PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited Out-Of-Combat Healing at level 1?

Angry Bob
2011-02-19, 06:28 PM
Does any exist? Because I feel like I'm going to need it. For myself only works, but really nice would be the rest of the party as well.

All I can think of at the moment is Dread Necro meets Tomb-Tainted soul. Anything that won't get me purged by fire?

Private-Prinny
2011-02-19, 06:31 PM
A Crusader with Martial Spirit and a weapon that deals 1 damage can get the job done. It takes a while, but you get there eventually.

randomhero00
2011-02-19, 06:51 PM
A Crusader with Martial Spirit and a weapon that deals 1 damage can get the job done. It takes a while, but you get there eventually.

Well that depends on if your DM allows you to hit things that don't have a CR like walls or mice. Which most don't so...

As far as I know there is no way to get unlimited healing at level one.

You can't take a reserve feat at that level, right?

Private-Prinny
2011-02-19, 06:55 PM
Well that depends on if your DM allows you to hit things that don't have a CR like walls or mice. Which most don't so...

Or you could stab your buddies, dealing 1 damage and healing 2.

And what do you mean there's no way? We've already covered two of them.

Ernir
2011-02-19, 06:59 PM

No need for mice. Each time you hit something with Martial Spirit, you can heal 2 points of damage. So if your weapon deals 1 point of damage, you can stab someone to full HP.

Not that it's going to fly with most DMs.

EDIT: Superninja'd.

Worira
2011-02-19, 07:01 PM
THOG AM BEST ACUPUNCTURIST!
thog must remember to use lowercase letters too

TheDarkDM
2011-02-19, 07:15 PM
Dead Necromancer with Tomb Tainted Soul has unlimited self-healing

*edit*
Whoops, missed complete OP. Nevermind.

Draz74
2011-02-19, 07:21 PM
Of course Dragon Shaman 1 with the Vigor aura can heal unlimited amounts of HP, but only up to half-normal HP. I think there's a Reserve Feat in Complete Mage that does the same for a divine caster with CLW prepared.

TurtleKing
2011-02-19, 07:29 PM
Touch of Healing from Complete Champion actually is not available until 2nd spell level casting, and it only works up to half health as well so long as you have a Conjuration (Healing) spell not cast of 2nd spell level or higher.

houlio
2011-02-19, 07:36 PM
You can sleep. I don't think there's a rule that limits how much or long you can sleep.

Douglas
2011-02-19, 07:44 PM
If your DM rules that touch spells are 'fixed range' and therefore eligible for Persist (debatable, ask your DM), there's DMM (Persist) on Lesser Vigor. With the right domains or some flaws you can get that at level 1.

Suichimo
2011-02-19, 08:37 PM
Depending on exactly how your DM rules it, any Tome of Battle character can pick up Vital Recovery at level 1. As long as you're considered to be refreshing your maneuvers that you use outside of combat, you can heal all day long.

sreservoir
2011-02-19, 08:51 PM
Touch of Healing from Complete Champion actually is not available until 2nd spell level casting, and it only works up to half health as well so long as you have a Conjuration (Healing) spell not cast of 2nd spell level or higher.

funny thing, that. cleric qualifies for versatile spellcaster (and this is probably the least cheesy unintended usage of that reading possible, too, since you want a spell which you can actually cast spontaneously), so if human or flaws, you can manage that.

if you work carefully with a 1 damage weapon, it can heal up to floor(max/2) + 3 * highest level spell - 1: 6 hp over less than half, which is enough to heal anything with 11 or fewer hp to full... which is basically everyone except a d12 or d10 with a good-sized con bonus.

mabriss lethe
2011-02-19, 09:02 PM
Clerics with healing devotion, Cha 14, and extra turning can, while not unlimited, easily have enough to give everyone in a 4 person party fast healing 1 for 10 rounds 2/day. At level 1, that can do wonders for conserving your resources. (it's also great for action economy purposes. Due to the wording of the feat, you don't just pop fast healing on them, you transfer the entire benefit of the feat. meaning that once transfered, the new recipient uses their actions to activate the fast healing when they need it or it auto pops when they drop below 0)

Binder 5 with Improved Binding and Tenebrous can turn this into unlimited healing.

