PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a Character: Psion

Elric VIII
2011-02-18, 07:20 PM
With the advice I have received in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186164) thread I have come up with a character. I would like some help and advice for the mechanical aspects of it.

The Story:

Originally a spy for a minor noble, Bran Howell was a street urchin whose innate talent for stealth and cunning caught the eye of a local spymaster. Eventually he was captured during an infiltration assignment. Over the course of his detainment he was tortured. The mental and physical strain unlocked a latent talent of his, psionic power. Bran used his newfound powers to escape his prison, however his ordeal greatly changed him. He believes that the powers were divine interdiction and has vowed to change his ways.

Due to their nature, he often hides his abilities for fear of being taken for an Illithid-spawn or other vile abberation. Bran ran from his life of espionage, abandoning his lord and his nation. As such, he is constantly on the move, for fear of being executed as a traitor. He now takes on the mantle of an adventurer, using his talents of stealth and cunning to further causes he sees as good.

He finds himself at odds with his newfound goodness, he has been raised with the ideal of survival of the fittest. He is always quick to make a joke and uses his jovial nature to earn allies from those he meets. He is calm in the face of opposition, trusting in the abilities of his allies and himself, and always seems to know something that everyone else doesn't. This combination of calmness and glibness causes those that would threaten Bran to underestimate him.

(Imagine a personality similar to David Tennant as Dr. Who)

The Build:

Human Paragon 1/Psion 1/Human Paraon +2/Psion +1/Constructor 10/Psion +5

My DM has allowed Human Paragon to advance psionics. I will be a Shaper, usine the metacreativity powers to create the various tools I need, making me a very good spy, since the evidence of my tools will disappear after a while.

I'll probobly be the party face, with Cha as my secondary stat; I will be using Human Paragon and Able Learner to get the skills I want always maxed. My focus will be on Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Info, Hide, Knowledge (Arcana, Nature, The Planes), Move Silently. I am assuming 18 Int; this yields a minimum of 9 skills possible that I can max, not counting the 1/4 level increase. +4(Int) +1(HParagon 3) +1(Human) +2(Psion levels) +1 (Nymph's Kiss) = 9/level with an additional 2 each level of HParagon and Constructor to make up gaps (like those from the Constructor prereqs).

Now, I'm not sure what crafting skill will be the most useful. I figure that I will want to make things like thieve's tools, rope, grappling hooks, bridges, ladders, clothes for disguises, etc. I doubt that there's a Craft that encompases all of these, but I would like suggestions of a craft to take and some applications of that craft.

Feats:

Human: Able Learner

Flaw (noncomatant): Nymph's Kiss

Flaw (feeble): Psicrystal Affinity

1: Hidden Talent - Astral Construct

2(Psion 1): Extend Power

3(HParagon 2): Boost Construct

3: Overchannel

6: Talented

9: Practiced Manifester

12: Psionic Meditation

15: Psicrystal Containment

18(Psion 5): Twin Power

18: EK - Schism

Powers:

1:
Ecto Protection
Entangling Ectoplasm
Minor Creation, Psionic
Synchronicity
Vigor

2:
Damp Power
Knock, Psionic
Share Pain
Repair Damage, Psionic

3:
Concealing Amorpha, Greater
Dispel Psionics
Evade Burst*
Time Hop

4:
Dimension Door, Psionic
Divination, Psionic
Fabricate, Psionic
Freedom of Movement, Psionic

5:
Anticipatory Strike
Hail of Crystals
Major Creation, Psionic
True Seeing, Psionic

6:
Fabricate, Greater Psionic
Probability Mantle
Temporal Acceleration

7:
Divert Teleport
Ectoplasmic Cocoon, Mass
Moment of Prescience, Psionic

8:
Bend Reality
Shadow Body
Teleport, Psionic Greater
9:
Reality Revision

*This is acquired by using the independent research option to get the level 3 psiwar version.

I have a few qestions, but I would also like general advice on the build as well.

1.) Is it viable to use Astral Construct as your only/major offensive power?

2.) Are there any ways to gain extra skill points each level?

3.) How useful/cheesy is using the independent research option to gain access to powers not on your list?

4.) Is it reasonable to try to get my DM to waive the Astral Construct and Metacreativity damage type nerfs?

5.) How does the Astral Construct nerf interact with Twin Power?

6.) What is a useful Craft skill to take in order to get the most out of the creation powers (see specifics in the build tab?

Draz74
2011-02-18, 07:37 PM
6.) What is a useful Craft skill to take in order to get the most out of the creation powers (see specifics in the build tab?

I've been known to take Craft (pioneering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneering_%28Scouting%29)) to cover the ropes/bridges/ladders stuff.

dsmiles
2011-02-18, 07:44 PM
I've been known to take Craft (pioneering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneering_%28Scouting%29)) to cover the ropes/bridges/ladders stuff.Craft: Sculpture is also good for a shaper.

