PDA

View Full Version : Reserves of Strength =/= Overchannel?

Elric VIII
2011-02-19, 12:30 AM
For a buffer Cleric, is Reserves of Strength worth it if you are immune to stunning?

It essentially becomes Overchannel when immune to stunning and I know that feat is basically a staple for a full manifester. However, Reserves of Strength requires Iron Will and there is no version of Talented for it. My first impression is that I would almost always rather Extend Spell for buffs and I won't be blasting. The only thing I could see as good is the interaction with Divine Power, Magic Vestment, and Greater Magic Weapon. Overchannel gets the benefit of allowing you to increase the DC of your powers as well. Additionally, as a high-Wis, good Will save character, Iron Will loses its appeal.

Simply put, are there enough useful spells that synnergize with it in order to make it worth 2 feats?

Eurus
2011-02-19, 03:00 AM
For a buffer Cleric, is Reserves of Strength worth it if you are immune to stunning?

It essentially becomes Overchannel when immune to stunning and I know that feat is basically a staple for a full manifester. However, Reserves of Strength requires Iron Will and there is no version of Talented for it. My first impression is that I would almost always rather Extend Spell for buffs and I won't be blasting. The only thing I could see as good is the interaction with Divine Power, Magic Vestment, and Greater Magic Weapon. Overchannel gets the benefit of allowing you to increase the DC of your powers as well. Additionally, as a high-Wis, good Will save character, Iron Will loses its appeal.

Simply put, are there enough useful spells that synnergize with it in order to make it worth 2 feats?

Hmm. So, pretty much any spell with a scaling bonus that has a cap could count as a synergy, right? Divine Favor, Divine Insight, Shield of Faith, Dispel Magic, pretty much all of the cure/inflict spells. I'm sure there's plenty of much better options outside of core, too. I'd say it definitely has the potential to be worth it.

Doc Roc
2011-02-19, 03:26 AM
I would consider Reserves of Strength to be one of the single strongest feats in the game. It removes caps entirely in one reading, and knocks them upward by three in the other. This makes certain spells insanely efficient, and a few other spells misbehave entirely. One can argue that Polymorph is among them, which you can get from a domain. For a cleric, it really all boils down to what domains you have.

Elric VIII
2011-02-19, 11:18 AM
I believe it is excelent for a Wizard. Polymorph, Alter Self, Ray of Enfeeblement/Stupidity, any blasty spell, and many others.

I hadn't thought of Dispel Magic, that is a great application of the feat. And I guess is the DM reads that it removes the cap entirely, a CLW can pretty much undo any of the damage you would have taken.

Thank you for the analysis.