Escheton
2011-02-19, 09:08 PM
Hire a lvl 3 cleric?

woodenbandman
2011-02-19, 09:10 PM
1 rank in heal skill.

sreservoir
2011-02-19, 09:22 PM
1 rank in heal skill.

does nothing.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-19, 09:23 PM
have everyone in the party use the Feral template

FMArthur
2011-02-19, 09:25 PM
have everyone in the party use the Feral template

Still ECL 2... and just a bad idea in general unless everyone wants to play a vicious beast.

AmberVael
2011-02-19, 09:33 PM
Here's a completely ridiculous one for you that likely WOULD get purged with fire (and quite likely in a literal manner).

Troll-Blooded feat, from Dragon Magazine.
Must be taken at level 1, requires the Toughness feat.

Benefit... Regeneration 1 (fire and acid weakness).

Zonugal
2011-02-19, 10:09 PM
With poison healer you can effectively have unlimited healing as long you carry a keg of beer with you.

Eclipse
2011-02-19, 10:17 PM
It probably won't fly, but if you're doing a Pathfinder/3.5 crossover, you could see if your GM will let you take Cure Minor Wounds as a 0 level spell instead of stabilize. Since 0 level spells can be cast infinitely if memorized in Pathfinder, you can then heal 1 hp every six seconds. This would be as a cleric/oracle obviously (or possibly Druid?).

Douglas
2011-02-19, 10:19 PM
With poison healer you can effectively have unlimited healing as long you carry a keg of beer with you.
No, no, that actually requires actions. The way to go with Poison Healer is to get a bunch of tiny vipers and stuff them down your pants. Granted, getting Steadfast Determination and a +9 fort save at level 1 in addition to Poison Healer might be a little hard to pull off, but if you get enough snakes you can end up with worthwhile unlimited in-combat healing too.

MammonAzrael
2011-02-19, 10:22 PM
Why do you think you'll need it? How much damage are you really expecting to take that you can't heal at night? At level 1 its a lot safer to just avoid taking damage; AC is your friend this early.

Also consider a Warforged and just repairing yourself in a lot of downtime.

FishAreWet
2011-02-19, 10:22 PM
Lesser Mechanatrix and Lightning Gauntlets/DFA or any other at will Electricity.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-19, 10:37 PM
Martial Spirit can be done with unarmed strikes for nonlethal damage. Every time you're healed for HP damage you're healed an equal amount of nonlethal damage, so as long as you're not doing more than 2 damage per punch they'll eventually heal to full. "Why do you make me do this to you? I'm only doing it because I love you!"

Maybe if the party pools their gold they can get a teddy bear that gives a Cure Minor Wounds every time you hug it (1,000 gp value). "Hug teddy, you'll feel better!"

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 12:59 AM
Also consider a Warforged and just repairing yourself in a lot of downtime.

Warforged Shaper ftw. 3d8 self-heal at 3rd level.

Zonugal
2011-02-20, 01:15 AM
With poison healer you can effectively have unlimited healing as long you carry a keg of beer with you.No, no, that actually requires actions. The way to go with Poison Healer is to get a bunch of tiny vipers and stuff them down your pants. Granted, getting Steadfast Determination and a +9 fort save at level 1 in addition to Poison Healer might be a little hard to pull off, but if you get enough snakes you can end up with worthwhile unlimited in-combat healing too.

Hey I would rather get healed by a refreshing bottle of Moradin Ale than have some vipers down below.

But that is just a personal thing.

Akal Saris
2011-02-20, 01:18 AM
You can sleep. I don't think there's a rule that limits how much or long you can sleep.

Its funny how sometimes we miss the little things :P

Coidzor
2011-02-20, 01:29 AM
Dread Necro meets Tomb-Tainted soul.

