PDA

View Full Version : Help with a NPC Idea

Greenskin
2011-02-20, 12:14 PM
I am writing an adventure where I am going to have a spell caster of some sort bring in daemonic minions. Is there a spell that dose this besides gate an summon monster? I was thinking of making a spell that functions like animate dead ( he could bring in a number of demons in from the abyss based on their hd for a long term force.)
Has anyone ever tried that or should I just go with "The DM says he controls demons" move.

dsmiles
2011-02-20, 12:18 PM
There's the Summon Dretch Horde spell in BoVD. But it only summons Dretches.

slaydemons
2011-02-20, 12:20 PM
I think everyone seems to forget this but you can make spells its in the dmg if you have it but if you do it that way then your party wizard might get that spell.

but I do not think there is a spell like that

edit:correct'd as I was wrong about what i said

Starbuck_II
2011-02-20, 12:20 PM
There's the Summon Dretch Horde spell in BoVD. But it only summons Dretches.

Planar binding? But it would have to be cast off screen.

Greenskin
2011-02-20, 12:30 PM
I really don't have to worry about the party wizard getting the spell as the party doesn't have one.... we are a special group :smallbiggrin:
I think I will work with the call dretch horde works mechanically and fluff wise to tie in some plot points. Thanks for the help, still open to other suggestions though.

dsmiles
2011-02-20, 12:35 PM
Planar binding? But it would have to be cast off screen.
Yeah, I imagine that Planar Binding could do it, but it would have to be done off-screen. That's why I like Summon Monster. You can summon a bunch of lower level monsters in the same amount of time it would take to summon 1 higher level monster. Also, IIRC, there's a Call Lemure Horde, in addition to the aforementioned Call Dretch Horde.

Greenskin
2011-02-20, 12:36 PM
I know a summoned creature can not summon more it self but could a called creature do so? I looked but couldn't find anything saying yes or no.

Cogidubnus
2011-02-20, 01:21 PM
The Create Undead spell in Spell Compendium? Direct port of Summon Monster, but for undead. So making a spell that'll summon demons wouldn't be too risque.