Elric VIII
2011-02-18, 08:34 PM
I've been known to take Craft (pioneering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneering_%28Scouting%29)) to cover the ropes/bridges/ladders stuff.

This seems good.

Craft: Sculpture is also good for a shaper.

Can it apply to both metal and stone/clay?

I have one more question, does Nymph's Kiss grant +1*4 at first level?

Daftendirekt
2011-02-18, 10:39 PM
This seems good.

Can it apply to both metal and stone/clay?

I have one more question, does Nymph's Kiss grant +1*4 at first level?

I think bonus skill points don't get multiplied, like the ones for being human.

dsmiles
2011-02-18, 10:45 PM
Can it apply to both metal and stone/clay?Depends on your DM. I'd call stone/clay one skill and metal another.

Elric VIII
2011-02-18, 10:51 PM
I think bonus skill points don't get multiplied, like the ones for being human.

I figured as much since Human specifically mentions +4 at level 1.

Depends on your DM. I'd call stone/clay one skill and metal another.

That seems reasonable. I think I'll go with Pioneering, then.

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 02:15 AM
I just want to bump this since there has been very little feedback for my questions.

I was also wondering what types of uses are there (in and out of combat) for the powers Minor Creation, Major Creation, True Creation, Fabricate, and Greater Fabricate?

It seems that they can be quite good for generating wealth via selling false goods, or refining raw materials. I just don't know what types of offensive uses they have. Can I fabricate a giant block of wood above someone's head, etc?

ex cathedra
2011-02-21, 02:23 AM
As far as I recall, it is impossible to conjure/create objects that float in space. For example, this is why you can't use Summon Monster to summon a Whale above someone's head.

There's a relevant ACF for shapers here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) that might interest you.

Also... why are you taking Hidden Power?

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 02:39 AM
As far as I recall, it is impossible to conjure/create objects that float in space. For example, this is why you can't use Summon Monster to summon a Whale above someone's head.

There's a relevant ACF for shapers here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) that might interest you.

Also... why are you taking Hidden Power?

I've seen those, but thank you.

I'm taking Hidden power because it fit with the character concept, but I was thinking about ditching it. I don't want to be wasting feats, but since my DM is alright with 2 flaws, I want to get the most out of them. All of my other feats are psionic, so I cannot take them at 1st level.

ex cathedra
2011-02-21, 03:04 AM
Well... Improved Initiative is always a nice feat, and it's especially better than... well, Hidden Power is effectively just an extra first level power known. That plus a Nimble psicrystal will give you a more than respectable initiative modifier, even before magic items.

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 03:16 AM
Well... Improved Initiative is always a nice feat, and it's especially better than... well, Hidden Power is effectively just an extra first level power known. That plus a Nimble psicrystal will give you a more than respectable initiative modifier, even before magic items.

Very good point.

1of3
2011-02-21, 03:43 AM
I have a few qestions, but I would also like general advice on the build as well.

1.) Is it viable to use Astral Construct as your only/major offensive power?

2.) Are there any ways to gain extra skill points each level?

3.) How useful/cheesy is using the independent research option to gain access to powers not on your list?

4.) Is it reasonable to try to get my DM to waive the Astral Construct and Metacreativity damage type nerfs?

5.) How does the Astral Construct nerf interact with Twin Power?

1.) Yes. Definitely, especially if you go Constructor. It's also a great power for adventuring in general.

3.) You can use Expanded Knowledge already to take other classes powers. So I suggest you apply the same restriction: Be able to cast power one level higher.

4.) I wouldn't dare.

5.) I'd say, it does not.

Also note that you do not need Knock, if you have Time Hop. Hop the door.

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 04:28 AM
1.) Yes. Definitely, especially if you go Constructor. It's also a great power for adventuring in general.

3.) You can use Expanded Knowledge already to take other classes powers. So I suggest you apply the same restriction: Be able to cast power one level higher.

4.) I wouldn't dare.

5.) I'd say, it does not.

Also note that you do not need Knock, if you have Time Hop. Hop the door.

Thank you. Good call on Time Hop > Knock.

When you say Twin Power does not interact, you mean that the second one replaces the first as if I had manifested it twice?

Daftendirekt
2011-02-21, 01:17 PM

Bowls of Petunias, however, are perfectly acceptable. Oh, not again.

Darth Stabber
2011-02-21, 01:29 PM
Given the human paragon's abilities I would say that Able learner is a bit redundant. Given that Metacreativity has the awesome Swarm of Crystals (no attack roll, no save, no SR, 15ft cone, lvl2, 1d4/pp) I would not rely solely on astral construct, just because that power is awesomely bad@$$.