Why would that get you purged with fire?

MammonAzrael
2011-02-20, 01:40 AM
Why would that get you purged with fire?

Because villagers don't like witches, and he's only level one. :smallamused:

Coidzor
2011-02-20, 01:47 AM
Because villagers don't like witches, and he's only level one. :smallamused:

Except they can't know he's a witch unless he goes and does something that would be within the powers of any caster. :smalltongue:

Hironomus
2011-02-20, 01:53 AM

You sir just made my day with that suggestion.
Might I suggest also investing in one of those nifty healing bedrolls from the magic item compendium (I think).
Greatly increases your natural healing capabilities.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-20, 02:49 AM
Magic bedroll. Extra 1 hitpoint per level + normal benefits of sleeping per night or something life that. 500 gp i belive though, so it is out of the price range for a level 1 character. It's from magic item compendium.

MeeposFire
2011-02-20, 03:19 AM

Funny in 4e they made a restriction on extended rests just so you could not do that. Totally true in 3e though.

Kylarra
2011-02-20, 03:27 AM
One short rest followed by an extended is more than enough to bring you back to full though, so it's marginally irrelevant as far as healing goes anyway. The restriction was more for the replenishing of dailies, than any consideration of healing.

Fable Wright
2011-02-20, 03:31 AM
Draconic Aura (Dragon Magic), taking Vigor as your aura might work. It only goes up to 1/2 health, but it helps the entire party with healing, and requires no actions in combat.

MeeposFire
2011-02-20, 03:40 AM
One short rest followed by an extended is more than enough to bring you back to full though, so it's marginally irrelevant as far as healing goes anyway. The restriction was more for the replenishing of dailies, than any consideration of healing.

Why would you do a short rest if you were going to do an extended rest? Resting for healing is important as extended rests are what brings your healing surges back which is what you use to heal.

And the bringing back the daily powers is paramount generally in 3e too since that is the standard way of healing in 3e as well.

The fact you can essentially do one extended rest in a day helps alleviate the 15 minute work day.

Also DMofDarkness it is important to note that vigor is not a RAW option for an aura. The feat says you can choose any aura from that page and vigor is not one of them. Allowing vigor is a very good house rule that most to nearly all DMs probably use (probably unknowingly) but it should be stated that it is a house rule.

Sdonourg
2011-02-20, 05:20 AM
Mechanatrix + Shape Soulmeld (Lightning Gauntlets).

FMArthur
2011-02-20, 10:54 AM
Draconic Aura (Dragon Magic), taking Vigor as your aura might work. It only goes up to 1/2 health, but it helps the entire party with healing, and requires no actions in combat.

Even the burly damage-soaker classes would be in danger of being one-hit-killed by simple one-handed weapons (which I take as the norm for enemies at that level) if they ran around at half-HP. You really do need your full health to survive a dangerous encounter at first level. Also, this feat is for third level characters and doesn't give you the option of taking Dragon Shaman auras.

Kylarra
2011-02-20, 11:01 AM
Why would you do a short rest if you were going to do an extended rest? Resting for healing is important as extended rests are what brings your healing surges back which is what you use to heal.
Because I couldn't remember if Extended Rests automatically healed you to full (which they do now that I've checked) or if you were assumed to have just spent the surges sometime beforehand, so I was covering all my bases.

Ashtagon
2011-02-20, 11:07 AM
Funny in 4e they made a restriction on extended rests just so you could not do that. Totally true in 3e though.

Seriously? Have you got a page reference for that, because it totally breaks any pretence at common sense.

Kylarra
2011-02-20, 11:14 AM
Seriously? Have you got a page reference for that, because it totally breaks any pretence at common sense.You just can't gain the benefits of an extended rest until 12 hours after the end of your previous one. You can rest, just you won't regain dailies or surges (or hps without spending surges).

