PDA

View Full Version : Ur-Priest/Ruby Knight Vindicator

the_archduke
2011-02-19, 12:48 PM
This probably isn't any kind of unique build, but I just realized that the 8 caster levels on RKV could advance Ur-Priest. I want to use a Crusader chassis, so my build right now is

Crusader 6 or 7/XXX 1 or 2/Ur-Priest 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10

The XXX is a class that can give me Knowledge The Planes and Knowledge Arcana as well as having a good will save so I can get into Ur-Priest before RKV. I was thinking Monk which would synergize very well, but Monk doesn't get Knowledge The Planes.

Any suggestions on a different class and/or a way to get Knowledge the Planes as a class skill without a level dip?

Draculmaulkee
2011-02-19, 12:50 PM
Wizard and Archivist both have a good will save and all knowledge skills as class skills

Frog Dragon
2011-02-19, 12:54 PM
Educated feat for all knowledge skills as class skills.

FMArthur
2011-02-19, 12:57 PM
So does the Cloistered Cleric variant, which may be more helpful in a dip because of domain granted powers or subbed-in Devotion feats in place of domains. Ur-priest takes away any actual spellcasting you'd get out of Cleric or Archivist, though.

kestrel404
2011-02-19, 02:36 PM
I recommend Incarnate (Magic of Incarnum). One or two levels will give a slew of interesting options.

Edit: Binder also makes a very tasty dip and fits the bill.

Jair Barik
2011-02-19, 02:57 PM
Could take a small dip into Marshal

the_archduke
2011-02-19, 03:38 PM
Binder looks great, but I realized I need Spellcraft 8 too. Any way to get that as a class skill?

My ultimate goal is 9th level Divine casting + 9th level maneuvers and as CHA SAD as possible. I'm already going to use Dynamic Priest on my Ur-Priest casting.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-19, 05:06 PM
Taking a few levels of crusader, 2 levels of ur priest then go into RKV would be pretty good.

Kylarra
2011-02-19, 05:10 PM
Bard could work for your purposes. Lots of skill points and all the ones needed as class skills.

Eldariel
2011-02-19, 05:14 PM
Why do you need Knowledge: The Planes in class? 5 ranks is enough, you can get that cross-class by level 7. Same with Knowledge: Arcana. Knowledge: Religion is the only K you need in class to enter Ur-Priest.

Swordsage is a good option for the 2 levels, by the way. Gets you some Shadow Hand base abilities to qualify for RKV and has the good Will-saves and Wis to AC in Light Armor and stuff. Hell, you even get Discipline Focus to make up for the lost BAB.

Other good options include Duskblade (couple of convenient spells [notably True Strike], good Will & Fort, good BAB, access to arcane wands), Incarnate (yeah, good stuff), Binder (good stuff) & stuff (good stuff). I suggest you pick good stuff.

golem1972
2011-02-19, 05:21 PM
Two levels of Swordsage will get you the will save (or Binder 1 + SS 1 IIRC).

Adding SS will have the nice side effect of giving you a bunch of SS maneuvers and a SS initiator level of about 16.

Does Binder also grant Spellcraft? (Sorry, AFB)

There was a really odd build on one of these sites that had a really high initiator level. Something like Binder 1 / Fighter 1 / Bloodline 3 / Crusader 1 / Swordsage 1 / Warblade 1 / Ur-Priest 2 / RKV 2 / Legacy Champion 6 (?) / Master of Nine 2 (Don't hold me to this, going off memory since it doesn't come up on google.). Caster level around 12 (9th level spells) and Initiator level around 30 (again, IIRC). There was a lot of arguing about whether or not it worked though.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-19, 05:35 PM
"Start with Factotum 1 or 2, take Able Learner, and watch as all your skill problems go away. Call now and get 20% off! Satisfaction or your money back*!"
*Attempting to get money back voids.

Okay, couldn't resist the joke, but seriously, Factotum makes everything easier.

Psyren
2011-02-19, 07:00 PM
Note: RKV has the same problem as Eldritch Disciple in that it requires you to worship a deity. So you'll have to get your DM to okay both Adaptations for this to work. (The RKV one that lets you switch from Wee Jas to another deity, and the UP one that lets you worship a dead god instead of none at all.)

Note also that Planar Monk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040706a&page=2) sub-levels do get Know: Planes in-class if you really want that dip.

Scratch that, you need 5 monk levels to get one :smallyuk:

RndmNumGen
2011-02-19, 07:15 PM
Taking a few levels of crusader, 2 levels of ur priest then go into RKV would be pretty good.

:smallconfused: Isn't that EXACTLY what the OP says?

kestrel404
2011-02-20, 11:16 AM
Duskblade. A one level dip of that will get you the class skills you need and doesn't reduce your BAB.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-20, 12:06 PM
:smallconfused: Isn't that EXACTLY what the OP says?

Yes but 6 or 7 crusader levels is too many I think. Heres what I think the build should look like:

1) Swordsage 1
2) Swordsage 2
3) Crusader 1/swordsage 2
4) Crusader 2/swordsage 2
5) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 1
6) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2
7) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 1
8) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 2
9) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 3
and so on untill you reach level 10 in RKV then swordsage all the way for class features and maneuvers, or just go into master of nine, at the end of the day it's down to your preference, I'd personally prefer master of nine for the versatility of maneuvers.

I could put this into a table if someone wanted.

Cieyrin
2011-02-20, 03:28 PM
Yes but 6 or 7 crusader levels is too many I think. Heres what I think the build should look like:

1) Swordsage 1
2) Swordsage 2
3) Crusader 1/swordsage 2
4) Crusader 2/swordsage 2
5) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 1
6) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2
7) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 1
8) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 2
9) Crusader 2/swordsage 2/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 3
and so on untill you reach level 10 in RKV then swordsage all the way for class features and maneuvers, or just go into master of nine, at the end of the day it's down to your preference, I'd personally prefer master of nine for the versatility of maneuvers.

I could put this into a table if someone wanted.

How exactly are you getting into Ur Priest at ECL 5? It's skill requirements require 8 ranks in some skills, which can't be met at ECL 4, what with the skill rank cap being at 7 ranks.

Curmudgeon
2011-02-20, 04:53 PM
You can separate out the Knowledge class skill requirements; that's solvable by taking the Education feat (Eberron Campaign Setting) at level 1. Education is a general (not Eberron-specific) feat which makes all Knowledge skills class skills for all your classes.