PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help with character concept and sheet!

Fenryr
2011-02-20, 03:16 PM
Hello! Because we're running in the Tomb of Horrors, I assume my actual character, a Lesser Tiefling Scout, is gonna die soon or later (I hope later, of course!). I want to have a back up character just in case I die too soon in the session. Therefore avoiding character making in middle of the session and distracting the DM.

The idea is of a badass elf, mercenary and rude but also jack of all trades. But he's also the leader of a small batallion (of the Red Gauntlet Regiment, Eberron).

Information: Elf, Level 10, 28 points, wealth of a NPC of that level.

The original idea was spell less Ranger, Factotum and Marshall. But that's too much MAD because he's gonna TWF with axe and spiked shield. Even with Finesse he still needs Int, Cha, Dex and Con. And having 12 Cha and 12 Int doesn't feel quite good.

Second idea would be only spell less Ranger/Factotum, dumping the idea of being a natural born leader but still being badass jack of all trades. Would now need Dex, Con, Int and the rest to Str.

Third idea, here is where the forums comes to the rescue! :smallredface:

Notes: All material aviable, including Dragon Magazine stuff if the DM allows it.

Personal note: why no ToB? The party is not optimized. There's no need to go for stances and stuff.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-20, 04:36 PM
So your criteria are:
*Elf
*Badass
*Jack of all trades
*TWF with axe and spiked shield.

First off, any reason for that weapon choice? It's a bit odd. Using a Glaive and tripping would work well (especially with Factotum 3). TWF would work well if you have enough Sneak Attack, but given the composition of the Tomb of Horrors you don't really want to rely on Sneak Attack.

If you're willing to use ToB, Factotum 8/ Warblade 2 would be very solid.

Rogue 3/ Swashbuckler 7 with Penetrating Strike and Daring Outlaw is perfectly workable.

If you're willing to use psionics, Elocater could work well; its BAB, manifester progression, and class features are meh, but it has a good skill list and its 2nd-level ability lets you permanently hover off the ground, which is rather nice in the Tomb of Horrors. Psychic rogue 4 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b)/ Elocater 6 would be fine.

Fenryr
2011-02-20, 05:53 PM
Thanks for reading and posting.

The weapon choice is odd, I know but I like it that way. The Rogue/Swashbuckler is a nice idea, gonna explore it.

Andion Isurand
2011-02-20, 06:05 PM
It might help to stick with a class that provides shield proficiency.

Ranger would net you that, along with TWF at 2nd level.

You could go for the elven ranger substituion @ first level (RotW) for additional skill points and combine that with the Arcane Hunter ACF (Complete Mage) to pick arcanists as your first favored enemy.