Rest and Recovery p 263 of PHB

OracleofWuffing
2011-02-20, 11:28 AM
Even the burly damage-soaker classes would be in danger of being one-hit-killed by simple one-handed weapons (which I take as the norm for enemies at that level) if they ran around at half-HP.
I'm very tempted to see how many times I can hit up toughness next time I have a level 1-only 3.5 game and see how viable this could be in practice. :smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2011-02-20, 12:01 PM
Mechanatrix + Shape Soulmeld (Lightning Gauntlets).

What happens if you can't hit your own touch AC?

sreservoir
2011-02-20, 12:14 PM

then you deserve to die, duh!

MeeposFire
2011-02-20, 06:46 PM
You just can't gain the benefits of an extended rest until 12 hours after the end of your previous one. You can rest, just you won't regain dailies or surges (or hps without spending surges).

Rest and Recovery p 263 of PHB

Thank you, you are quite correct.

It is sort of like if you were to sleep for 8 hours one day and then you went to work for 1 hour and then tried to go a sleep again. In most cases you just will not rest and you certainly will not get much out of it. But the biggest reason for this rule was to help mitigate the 15 minute work day. In 3.5 it was a common complaint by DMs that players would fight a battle, use all their spells, and then rest to get them back. Those discussions usually turn into methods on how DMs can control that though in the end you will find that due to spells there are more legit ways to constantly rest to bring back spells than there are legit (as in non-heavy handed methods like "you can't because I said so") ways of countering the constant resting.

Endarire
2011-02-20, 08:18 PM
Take the touch of health power (Complete Psionic 104) and get a PP recharge method, such as Azure Talent + Psycarnum Infusion.

Coidzor
2011-02-20, 08:46 PM

Out of combat and at level 1? With the fact that you have a 5% base chance of hitting regardless? I just don't see it as possible.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 09:13 PM

Voluntarily get hit, just like voluntarily failing a saving throw.

"Fireball flying right at you!"

"I stand in one spot!"

mikau013
2011-02-22, 11:23 AM
<snip>
Also DMofDarkness it is important to note that vigor is not a RAW option for an aura. The feat says you can choose any aura from that page and vigor is not one of them. Allowing vigor is a very good house rule that most to nearly all DMs probably use (probably unknowingly) but it should be stated that it is a house rule.

If that is true :
it says a draconic aura and refers to the page in that book between brackets.

Does that mean that feats can only be selected from the phb since my phb says all feats are listed at a page in the phb too?

Elana
2011-02-22, 11:39 AM
If that is true :
it says a draconic aura and refers to the page in that book between brackets.

Does that mean that feats can only be selected from the phb since my phb says all feats are listed at a page in the phb too?

Obviously.
Everything that contradicts anything in the PHB is not official D&D.
(Probably a sad thing that that this means that lot of WotC so called D&D products are not really for this game)

Whammydill
2011-02-22, 02:16 PM
Isn't there a harp or some intrument that when used with bardic music grants fast healing? Just keep playing all day long.

Darth Stabber
2011-02-22, 05:14 PM
Maybe if the party pools their gold they can get a teddy bear that gives a Cure Minor Wounds every time you hug it (1,000 gp value). "Hug teddy, you'll feel better!"

Love this one. Want to craft a inflict minor version (teddy bad touch)

Cheesy Crusader acupunture. Firm support as a player, would not allow as a GM

Beer, for Healing? I am intrigued

No, no, that actually requires actions. The way to go with Poison Healer is to get a bunch of tiny vipers and stuff them down your pants. Granted, getting Steadfast Determination and a +9 fort save at level 1 in addition to Poison Healer might be a little hard to pull off, but if you get enough snakes you can end up with worthwhile unlimited in-combat healing too.

Yes, love.

Plus the uses for angry snakes that smell like crotch sweat are limited only by your imagination.

Also, this feat means I am one step closer to converting my pokemong to D&D (1/2 of Breloom, I just need a half mushroom template)

And numerous people have mentioned the dread necro/tomb tainted soul combo, but the real key is to get the whole party to take it.