PDA

View Full Version : Artificer with Permanency

Tyger
2011-02-19, 11:56 PM
I am building a 10th level artificer to replace my bard who is leaving our group, and what a challenge! Whew! I had no idea there were so darned many spells in this game. :smallbiggrin:

Quick opinion poll from the Playgrounders, is it worthwhile to have said character expend the resources to craft scrolls of Permanency to grant himself a couple of permanent magical effects? I am thinking, in particular Read Magic and Detect Magic. They seem thematically appropriate, and relatively useful.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Of course, a continuous or use activated item of either of those spells is a whopping 1,000 GP base price, which means for the price of the items, it would almost be cheaper in GP (and far cheaper in XP) to craft the two spells into a pair of googles than it would be to create the Permanency scrolls. Not to mention, the item would not be nearly as subject to Dispel Magic as the Permanencied spells. Forget this question, I am daft beyond belief.

Marnath
2011-02-19, 11:58 PM
Doesn't the artificer's monocle already provide free detect magic, or is that only identify?

Tyger
2011-02-20, 12:02 AM
Nope, the monocle does not detect magic for you, just allows you to identify for free, providing certain conditions are met.

Jack_Simth
2011-02-20, 12:15 AM
EDIT: Of course, a continuous or use activated item of either of those spells is a whopping 1,000 GP base price,
Everyone always forgets that pesky duration factor portion down at the bottom of the table....

which means for the price of the items, it would almost be cheaper in GP (and far cheaper in XP) to craft the two spells into a pair of googles than it would be to create the Permanency scrolls. Not to mention, the item would not be nearly as subject to Dispel Magic as the Permanencied spells. Forget this question, I am daft beyond belief.
If you're permitted custom items with the estimating tables as written, then no, Permanency usually isn't worthwhile. If you're not permitted custom items, it often is.