PDA

View Full Version : Order to take feats? (human Warblade)

danzibr
2011-02-19, 03:51 PM
I'm going to be starting a campaign at level 2 and plan on going Warblade all the way to 20. The DM is allowing 2 flaws and we can take feats as we meet the prereqs (so I could take Endurance and Steadfast Determination at level 1). I was wanting to take the following:

Power Attack -> Improved Bull Rush -> Shock Trooper
Endurance -> Steadfast Determination (more for flavor reasons)
Combat Reflexes -> Robilar's Gambit
Power Attack -> Leap Attack
Combat Expertise, Dodge -> Karmic Strike
Power Attack -> Improved Sunder -> Combat Brute
Dodge -> Mobility -> Elusive Target
Stormguard Warrior

Obviously I won't be taking Power Attack 3 times. Anyways, I'm not sure about going for Combat Brute, Elusive Target or Stormguard Warrior.

The thing is, out of all of these, I've only used Power Attack and Dodge. What do people think are good feats to go for first? Also, if there's something on the list which sucks or something missing which is essential for a Warblade, please let me know.

FMArthur
2011-02-19, 03:58 PM
Unless you're going for a very big Constitution score (which I doubt if you're also using Power Attack and Combat Reflexes), I think Iron Will will probably be a much cheaper alternative to taking both Endurance and Steadfast Determination, since you've already got quite a list of feats you want to take. And I think there's a special location you can go to in order to obtain it without spending any feats at all.

Jopustopin
2011-02-19, 05:55 PM
You're a warblade you don't need to worry about your saving throw.

Moment of Perfect Mind (read this then read it again)

if you're still worried

Iron Heart Surge (read this then read it again)

Both are maneuvers you can grab as a warblade. Forget your saving throws.

danzibr
2011-02-19, 08:54 PM
Oh cool about the saving throws. Thanks.

With that mind, I'm thinking something like this:

Combat Expertise (lvl 1)
Exotic Weapon Prof Fullblade (human)
Dodge (flaw, Shaky)
Karmic Strike (flaw, Weak Will)
Power Attack (lvl 3)
Imp Bull Rush (lvl 5)
Shock Trooper (lvl 6)
Combat Reflexes (lvl 9)
Leap Attack (lvl 9)
Robilar's Gambit (lvl 12)
(lvl 13)
(lvl 15)
(lvl 17)
(lvl 18)

Then I'd fill up the last 4 with maybe Improved Sunder and some other things. As far as use of feats, is this good? Specifically, I don't know if there's something I should focus on trying to get immediately (right now I'm focusing on Karmic Strike and Shock Trooper ASAP).

CyMage
2011-02-19, 11:42 PM
You're a warblade you don't need to worry about your saving throw.

Moment of Perfect Mind (read this then read it again)

if you're still worried

Iron Heart Surge (read this then read it again)

Both are maneuvers you can grab as a warblade. Forget your saving throws.

As good as the Diamond Mind save replacements are, you have to remember that you can only use each once before having to refresh. Going up against multiple casters or someone with access to multiple spells per round will mess you up. Even if you face one of each save per round, you'll be forced to refresh each round which means no maneuver usage.

FMArthur
2011-02-19, 11:55 PM
Also remember how small a number of maneuvers known a Warblade has...

But for general usage those maneuvers really are great.

Akal Saris
2011-02-20, 12:44 AM

Combat Expertise (lvl 1)
Exotic Weapon Prof Fullblade (human)
Dodge (flaw, Shaky)
Karmic Strike (flaw, Weak Will)
Power Attack (lvl 3)
Imp Bull Rush (lvl 5)
Shock Trooper (lvl 6)
Combat Reflexes (lvl 9)
Leap Attack (lvl 9)
Robilar's Gambit (lvl 12)
(lvl 13)
(lvl 15)
(lvl 17)
(lvl 18)

Then I'd fill up the last 4 with maybe Improved Sunder and some other things. As far as use of feats, is this good? Specifically, I don't know if there's something I should focus on trying to get immediately (right now I'm focusing on Karmic Strike and Shock Trooper ASAP).

Looks good to me. Extra Granted Maneuver is also nice. You might want Improved Toughness for some more HP, Improved Trip since you already have C. Expertise and it synergizes with Shock Trooper's bull rushing, and maybe Mobility+Elusive Target if your DM uses Power Attack a lot, especially after you do your Shock Trooper charge. Several DMs never remember to do that though.

Warlawk
2011-02-20, 04:37 AM
Extra Granted Maneuver is also nice.

Can't grab my book right this second, but I'm pretty sure that's for crusaders, not warblades.

Elric VIII
2011-02-20, 04:46 AM
Can't grab my book right this second, but I'm pretty sure that's for crusaders, not warblades.

You are correct, and Extra Readied Maneuver is Swordsage only.

DeltaEmil
2011-02-20, 06:21 AM
The feat that grants an extra maneuver for everybody is Martial Study, however, unlike Extra Granted Maneuver and Extra Readied Maneuver, it only adds them to the known list, not the readied list.

Aside from that, unless one plays at really high epic level or a class with only d4-hit dices, I'd say that Improved Toughness is actually not a good idea for warblades with their d12-hit dices.

Turk Mannion
2011-11-05, 11:17 PM

Imp Bull Rush (lvl 5)

Sorry if I am resurrecting a stale post, but I do not believe you can take Imp Bull Rush as your 5th level bonus feat. It is not on the list (pg.23)