PDA

View Full Version : Four-armed Races

B1okHead
2011-02-19, 10:56 PM
How do races with more than one pair of arms work? For example could a thri-keen dual wield greatswords? Or use all four arms on one greatsword?

awa
2011-02-19, 10:58 PM
yes a trikreen could duel wield great swords, if it uses a great sword in 4 hands it would deal strength damage x2.5

B1okHead
2011-02-19, 11:00 PM
Nice, thanks.

starwoof
2011-02-19, 11:01 PM
While dual wielding greatswords the thri-kreen would add his normal strength bonus to his off hands as well.

I once played in a party that had a thri-kreen monkey gripping two goliath greathammers. It was glorious.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 12:47 AM
While dual wielding greatswords the thri-kreen would add his normal strength bonus to his off hands as well.

I once played in a party that had a thri-kreen monkey gripping two goliath greathammers. It was glorious.

I want to see that... I don't like such high LA/racial HD races, though. Granted, I've never actually played one, it just feels to me like that much of a setback would make one underpowered unless EVERYBODY was doing something similar.

starwoof
2011-02-20, 12:57 AM
I want to see that... I don't like such high LA/racial HD races, though. Granted, I've never actually played one, it just feels to me like that much of a setback would make one underpowered unless EVERYBODY was doing something similar.

I think it was worth it in this case. Large greathammers do 3d6 damage with a x4 crit which is... kinda nuts when you have two of them. We were sorta high level so he had greater two weapon fighting. He made a lot of attacks. He also had the pounce ability from lion totem barbarian in Complete Champion. His big flaming shock hammers really tore stuff to pieces.

The biggest thing he killed himself was a great wyrm black dragon zombie. We just kept all the adds off him while he went to town on it. I think I hit it once with a 60ish damage eldritch blast but that damage was completely inconsequential next to his. I wish we had played those characters for more than one session so I could have watched him murderize more stuff.

I like thri-kreen.

Prime32
2011-02-20, 07:06 AM
You need two hands for a two-handed weapon. If you have more than two hands that still applies.

Savage Species has rules on weapons constructed for use with more than two hands - each additional hand adds +.5x Str modifier. For instance, wielding a greatsword with five hands would let you add 3x your Str modifier in damage.

Note also the Revenant Blade PrC (some Eberron splat), which lets you treat both ends of a double scimitar as two-handed weapons.

And the diopsid race from Dragon Compendium, which has a set of "secondary arms" which cannot be used to attack but let it dual-wield two-handed weapons.

FMArthur
2011-02-20, 10:41 AM
Diopsids are really cool but their 'TWF with two-handed weapons' style really sucks because they explicitly still take penalties for TWFing with non-light weapon in the off-hand. You can however take Oversized TWF to dual-wield one-handed weapons, gaining the full benefits of Two-Weapon Fighting and wielding a weapon in two hands (ie strength bonus and Power Attack).

Those one-handed weapons can also be Large because they are allowed to wield weapons one size category larger than normal when supporting it with the lower arms; this effectively lets you deal greatsword damage with one-handed weapons, nullifying your limitation. They also ignore the Dex prerequisite of TWF feats, which is very nice. The beetle people are a very cool LA +1 race.

Aurenthal
2011-02-20, 02:21 PM
Do 4 armed races can wield 2 pairs of gloves?? what about 4 rings?? and bracers??

Prime32
2011-02-20, 02:57 PM
Do 4 armed races can wield 2 pairs of gloves?? what about 4 rings?? and bracers??In a word, no. It's sometimes implied that creatures with the wrong body shape to wear certain items (beholders + shirts = ?) get extra slots to make up for it though, so ask your DM if you can convert some of your other body slots into ones on your arms.

Traveler
2011-02-21, 12:36 AM
So say I wanted to make a four armed character that wielded two greatswords, what penalties would it have?
Wielding dual long swords has a -6/-10. With TWF it's down to -4/-4.

mobdrazhar
2011-02-21, 06:42 PM
quick q... would they be able to PA whist TWFing Greatswords?

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 06:43 PM
quick q... would they be able to PA whist TWFing Greatswords?

Yes. You can PA while TWFing anything.