PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Searching for Paragon Path for a bard

RebelRogue
2011-02-19, 08:50 AM
My IRL gaming group is about to hit Paragon level, and while my Taclord is going Battle Captain, and my wife's Warden Horned Champion, the bard in the party have not yet decided on a Paragon Path (I have no idea about the Infernalock either). He wants something with a theater flavour (setting up heroic 'scenes' somehow, perhaps), or maybe something with a 'journalistic' viewpoint (his original plot hook was, that he was a journalist who was supposed to document the heroic deeds of the group). Not very specific, I realize, but no PP I have looked at came close to what he's looking for. So I wondered, if anyone has any suggestions for him.

He's a Human Bard with the Virtue of Valor Class Feature.

Mordokai
2011-02-19, 09:09 AM
The closest thing that fits to your specifications(that I can think of) would be silver tongued scoundrel, from Dragon 386. Power wise it's nothing spectacular, at least for bards, though you do get to substitute your initiative modifier for your bluff or diplomacy modifier on level 16. This one would fit the whole journalistic flavor more, I think.

For heroic scenes... well, scounderls can be pretty heroic, so I guess the above path would work quite well. Or maybe cunning prevaricator?

Honestly, the options for bard are pretty much limitless. They can multiclass into virtually anything, if they have stats for it. Make a test build, cram all the multiclass feats in it and then check what options are avaible to you in character builder. That should give you the general idea of what you'd like.

dsmiles
2011-02-19, 09:32 AM
You know, Djinn in Tonic had a whole thread over in Homebrew that had a couple of great Bard Paragon Paths (among others). I can't seem to dig it up, though. I know I copied and pasted them into Word so that I could use them in my homebrewed 4e campaign setting.

RebelRogue
2011-02-19, 09:33 AM
The closest thing that fits to your specifications(that I can think of) would be silver tongued scoundrel, from Dragon 386. Power wise it's nothing spectacular, at least for bards, though you do get to substitute your initiative modifier for your bluff or diplomacy modifier on level 16. This one would fit the whole journalistic flavor more, I think.
Ok, thanks. I'll check that one out.

Honestly, the options for bard are pretty much limitless. They can multiclass into virtually anything, if they have stats for it. Make a test build, cram all the multiclass feats in it and then check what options are avaible to you in character builder. That should give you the general idea of what you'd like.
I've suggested multiclassing before, but he's not really interested in that.

Mordokai
2011-02-19, 09:36 AM
I'm afraid in that case his options drop significantly. There are still a lot of paragon paths avaible to bards, but I think some of the best can only be achieved through multiclassing.

But then, it's his choice, I'm just throwing ideas around :smallsmile:

Dimers
2011-02-19, 01:15 PM
How about Adroit Explorer, the human racial PP? If the bard's player is fine with what he's got, Adroit Explorer just gives more of the same.

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-19, 02:19 PM
Adroit Explorer sounds like a good fit, but keep in mind that since you're a Valor Bard, going anything other than Warchanter will be a significant hit to your optimization (Warchanter is one of those Paragon Paths that is simply too good not to take. Think of it as the Daggermaster of Bards).

DragonBaneDM
2011-02-19, 03:53 PM
Adroit Explorer sounds like a good fit, but keep in mind that since you're a Valor Bard, going anything other than Warchanter will be a significant hit to your optimization (Warchanter is one of those Paragon Paths that is simply too good not to take. Think of it as the Daggermaster of Bards).

Agreed. It's a fantastic Paragon Path, and what I'd suggest is using some creativity or character development to justify it for your character.

Maybe your newfound power is a result of the bond you feel between you and your party, or maybe you're starting to be less of a journalist and more of a hero yourself?