PDA

View Full Version : [DND] Deadlock

huyche
2011-02-20, 11:18 AM
Hello, everyone.

I'm facing a tough case here, lacking knowledge on how to resolve it.

Now, I am prepared that the following words might antagonize the reader, but its just my subjective opinion formed of spending a lot of time digging through the various DND books. Please, you are more than welcome to prove me wrong.

I believe it wouldn't be a long stretch to say that the majority of melee classes in 3.5 are absolutely pitiful without dipping into a conglomeration of (prestige) classes and/or cheesing. Excluding the ToB and hybrid-caster classes for obvious reasons.
Aside from several gimmick class features, the lack of interesting and varied abilities/feats/maneuvers for melee combat doesn't help the situation. Not to forget the awful things like dodge and mobility.
'I rage and power attack'
There is a reason why 90% of DND characters rolled at, for example, PBP forum are of the top 3(4) tier (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5256.0) classes majorly. Sure, there are issues of 'core-only' or unique snowflakes, but the latter is rare and usually augmented by homebrews and/or ridiculous templates and CLs.

Now, getting into the specifics.

Say, I wanted to play a monk? But its a dreadfully designed class, suffering from problems too long to list. I don't think it'd be worth going through the list of his class features to prove the point.
(No, its not just a simple 'monks suck' whine)
To most people, the monk is simply a fighting character whose whole body serves as a weapon. But a well-played monk also adds a touch of the exotic and the mysterious to a campaign. In addition, the monk is among the most versatile characters in the game and can fill a variety of roles in an adventuring party. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20050310a)
The monk's wide range of abilities makes her an effective combatant against all sorts of foes.

Obviously, there is none of it.
There is nothing to them like martial arts styles (apart from 4 feats from class variants, replacing the regular ones), no maneuvers for them, no stances, all they do is miss with flurry or use stunning fist. Can't even put to good use the bonus feats they gain, with which they are supposed to excel (special attacks).

Were I to decide to play to a mystical martial artist type, what choice do I have?
An unarmed swordsage? A sacred fist build? A war-shaper? Psionic thingie? So, not a single build that would take more than 6 levels of monk (usually even half of it at best).

What else can I do? Resort to playing the ToB classes, use homebrew monk revisions (I looked into them already, doubtfully many GMs would allow them) or find a RP system with thought-out, varied and dynamic combat?

Suggestions?

Please understand, this is not meant as rant, but a cry for help, I ran out of options and am desperate to do something about it, to get to actual playing that I'd find enjoyable.

PS: I really liked the PrC from CW - Drunken Master, but it a unique case and just doesn't fit the current concept I have, plus this doesn't help the base monk class.

Yora
2011-02-20, 11:22 AM
Well, what do you want?

Do you want a character that fills the role of the archetypal Kung Fu Monk, or do you want a character that uses the monk class and can still contribute to the group?

dsmiles
2011-02-20, 11:25 AM
Play in a group with a lower level of optimization. My group, for instance, rarely optimizes beyond setting their highest rolls as their primary ability scores.

huyche
2011-02-20, 11:29 AM
Well, what do you want?

Do you want a character that fills the role of the archetypal Kung Fu Monk, or do you want a character that uses the monk class and can still contribute to the group?
Do both choices mean dipping into the first 1-3 levels of monk?

Ideally, something that would contribute to 'monk feel' progression, as was intended but not incorporated properly into the class.

The main issues I couldn't overcome were the class' MADness, semi-uselessness to the party and strong lack of feats slots. I could homebrew some, pick several melee combat feats that are not terrible and get the martial thing feats from ToB.

Edit:

Play in a group with a lower level of optimization. My group, for instance, rarely optimizes beyond setting their highest rolls as their primary ability scores.
Its not a case of optimization. Its simply not interesting just to flurry and stun :( Or be the spot/sense motive bot outside of combat.
No great RP will replace the obvious lack of in-mechanic options.

Roog
2011-02-20, 01:42 PM
Take a look at the Tome Monk (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Monk,_Tome_(3.5e_Class)).

It seems to be reasonably popular way to power up monks.

huyche
2011-02-20, 02:11 PM
Take a look at the Tome Monk (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Monk,_Tome_(3.5e_Class)).

It seems to be reasonably popular way to power up monks.

Thanks, this is rather interesting and not OP at all. I'll look into it.