PDA

View Full Version : What are good feats for a Duskblade? (3.5)

ThirdEmperor
2011-02-20, 02:15 AM
So, the thread title says it all. I need good feat choices for a 2nd level duskblade, 1st level commoner. Preferably stuff that adds damage, or gives extra versatility to my spell list.

Not looking for outright broken-ness as much as cool tricks and usefull abilities.

dextercorvia
2011-02-20, 02:18 AM
Knowledge Devotion, Power Attack, Obtain Familiar, Arcane Strike

Shyftir
2011-02-20, 02:37 AM
Battle-Caster from Complete Arcane would allow you to wear heavier armor.
Combat Expertise would open the way for some of the better melee tricks like tripping.

Eschew Materials if your DM is the type to call you on not having components for your spells.

Suichimo
2011-02-20, 02:45 AM
Battle-Caster from Complete Arcane would allow you to wear heavier armor.
Combat Expertise would open the way for some of the better melee tricks like tripping.

Eschew Materials if your DM is the type to call you on not having components for your spells.

In the same vein, Somatic Weaponry if your DM says that you can't take a hand off of a two handed weapon to use for gestures.

I like Arcane Disciple, even if you don't get the full benefit.

Amnestic
2011-02-20, 03:38 AM
In the same vein, Somatic Weaponry if your DM says that you can't take a hand off of a two handed weapon to use for gestures..

Wizards offered a ruling on this:

"Although the rules don't mention it, letting go of a two-handed weapon with one hand or putting a free hand back on the weapon is a free action for you."

(Source) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041102a)

Saves you convincing your DM if you have the URL on hand :smallsmile:

Thread in General: Duskblade Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0) has some decent feat suggestions, though a number of them have already been made here.

Gnome Alone
2011-02-20, 11:27 AM
Knowledge Devotion, Power Attack, Obtain Familiar, Arcane Strike

I'm playing a duskblade, and I have all of these (not that they're all possible on a second level one, like the OP asked about, but I digress) except Arcane Strike. (I picked Improved Familiar instead.) I really don't get what's so great about Arcane Strike - sure, I could burn up spells to do even more damage than two-handed power attack + channeled Shocking Grasp does already, but that's that many less Rays of Enfeeblement and Animalistic Powers and so on that I can fire off. I mean, it's not a bad choice, but it seems like some folks think it's a requirement. What gives?

(Side note: I hope I don't seem snotty about it, I really just don't understand why it's held in such high esteem.)

true_shinken
2011-02-20, 11:49 AM
I like Arcane Disciple, even if you don't get the full benefit.
Arcane Disciple usually sucks for other spontaneous arcane casters, but Duskblades have a small spell list and actually get a fair share of spells known. The only downside is needing Wisdom 15 to get full benefit, but even then it's better than it for a Wizard, who needs Wisdom 19 or for a Sorcerer, who needs both Wisdom 19 and spending his precious few spells known.