PDA

View Full Version : Learning Elvish

AslanCross
2011-02-20, 02:09 AM
I'm looking into learning Quenya and/or Sindarin after the school year ends--something to pass the time during vacation. I've tried it before, but I'd like to explore more resources. Does anyone have a good reliable resource for learning either of the two?

grimbold
2011-02-20, 05:41 AM
they are both pretty fun to learn, however you are gunna want to keep up your knowledge
i used to speak both well, but then school came and i did not revise my quenya or sindar and i failed :smallfrown:

Xuc Xac
2011-02-20, 07:01 AM
You can't actually have a conversation in the elvish languages because Tolkien never completed them. They are just a long list of names and phrases and a couple pieces of grammar. The lexis is very incomplete.

If you really want to learn a language and you like the sound of the elvish languages, then learn Finnish. It provided the basis for a lot of the character of the elvish languages. Also, there are a lot of cool gamers in Finland so you can use it to engage your other geeky interests. And you can put Finnish on a resumé.

Eldan
2011-02-20, 09:53 AM
The closest thing would be various fan sites on the net, where people "finished" the language on their own.

LordOMud
2011-02-20, 11:50 AM
Like others said, the language is incomplete, but there are many conlangs out there that are complete. Maybe you could learn klingon