PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding selling old books needed.

Gnomish Lab
2011-02-19, 03:25 AM
Ok, I have some text books I'm no longer using, and I want to sell them to my fellow students.

What price is reasonable to put on them (say, as a percentage of the original price)?

One book is near pristine condition (meaning you could see that it was used, but you'd have to put some effort into it), the other one is at relatively good condition (some wrinkles on its cover, but everything else is OK)

Thanks in advance,
Gnomish Lab.

Vaynor
2011-02-19, 03:43 AM
I'd check Amazon used book prices to see around what price they're selling for.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-19, 03:47 AM
I'd say half the original value assuming they're still in good, readable condition. Of course, I'm not very greedy and this I will admit does sound kind of low. Maybe 70% of the original price, but I doubt anyone will buy a used text book for more than that.

Jimorian
2011-02-19, 03:49 AM
Typically, used textbooks go for around 50% of new, but that varies. The school bookstore usually charges a bit more, 60-70%, but only pays students about 25-35% to buy them back, so if you know these numbers, splitting the difference is basically win-win for both you and the buyer. But ballpark, figure 50%, and know that condition only matters if they are so ratty you could realistically only charge 25% or less of retail. The only time you might be able to get away with charging more than 50% is if it comes with a CD/DVD or other sealed material that remains sealed.

Brother Oni
2011-02-19, 04:41 AM
Depends also on the subject of the textbook. I took a biochemistry course and most of the core books were obsolete by the time I finished my degree, so I couldn't shift any of them.

Gnomish Lab
2011-02-19, 03:49 PM
Thanks folks! :smallbiggrin:

I think I'll suggest 2/3 price on the book that is in the better condition and
1/2 price on the other one.

Well, we'll see how that goes...