Zaq
2011-02-21, 01:29 PM
Well... Improved Initiative is always a nice feat, and it's especially better than... well, Hidden Power is effectively just an extra first level power known from any list you want, faster than Expanded Knowledge can give it to you. Oh, and 2 PP. That plus a Nimble psicrystal will give you a more than respectable initiative modifier, even before magic items.

Fixed that for you.

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 01:43 PM
Given the human paragon's abilities I would say that Able learner is a bit redundant. Given that Metacreativity has the awesome Swarm of Crystals (no attack roll, no save, no SR, 15ft cone, lvl2, 1d4/pp) I would not rely solely on astral construct, just because that power is awesomely bad@$$.

How is able learner redundant? It lets me keep the 10 skills I want rather than only 1 skill as class skills regardless of multiclassing.

I agree about Swarm of Crystals I have actually been considering Crystal Spray, Swarm of Crystals, and Hail of Crystals as backup powers for sniping or crown control. I'm probobly going to end up getting rid of the lower level creation and fabricate powers in preference of those.

Darth Stabber
2011-02-21, 02:19 PM
How is able learner redundant? It lets me keep the 10 skills I want rather than only 1 skill as class skills regardless of multiclassing.

Sorry, I forgot, I usually play with the house rule of "once class, always class". I keep forgetting about that particular deviance from RAW.

And the Crystal related powers are just amazing. The low damage die may seem bad, but the fact that they always work is just fan-freakin'-tastic. They may border on broken, Thoughts?

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 03:50 PM
Sorry, I forgot, I usually play with the house rule of "once class, always class". I keep forgetting about that particular deviance from RAW.

This can somewhat be circumvented with the retraining rules in PHBII, but I usually try to push for that house rule. It's a reasonable rule that gets rid of something that really adds nothing to the game (similar to the Favored Class exp penalty).

And the Crystal related powers are just amazing. The low damage die may seem bad, but the fact that they always work is just fan-freakin'-tastic. They may border on broken, Thoughts?

Broken, probobly not. Just look at the orb spells, they are much more powerful. They may not be as adept at crowd control, but mooks usually don't do very well when making saves and their SR is not going to be too much of a problem.

The crystal powers are extremely cool. Maybe I should go for a Crystal themed Psion and have my constructs be crystaline, rather than ecto-blobs. Although if I wanted to go the psionic Blaster route I would play a Wilder, since they're quite good at blowing things up.

EDIT: Just as a complete side note, since Wilders gein more skill points per level than psion I could play one with 4 less Int than the psion I'm considering and still gain the same total skills. With Cha as my primary instead I would be a better party face as well.

vampire2948
2011-02-21, 04:38 PM
Go compare Wilder and Psion powers known before you pick Wilder :smallsmile:

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 04:56 PM
Go compare Wilder and Psion powers known before you pick Wilder :smallsmile:

I'm losing roughly 20 powers known if I select the Educated Wilder ACF. It was just a thought.

dsmiles
2011-02-21, 04:58 PM
I'm losing roughly 20 powers known if I select the Educated Wilder ACF. It was just a thought.Sure, you'll suffer from less versatility, but is it really always about power? What fits better with the character's story?

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 05:06 PM
Sure, you'll suffer from less versatility, but is it really always about power? What fits better with the character's story?

That's actually what I was thinking. In my backstory it is easy to envision his discovery of psionic powers as his first Wild Surge.

Although, trying to fill the roll normally taken by the skill monkey will demand some versatility. I will probobly use Crystal Storm and Astral Construst as my only offensive powers in this case, saving the rest for utility powers, and that's not really a bad thing.

ex cathedra
2011-02-21, 06:07 PM
Fixed that for you.

Yes, that is true, but the extra power is only really relevant if he doesn't play a Shaper, and he needs several Shaper Discipline powers if he's going to get into Constructor. It would be a reasonable choice if he were, say, to play an Egoist, but as things are it's just a very underwhelming feat slot.

Zaq
2011-02-21, 06:48 PM
Yes, that is true, but the extra power is only really relevant if he doesn't play a Shaper, and he needs several Shaper Discipline powers if he's going to get into Constructor. It would be a reasonable choice if he were, say, to play an Egoist, but as things are it's just a very underwhelming feat slot.

I just realized that he's using it on a power he could get anyway. In that case, you're absolutely right. It's pretty much a waste in this case. Now, if he were using it on Dimension Hop, or Psionic Charm, or Expansion, or any similarly cool powers that are hard to get on a Shaper, then my point would stand. As it is, you're correct, and I need to read things more carefully.

Draz74
2011-02-21, 08:13 PM
Or Precognition or Mindlink.

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 09:40 PM
The particular power I chose for Hidden Power was a leftover from when I originally had this character as a Telepath. Dimension Hop is a great power to have in its place, with Astral Construct as one of my Psion 1 powers.