PDA

View Full Version : Modified Ascetic Feats

Gan The Grey
2011-02-20, 02:06 AM
I posted this yesterday in the Homebrew section, but got very little love from the playground, so I posted it over here as well. I thought it would be interesting to modify a few of the Ascetic feats in order to represent non-standard monks from the three monk schools in my E6 campaign setting. A little info, spoilered for length:

Three Schools
School of the Cobra Strike style
Monks of the Cobra Strike School specialize in agility and defense. By making himself hard to pin down, the Cobra Strike monk forces the enemy to fight on his terms.

1st Level Skill Bonus – +2 Acrobatics
1st Level Bonus Feat – Dodge
2nd Level Bonus Feat – Mobility
6th Level Bonus Feat – Spring Attack
6th Level Bonus Ability – The dodge bonus granted from your Dodge feat increases to +2.
Prerequisites – Acrobatics 4 ranks, Escape Artist 9 ranks.

School of the Sleeping Tiger style
The Sleeping Tiger style mixes smooth motions with powerful strikes. It favors a quick, first strike approach, preferably from a position of ambush.

1st Level Skill Bonus – +2 Stealth
1st Level Bonus Feat – Improved Initiative
2nd Level Bonus Feat – Stunning Fist
6th Level Bonus Feat – Pounce (Flurry at end of charge, 1 per encounter)
6th Level Bonus Ability – Once per round, when an opponent would be denied his Dexterity bonus to Armor Class, the monk deals an extra 1d6 points of damage with a melee attack made with a light weapon(including unarmed). Any creature immune to sneak attacks is immune to this ability.
Prerequisites – Stealth 9 ranks, Perception 4 ranks.

School of the Undying Way style
Monks of the Undying Way believe in patience above all else. They work to outlast their opponents by means of superior endurance.

1st Level Skill Bonus – +2 Concentration.
1st Level Bonus Feat – Great Fortitude
2nd Level Bonus Feat – Toughness
6th Level Bonus Feat – Diehard
6th Level Bonus Ability – When fighting defensively, using Combat Expertise, or using the total defense action, the monk gains damage reduction 2/-.
Prerequisites – Concentration 9 ranks.

These schools can be found in the Unearthed Arcana, although I've modified their progression a bit. In addition, I know the Undying Way style looks a little lackluster, but I've actually modified every single one of those feats to act differently(i.e. better) in my setting. In addition, each school has school secrets that only those who trained in those schools qualify for.

Alright, now that that's out of the way, I wanted each of these schools to have a secondary progression within the school that would represent a different class of warriors, with each school having a unique spin.

Sleeping Tiger - Monk + Rogue = Ninja-type
Cobra Strike - Monk + Ranger = Archer-type Monkish guy dude thing...
Undying Way - Monk + Fighter = Samurai-type

Without further ado, here are my modified feats.

Ascetic Hunter: Prereq – Monk Level 1, Ranger Level 1, School of Cobra Strike.
Benefit: A character’s Monk and Ranger levels stack for determining movement speed and unarmed strike damage. Also, each time the monk’s unarmed strike damage increases, so too does the damage of a bow(short or long, composite or normal) wielded by him increase by one step.
Special: This feat may be taken at second level. However, a character must give up a class feature from either monk or ranger to do so. This feat must either replace the first level bonus monk feat, or be taken in place of Track for rangers.

Ascetic Rogue: Prereq – Monk Level 1, Rogue Level 1, School of Sleeping Tiger.
Benefit: A character’s Monk and Rogue levels stack for determining Flurry of Blows and unarmed strike damage progression. Also, for the purposes of sneak attack damage progression, every two Monk levels are treated as one Rogue level.
Special: This feat may be taken at second level. However, a character must give up a class feature from either Monk or Rogue to do so. This feat must either replace the first level bonus Monk feat, or be taken in place of Trapfinding for Rogues.

Ascetic Warrior: Prereq – Monk Level 1, Fighter Level 1, School of Undying Way.
Benefit: A character’s Monk and Fighter levels stack for determining Fighter level for the purpose of qualifying for feats. In addition, each Monk level taken is treated as if it has a ‘good’ base attack bonus progression. Finally, Ascetic Warriors in light armor retain the use of all monk class skills, while Ascetic Warriors in medium armor only lose their wisdom bonus to ac. Using a shield of any kind still nullifies Monk class skills.
Special: This feat may be taken at second level. However, a character must give up a class feature from either Monk or Fighter to do so. This feat must either replace the first level bonus Monk feat, or be taken as the first level Fighter bonus feat.

Alright, what do you think? Keep in mind, this is E6.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-20, 10:13 AM
I like Ascetic Warrior/Hunter, but why the school requirement?