PDA

View Full Version : hiding a mcguffin

awa
2011-02-18, 11:42 PM
my character has acquired a plot important item that i would like to make hard to detect. i already have a lead box with is placed inside a steel box filled with water and will have permanent non-detection on me in a few levels but are their any other precautions i can take to hide this thing from divination (its pretty small like fist size)

Occasional Sage
2011-02-19, 12:24 AM
I'd think being small and in a lead box is reasonable*.

Though does anybody outside your party know you have the MacGuffin? If so, you don't need to hide IT, you need to hide it and yourself and your family and your close friends.

* Assuming, of course, that you're playing in a low- to mid-level game.

Dr. Steve
2011-02-19, 01:29 AM
If you have a bag of holding or a portable hole, toss it in there. It's always harder to find something when it's in an extradimensional space!

Land Outcast
2011-02-19, 01:39 AM
Is the steel box distinctive? if it isn't, make it so.

Make multiple copies and store them in vaults in every city you visit.

And put the real one in an extradimensional space. Have a shoemaker make a secret compartment in your boot, fold the bag of holding and put it there.

Crossblade
2011-02-19, 02:24 AM
Have a shoemaker make a secret compartment in your boot, fold the bag of holding and put it there.

A bag of holding is 15-60 lbs depending on the type... that's a bit of weight to drag around in one boot.

Personally, if I couldn't destroy it, I'd run with your idea Land Outcast and mix it with Dr. Steve's... but, put in several other identical boxes in the bag. Granted, if YOU want to retrieve it from the bag, it would take you just as long as anyone else, but it could easily frustrate anyone else.

Land Outcast
2011-02-19, 02:41 AM
A bag of holding is 15-60 lbs depending on the type... that's a bit of weight to drag around in one boot.
Hehe... you *might* be right :smallredface:

A portable hole might be a better idea, if available.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-19, 02:56 AM
Have the hole be a big polka-dot on your shirt. That way, if somebody tries to punch you in the chest, it doesn't do anything! Mwahaha!

ThirdEmperor
2011-02-19, 03:07 AM
Okay, here is the ultimate way to hide anything:

Put it at the bottom of a portable hole, in a lead box at least a foot thick, covered in anti-divination charms. Put a permanent wall of force around it, fill the portable hole with magma. Put portable hole in adamantine box, also covered in anti-divination spells. Kill Tarrasque, put adamantine box in Tarrasque's stomach, after using magic to ensure it won't be destroy or leave the Tarrasque's stomach next time it goes to the bathroom.

Then, on the far side of the continent, build two massive deathtraps, publically announcing that the macguffin is at the end of one of the dungeons, while keeping the other's existence secret, while sprinkling around subtle clues to it's location, and placing a fake version of the macguffin at the end of it.

Game over.

Asheram
2011-02-19, 06:06 AM
What kind of item is it?

Otherwise it'd be a fun thing to actually try the one with casting a permanent nystul's magic aura on it and then donate it to a museum as a replica while you flaunt the fake that you have with you.

awa
2011-02-19, 08:37 PM
its just a gem. i keep it in a handy haversack for extra dimensionalnes .other than that it does not sound like their are many other practical precautions i can take if i want to keep it on my person. now on a related note what divination will bypass my precautions