PDA

View Full Version : The Witchfire Trilogy: A Campaign Journal

dsmiles
2011-02-18, 06:50 PM
So, I'm running The Witchfire Trilogy for my group, starting this weekend. This is set in the Iron Kingdoms in Cygnar. I imagine that the group will consist of: an Arcane Mechanic (probably human), a Rogue (or Scout), a Cleric, and a Martial Adept of some sort (probably a Warblade). Let's start off with a little background:
Enter The Kingdom of Cygnar
So, new to the Cygnar, are ye? I'll give ye the five-copper tour. The Kingdom is about two hundred leagues from north to south. We've three major rivers, one inland sea and scores of lakes. The capital is Caspia, far to the south, where the Black River empties into the Gulf of Cygnar.
The Kingdom was founded about 400 years ago, at the end of the Orgoth Empire. As ye know, the Orgoth raiders conquered this land a thousand years ago, and ruled it with an iron fist. It was only after hundreds of years of brutal rebellion that the inhabitants of this continent defeated the invaders. Born in this conflict was what we today call the Iron Kingdoms - of which Cygnar is the shining star.
Cygnar's last ruler was King Vinter Raelthorne IV - a cruel, evil man. After almost two decades of his rule, his younger brother Leto led the coup that removed him from power. Unfortunately, with the help of those still loyal to him, Raelthorne the Elder managed to escape the palace before his execution. He is rumored to be plotting his revenge to this day, but no one has seen hide nor hair of him or his black-hearted lieutenants.
I wouldn't worry about Raelthorne the Elder, though - he hasn't a chance of regaining the throne. His brother Leto is a fine king and an honorable man. Under his rule the Kingdom has become a much safer place. So long as ye stay within the cities or on the major trade routed, nary a soul will bother ye. The King's patrols are a common site, and they do a fine job at keeping the peace, though they are often heavy handed. Don't cross them, my friend, or there'll be a warrant out on ye before ye know it.
The King has also started building roads to support more trade, though there are years of work still to be done - and plenty of taxes to be collected, I'll wager. Taxmen are almost as commonly seen as guard patrols, but at least they finance the mighty steamjacks that are carving roads out of the livnig rock.
Lesser Cygnar, as the south is called are home to rocky hills and lush forests. The moors of Greater Cygnar, to the north are dotted with swamps and marshes. It's here, where the Black River and the Dragon's Tongue diverge that you'll find the city of Corvis.

