PDA

View Full Version : creating a playable undead beatstick

mabriss lethe
2011-02-20, 03:35 PM
I've always liked Wights. They're fun. Unfortunately, I've not had a whole lot of luck creating one that's playable at later levels. Those monster levels kick the idea of competent casting right out the window and undead dice leave you with utter crap for an attack bonus. Then I had a brilliant idea.

What about an unarmed Crusader?
Delayed damage pool and the ability to heal in combat, combined with energy draining slams used to deliver maneuvers (you can only get one hit in with a natural weapon anyway, might as well make it count?)

an 8 level monster class, due to wonkiness, should give +4 IL to the wight (making up at least a little for their 4 missing HD), but there may be something there I'm missing.

So, has anyone played anything like this or given similar builds any consideration?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-20, 03:46 PM
Why not make a Necropolitan Crusader 5/ Soul Eater 2/ Crusader, and just call it a Wight? It gets an Energy Drain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels) attack just like a Wight gets, anything slain by negative levels will rise as a Wight as per the special ability's general description, and you don't have to take racial HD or level adjustment.

sonofzeal
2011-02-20, 03:54 PM
Yeah, Necropolitan is definitely the way to go for undead PCs. Gravetouched Ghoul is also possible, but again hurts.

mabriss lethe
2011-02-20, 04:22 PM
Why not make a Necropolitan Crusader 5/ Soul Eater 2/ Crusader, and just call it a Wight? It gets an Energy Drain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels) attack just like a Wight gets, anything slain by negative levels will rise as a Wight as per the special ability's general description, and you don't have to take racial HD or level adjustment.

Because soul eater requires a living nonhumanoid with a natural attack to qualify.

And I know Necropolitan would be the way to go if I just wanted an undead beatstick, I just like wights and consider trying to make one more playable to be a bit of a challenge.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-20, 05:02 PM
I guess I missed the part about 'living' in the race requirement.

In that case, an Incarnate Construct Warforged Wight (using the wight template in SS) would only be +2 LA and no racial HD.