplished, though it was messier than he hoped for. This sort of situation always is.

But the OP even said he's 'very proud' of the killing spree. So what's the problem here? Players should know that in an evil campaign, there's zero guarantee other PCs won't strike out. There's absolutely no sense in making a plan that you know might have repercussions, if you then come to forums asking for help because you're WORRIED about the repercussions.

TDLR; You get zero sympathy from me, OP. Shouldn't make in-character decisions if you can't handle it out-of-character.

Skaven
2011-02-18, 10:40 PM
Inter party PvP and player character killing is never a good idea if all the players involved are not happy with player character conflict.

If you knew there would be problems out of character you should never have done it. You need to make sure this kind of thing is ok in advance. Whether the DM went ahead with it in another way really isn't part of the issue.. you made the decision to attack the other players character.

People play these games to have fun, if they're not happy with PvP they will not be having fun.

You are your character, you are the one making the decisions. There are always ways to rationalize other decisions and actions in character away from a PvP solution.

Long story short, it is not worth affecting real life friendships for the sake of a game. PvP is always a bad idea unless you clear it in advance.

Knaight
2011-02-18, 10:42 PM
You are your character, you are the one making the decisions. There are always ways to rationalize other decisions and actions in character away from a PvP solution.

In this case it was a GM decision, as stated in the first post. On another point, its probably best not to use terms along the lines of "you are your character", this exact stereotype has caused way too much stigmatization of the hobby to be getting into the habit of using conversationally.

Jay R
2011-02-18, 11:31 PM
First, loot the bodies.

Second, set wards and Alarm spells. Company's comin'.

Third, start a major, public plan to get revenge on the vile magic-user who killed him shape-changed as Kaim.

-------------------

OK, now that I've gotten that out of my system, let's get serious. People who will create out of game repercussions and meta-gaming have no business playing PvP. Party deaths are always a possibility in a PvP game with evil characters.

Talk to the other player. Find out if he's upset that you did this to him, or merely annoyed that he lost the game. In either case, if you think trouble will come from this, offer to help his new character and to avoid PvP. But everyone in the game has to consider character deaths a reasonable outcome if you're going to play PvP at all.

And yes, set the wards. The character had allies who want to revenge themselves, or associates who would like to loot your now twice-as-lucrative soon-to-be corpse.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-19, 12:35 AM
Sounds pretty reasonable for an evil campaign, especially concerned with 2 characters who practically both strive for world domination (and subsequent destruction, in one case).

It's completely reasonable in-character. And when you make such character, you should realize that.

More on topic, I don't see what's the big problem, honestly. You are innocent in any case - the DM did it. Playing a campaign like this, I'd be perfectly fine with PvP.

I can't imagine people actually getting mad over this kinda thing. Just laugh it off, and expect revenge at some point.

Crossblade
2011-02-19, 01:03 AM
Two character party, and the party is split and planning to kill each other. This game shouldn't have been played past the first minute.

The only thing that could have been worse than that is if it were a solo campaign with a 1 PC party, who's character decided to kill its whole adventuring group.

Like everyone else, I'm going to say:
You should have saw this coming.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-19, 01:27 AM
Yeah, the idea of 1 or 2 players (not counting DM) just seems rather stupid to me. The smallest party we do is 3 (again, not counting DM), and that's only because we can't find more people to play with us. Any less than 3 PCs and it's too hard to cover all the party roles, there's too little possibility for role-playing dynamic, I dunno... Too little everything. Just doesn't sound fun to me.

FelixG
2011-02-19, 01:44 AM
Yeah, the idea of 1 or 2 players (not counting DM) just seems rather stupid to me. The smallest party we do is 3 (again, not counting DM), and that's only because we can't find more people to play with us. Any less than 3 PCs and it's too hard to cover all the party roles, there's too little possibility for role-playing dynamic, I dunno... Too little everything. Just doesn't sound fun to me.

so...because there are no other players and they still want to play DnD even if there are only three of them they are stupid? :smallannoyed: I suppose it would be a better option just to give up a fun pass time because they dont have an arbitrary number of people?

Callista
2011-02-19, 02:13 AM
Sit down with the player outside the game, buy him lunch, talk it over. Smooth things over. Make it completely clear that you still think him good people, and that you were just playing the game as best you could. Help him build a new character, get settled in the game again, and the works.Yup, this. And talk the DM into letting him make the new character at the same level and wealth.

That said, your DM is being a little controlling forcing you to play your character a certain way. Whether you would have started fighting or just rode off into the sunset or bluffed your way through or anything else should be up to you, not the DM. Have a chat with the fellow, tell him that you didn't really like the way he insisted on your character taking one path rather than any of the other things he might logically (and in character) have done. He really should have delayed making such a major decision until you could give your input...

I'm assuming that since this is an Evil game, PC-killing was okayed at the start; but did you set down some ground rules to make sure nobody would end up just having his throat slit in the middle of the night? It's usually OK with most people to have their characters killed; but getting them killed in a really anticlimactic manner is not at all fun. Setting some ground rules so that everybody has the chance to go out fighting--or even turn the tables--does help ensure that everybody has fun.

Janus
2011-02-19, 06:10 AM
1) As others have said, smooth things out with the player. It's only a game, after all.

2)
Halt! You violated the law! Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence! Your stolen goods are now forfeit!

HunterOfJello
2011-02-19, 06:36 AM
Set up a new character who won't end up in a situation where the two players are plotting against eachother.

Jay R
2011-02-19, 11:49 AM
A. The DM can kill your character. If you're not ready for that, don't play.

B. In PvP, the other player can kill you, if you're not ready for that, don't play PvP.

C Why was there a session with only one player? Is it because the PvP was so overt that all sessions had to be like that? If so, the potential for immediate character combat was clearly known in advance.

D. Do we have any reason to believe that the player whose character died is upset? I have the feeling that we have a PvP game in which one player wasn't really ready for the consequences of PvP -- but that player was the OP.

E. There was a serious tactical flaw for these characters. in a 2-player game, PvP is really dumb. A 2-player party is weak enough, but you don't throw it away to get weaker. A one-character party -- even with a legion of hirelings -- is one mistake away from a TPK.