The City of Corvis
Ah, Corvis. "City of Ghosts," they call it. Merchants that plied the Black River and Dragon's Tongue founded the city almost nine hundred years ago, right at the edge of a natural harbor where the rivers meet. Those pioneers believed that trade from the rivers could drive the growth of a city, and they were right. They had a rough time of it at first, but soon the city was growing faster than a swamp rat pup. Today, about 100,000 souls call it home, and more arrive every day. Corvis is an island of civilization in the roughest part of Greater Cygnar. The next closest major city is Point Bourne, over two hundred leagues to the west. Farther still downstream is the infamous Five Fingers.
Most of the folk in Corvis are human, but ye do see some elvenkind and dwarves passing through. If ye need a smith's services there'll be some fine dwarven shops in the armorers 'bourg. If ye need some muscle, there'll be some thugs for hire at the waterfront. There'll be trouble for ye there too if ye aren't careful - the river folk are a tough lot. Keep to the merchant's 'bourg at night, where the Watch is always close at hand. Corvis has seen folk tougher than you floating in the harbor.
Being built in a swamp and such, space is precious, and the folks of Corvis tend to build up rather than across. Down at street level, lost in the mists, are the rough stone structures of Old Corvis. Built on top of them are the elegant spires of New Corvis - home to the merchant elite. In between are shops and homes of regular folk, and it's all connected by a maze of ramps, bridges, canals and tunnels that would drive even a dwarven engineer mad!
The wonders of Corvis, like so much else in the Iron Kingdoms, wouldn't be possible without the advent of the steamjacks. The first of the metal giants were brought to the city about 300 years ago, where they worked the quarries, cutting stone for new buildings. They also carved roads and worked the docks - without them, we'd be a second-rate town like Five Fingers, I tell ye. If ye be curious about the Kingdom's famous steamjacks, ye need only visit the docks. There are always some there hauling cargo about.
Ye may wish to hire a guide, friend, for you'll soon find yourself lost without one. Corvis is a maze, and that's just what you'll find above ground. The original city, laid nine centuries ago, has long since been swallowed by the swamp. It's now a maze of catacombs, and is home to naught but hooligans...and worse, I hear. If ye have a brain in that knobby head of yours, stay out of the Undercity.
So, are ye wondering why they cal Corvis the "City of Chosts?" They say that Old Corvis is haunted by the ghosts of the first settlers, many of who died in the early days. Many folk believe that anyone who drowns in the canals or the harbor is doomed to walk the city for eternity. The dead are said to walk about openly in the Undercity, which is one more reason to stay out, if ye ask me. Any way you look at it, there's nary a soul in Corvis who hasn't seen a shade at one time or another - or so they claim. Stay here long enough and I wager you'll see one too.
In fact, the Longest Night is fast approaching, lad. As ye know, once every year or so, an eclipse blackens the skies all over the Iron Kingdoms. Well, here in Corvis, the eclipse has always unleashed our largest festival, a grand all-night party, the likes of which you've never seen. The streets will be full of revelers, and spirits too if ye believe the locals.
There is is, lad, a bit of Corvis lore for ye. I hope it serves ye well. Keep your wits about ye, and stay away from the waterfront at night if ye want to avoid seeing yer own guts.

EDIT: Here's a taste of my writing style from my previous Campaign Journal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173976) (that, sadly, my group never got to finish).

Also, those in Northern Virginia are welcome to participate. I have room for 3 more in the group. PM me for details.

herrhauptmann
2011-02-18, 08:36 PM
Played through this years ago (when first released as a 3.0 game), it was a blast. Hope your cleric doesn't try to go RSoP, doing that well at turning can really mess with parts of the story line.

dsmiles
2011-02-18, 08:42 PM
RSoP isn't available, as there is no Pelor. He'll probably go into Battle Chaplain or Preceptor of Cyriss.

Noedig
2011-02-18, 08:50 PM
I've always wanted to play in the Iron Kingdoms, but unfortunately have never been able to. I've been wanting to play a Gun Mage/Duelist for years.

dsmiles
2011-02-18, 09:11 PM
I've got room for more, if you live in Northern Virginia.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 09:23 PM
Show me how to hug you.

dsmiles
2011-02-18, 09:26 PM
I'll pass on the hug, but if you're in the area, you can join in.

Doc Roc
2011-02-18, 09:27 PM
I'll pass on the hug, but if you're in the area, you can join in.

I am no longer, I'm afraid. I moved 3200 miles for a programming job.

starwoof
2011-02-18, 09:28 PM
I'm clear on the other side of the country so I can't join in, but I am watching with interest. I love the Iron Kingdoms and I will probably never get a chance to play (dnd) in them.

dsmiles
2011-02-21, 05:55 PM
So much for that idea. Hopefully I'll have better luck next weekend. :smallsigh:

Dead_Jester
2011-02-21, 05:59 PM
So, I would assume all you characters are faithful Morrowans? Or at least the Cleric...

Because if he's a follower of Menoth (or even better, Thamar or the Devourer Wurm), then things could get ugly later on, but I won't spoil it...

dsmiles
2011-02-21, 06:04 PM
Cyriss, in fact. The entire group centers around mechanicka. The arcane mechanick plans on going into either Ironhead or Warcaster. The rogue will probably multi-class with bodger, and the martial adept...well...he's just the hired muscle.

Leon
2011-02-22, 07:44 AM
Awaiting commencement of Journal.

Aust Nailo
2011-02-22, 09:11 AM
Eagerly waiting for this, I'm about to try DM'ing my own Witchfire Campaign soon, and I'll be reading this to compare.:smallbiggrin: