PDA

View Full Version : restricted magic campagn

hivedragon
2011-02-18, 10:31 PM
Hi have a few ideas for campagn and was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips for pulling it off.
First, no "full" casters (cleric, druid, sorcerer and the wizard).
However clases like the artificer, beguiler and warmage remain optional.
Second I am removing the use magic device skill.

Oh yeah forgot to mention it's 3.5

Daftendirekt
2011-02-18, 10:36 PM
How "restricted magic" is it? Do high level spells -- 5-9 -- still exist? Seeing as partial casting classes usually only have 4 levels of spells... Maybe you could allow full casters like wiz/cleric/druid but just say that past 7th level (or whatever level is the cap for spell levels) it would be kind of pointless.

What about Psionics? Allowed at all? If so, restricted? Use Psionic Device?

hivedragon
2011-02-18, 10:49 PM
the restriction is only for the players, npcs can play full casters. I just perfer to keep things simpler for everyone with only a short list of spells to remember.

The level cap for castors sounds like a wonderful idea, about what level should they be restricted on? should I use the character's full level as there castor level? How should I handel the bard and the assassin should that come up?

I don't own any of the psionic books but if i ever aquirered any how do you think I should handeled them?

Daftendirekt
2011-02-18, 10:54 PM
Well, the only restricted magic campaign I ever did was what I mentioned in my first post: Magic only existed up to 4th level spells. 5th level on up didn't even exist in the world -- for players OR NPCs. Thus, you could play a wizard/cleric/druid as far as you wanted but it would be pointless past level 7. Our party was a paladin/cleric mix (flavor build, not optimized), a ninja going for telflammar shadowlord, and a shield bashing fighter so it didn't affect us a ton anyway (except when I was turned to stone -- stone to flesh is a 6th level spell).

Having full magic exist for NPCs seems like it could be problematic. Would bad guys have it? Would full magic only be available for purchase in cities or something? What would the justification be for only a select few having full magic and the rest being restricted to lesser magic?

hivedragon
2011-02-18, 11:23 PM
"What would the justification be for only a select few having full magic and the rest being restricted to lesser magic?"

that's already present in the game where each town may have the odd adept as the most powerful person there. in a nation there is a very uneaven ratio of magic casters to muggles. the more magical something is the rarer it should be.

'Would full magic only be available for purchase in cities or something?"

the amount of magic users per city shouldn't change just because they are not amounst your group's party

Force
2011-02-18, 11:25 PM
If you want to restrict spells for player simplicity, it's probably better to just use spontaneous casters, or to use the spontaneous variants for the prepared casting classes.

If you want to restrict power, well, then that's a whole new kettle of fish.

hivedragon
2011-02-18, 11:31 PM
in my original post I mentioned warmage and beguiler were allowed, which pretty much gives PCs the ability to cast high level spells without the need for research sorcerers and spontainious CoDzillas must contend with.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-18, 11:35 PM
He has a point. If this is a player use simplification thing, this all may be totally unnecessary. Does a fairly new player in the group want to play a full caster, but just finds the huge selection of spells daunting? Maybe tell them to wait a bit and gain more DnD knowledge before venturing into full-caster territory.

If this is about restricting overpowered casters, then allowing NPCs to still have that power while taking it away from the PCs might make them feel shortchanged a bit.

LikeAD6
2011-02-18, 11:39 PM
Will ToB be allowed? As far as I know, crusaders are the best source for nonmagical heals.