PDA

View Full Version : Rift - New MMO

Dakcenturi
2011-02-20, 08:34 AM
Hello all. I searched the forums and was surprised not to see a thread about Rift and those interested in playing. Head start is next week with the game release date Mar. 1st

In any case it appears to be a pretty promising MMO taking the good from a lot of the other ones out there and bringing a few new interesting pieces, specifically rifts.

Here is the site: http://www.riftgame.com/

Anyone planning on getting this and playing?

psilontech
2011-02-20, 04:00 PM
Looks like it's just yet another WoW clone.
For the love of God, the commercials announce that 'You're not in Azeroth anymore!'

I predict it bombs and shuts down within a year.

Dead_Jester
2011-02-20, 04:08 PM
I played in the beta, and it's pretty fun. The leveling is much better than in WoW, the world pve is pretty fun, and the class system is great. They managed to put multiclassing (albeit, within an archetype) in an MMO without making it imbalanced or without making single classing obselete.

Dakcenturi
2011-02-20, 04:22 PM
Looks like it's just yet another WoW clone.
For the love of God, the commercials announce that 'You're not in Azeroth anymore!'

Addressing your concern an article by Massively: Enter At Your Own Rift: Dispelling the WoWhammer myth (http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/09/enter-at-your-own-rift-dispelling-the-wowhammer-myth/)

@Dead_Jester
I agree. I've played in the betas since beta 5 and think it is pretty cool, for many of the same reasons you noted.

I especially love the rifts when you get a little higher level and they are more dynamic. The way everyone just jumps in and starts working together is great and if it's an invasion it just gets better. In either case it is a great way to get introduced to other players.

They are having an open beta now until 10:00 AM PST (18:00 GMT) on Monday, Feb. 21 2011. So if people are interested this is your chance to check it out.

Fredaintdead
2011-02-20, 04:39 PM
I've played the Beta (mainly played a Warrior: Beastmaster/Riftblade/Paragon), and to be honest, while I do see similarities between this and WoW, I like Rift perhaps a bit more, simply because of the whole massive customisation bit it has.
I do hope that it can become as successful as WoW, and if not, that it at least survives. I'd like to continue playing (although not alongside WoW unless the game goes f2p).

Terry576
2011-02-20, 05:04 PM
Rift is a pretty amazing game, and the first one I'd actually pay money for. It looks good, it plays good, its got some amazing playstyles.

And customization. So much customization.

mangosta71
2011-02-21, 12:41 AM
The friends that got me into WoW talked me into giving this one a try. The beta is remarkably stable. The instant group thing for outdoor PvE content is an awesome innovation. And yes, the customization is wonderful. Not just the classes - I love that I don't have to install half a dozen mods to get my UI just the way I want it.

Innis Cabal
2011-02-21, 12:51 AM
I hear it's good but honestly, I've heard more then one MMO was going to be the "WoW killer". But quite frankly with 12 million subscribes...I find it unlikely. Will it survive? Well...Conan Online survived.

Ashtar
2011-02-21, 02:32 PM
We're being astroturfed by sock puppet Dakcenturi, who is an account created to only promote the game (2 posts, only for the game). Now that does't reflect really well on the game. But anyway.

Apart from that, the MMO looks interesting. Again, I need to see what kind of community and what Rifts can deliver as gameplay before I commit. Haven't played it yet.

Dakcenturi
2011-02-21, 02:39 PM
Actually I was a member a long time ago, but hadn't posted in a long time. When I came to post about this either I don't remember my old login or it was removed.

:)

mightymonarch
2011-02-21, 06:24 PM
Speaking of which, I have a claim code for the hat you get from TF2 that I haven't used. I have no desire to play this game, so whoever PM's me first can have it.

TedEBearNC
2011-02-23, 02:37 AM
I played in the beta and enjoyed it a lot. I'm downloading the client right now for the head start beginning Thursday.

Here's a good video about the endgame content: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/19/rifts-endgame-detailed-in-18-minute-video/

SparkMandriller
2011-02-23, 03:47 AM
Actually I was a member a long time ago, but hadn't posted in a long time. When I came to post about this either I don't remember my old login or it was removed.

:)

Why would you come back to a forum you can't even remember your username for just to talk about some MMO?

Dakcenturi
2011-02-23, 08:35 AM
Perhaps I thought that the community may be interested as it is in the fantasy genre and looks to be promising. Just sharing the wealth.