PDA

View Full Version : Categories of the Craft Skill

Elric VIII
2011-02-20, 12:38 PM
Is there any official list of the different varieties of the Craft skill?

There are a few listed in PHB, but some of the sample items also have "varies" as their entry for the required craft type.

I know it is reasonable to just use logic and realism in determining what it takes to craft certain items, but I would very much like a list for inspiration.

Thank you.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 12:48 PM
I kind of doubt there IS a complete list, as there are so many things to craft. Poison, alchemy, weaponsmith, armoursmith, carpenter, sculptor, painter, musical instrument maker (do they have a name?), do I need to go on? If a character wants to do it, make a Craft skill for it.

Cogidubnus
2011-02-20, 12:53 PM
Craft: Obedient Sentient Lifeform. DC to build a baby is 15. So you can, in 20 years, build an army.

You can do anything, subject to DM approval. Craft: Fortifications is a genuinely useful one in some campaigns. Need to protect your campsite? Now you can!

Elric VIII
2011-02-20, 01:23 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. This is mainly for a spy-like character that uses minor creation (and similar spells) to create tools and items that are useful.

Craft: Obedient Sentient Lifeform. DC to build a baby is 15. So you can, in 20 years, build an army.
I think this also requires Leadership and many followers of the opposite gender.

Does Craft (Infiltrator) or Craft (Commando) sound reasonable for something that encompases making lockpicks, ladder, bridges, ropes, camo, etc?

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 01:28 PM
Ladders = carpentry
Lockpicks = metalsmithing of some kind.
Bridges... No, just no. it would take forever for a PC to craft a bridge of any kind without using magic.
I assume you mean facial make-up kind of camouflage. Not really sure for this one

Also, "Infiltrator" and "Commando" sound more like Professions than anything else. Definitely not Craft skills.

Would it really be so hard for him to just buy half this ****? It's in the PHB, and inexpensive.

Asheram
2011-02-20, 01:30 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. This is mainly for a spy-like character that uses minor creation (and similar spells) to create tools and items that are useful.

What you need is some Shapesand from the Sandstorm book.

Elric VIII
2011-02-20, 01:43 PM
Ladders = carpentry
Lockpicks = metalsmithing of some kind.
Bridges... No, just no. it would take forever for a PC to craft a bridge of any kind without using magic.
I assume you mean facial make-up kind of camouflage. Not really sure for this one

Also, "Infiltrator" and "Commando" sound more like Professions than anything else. Definitely not Craft skills.

Would it really be so hard for him to just buy half this ****? It's in the PHB, and inexpensive.

Well, when trying to infiltrate a royal castle during a festivel or other social event, it pays to not have incriminating evidence on your person. I'm doing this as an exercise in RP and lower power, since I almost always play the Wizard or Cleric that tells the fundamental laws of the univers to sit down and shut up. With a few less CL and some attempt at humility, I hope to play a different type of game than usual. I just like to have clear rules and boundaries by which I may guage my actions.

RndmNumGen
2011-02-20, 01:45 PM
Does Craft (Infiltrator) or Craft (Commando) sound reasonable for something that encompases making lockpicks, ladder, bridges, ropes, camo, etc?

Not really. You could make an untrained craft check for all of those(just 1d20+INT modifier) or you could do something like Craft(Makeshift Tools), which lets you craft anything you want but since they're makeshift they all give a -2 penalty to checks and can't be masterwork; thus the items you make will be less useful if you simply had the right tool on hand, but you will always have a tool if you need one.

That's how I would rule it anyway. Otherwise you would need ranks in Craft(Rope), Craft(Carpentry), Craft(Blacksmithing), Craft(Disguise), and so on for every single type of item you would want to make.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 01:49 PM
Well, when trying to infiltrate a royal castle during a festivel or other social event, it pays to not have incriminating evidence on your person. I'm doing this as an exercise in RP and lower power, since I almost always play the Wizard or Cleric that tells the fundamental laws of the univers to sit down and shut up. With a few less CL and some attempt at humility, I hope to play a different type of game than usual. I just like to have clear rules and boundaries by which I may guage my actions.

Hewards Handy Haversack much?