PDA

View Full Version : Help with creation of a Pathfinders Pixie Barbarian

Baconated
2011-02-20, 05:00 PM
Hey folks, I'm in a Pathfinders game, where any race/class combo is allowed, but no (or very very rare) rezzes, so I want a backup in case I bite it.

Right now I'm playing a Half-ogre Psionic Warrior who uses a Large Mindblade Scythe. Last night one of out party members croaked, and pulled out a backup winged half-orc-dragonborn-half-black dragon ranger to play.

I want to go somewhere very few go.. so I'm thinking Pixie Barbarian.

We do stats at base 80 (stats start at 0, you have 80 build points, nothing above 20 before racials, nothing under 10 after racials), and Pixie racials are something like –4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma, with an LA of +4. So I'm thinking to start with 20 Str/18 Con/20 Dex/6Int/10 Wis/6 Cha

That'd give me (post-racial adjustment) 16 Str, 18 Con, 28 Dex, 12 Int, 14 Wis, 12 Cha, and at 5th level I could become a level 1 Barbarian.

I want to wield a short sword so Id need to take a feat that allows me to use a bigger weapon than I am.

I'd eventually pick up Combat Reflexes and Weapon Finesse (for massive +hit bonus), then Power Attack, etc.

I figure with the high dex, Dodge, being small or tiny, AND having Natural Improved Invisibility, I should be pretty damn hard to hit, and around level 10 (4 pixie/6 barb), I should also have a good pool of hitpoints as well, even more when raged.

Low Str will be offset by the PA/Greater PA line (if thats still around), and Rage.

I may take 1st level as a Rogue for the extra d6 of sneak attack, and play it as I'm a berserker in combat, but mechanics (such as traps and locks) fascinate me, to a fault that I'm pretty (50%) likely to go fiddle with them instead of fighting.

Thoughts, tips, advice, aside from "Dont do it"?

Doomboy911
2011-02-21, 07:00 AM
Monkey grip should let you wield the sword.

Fearan
2011-02-21, 09:17 AM
Strongarm bracer are fine too

Caliphbubba
2011-02-21, 10:06 AM
You might want to consider the Whirling Frenzy option from Unearthed Arcana instead of the normal Rage option. Lets you focus on Dex rather than Strength.

Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Pixie Barbarian I think would be a lot better than a normal Barbarian.

togapika
2011-02-21, 10:19 AM
Obvious Shadow Blade feat oppourtunity...

Baconated
2011-02-21, 02:16 PM
You might want to consider the Whirling Frenzy option from Unearthed Arcana instead of the normal Rage option. Lets you focus on Dex rather than Strength.

Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Pixie Barbarian I think would be a lot better than a normal Barbarian.

Ooh, I like the Whirling Frenzy.. only thing I dislike is the loss of the Con boost.. but that would be offset by a disgusting AC..

Why Lion Totem? Id be a pixie - pixies fly, they wouldnt really run much, and +2hide isnt all that great. Boar Totem looks nice, with free Diehard, longer rage, and higher DR/, but the loss of Uncanny Dodge? I'm not sure.

Top notch on the Whirling Frenzy suggestion though! 30+AC ftw imo :D

Caliphbubba
2011-02-21, 02:25 PM
Ooh, I like the Whirling Frenzy.. only thing I dislike is the loss of the Con boost.. but that would be offset by a disgusting AC..

Why Lion Totem? Id be a pixie - pixies fly, they wouldnt really run much, and +2hide isnt all that great. Boar Totem looks nice, with free Diehard, longer rage, and higher DR/, but the loss of Uncanny Dodge? I'm not sure.

Top notch on the Whirling Frenzy suggestion though! 30+AC ftw imo :D

I'm away from book, and I don't exactly remember but I thought you could still use the Pounce feature if you made a flying charge. Now that I think of it, I'm not exactly sure you can fly+charge at the same time.

another option would be to use Whirling Frenzy option and make an Archer Barbarian...Maybe just one level of Barbarian for the Whirling Frenzy and then go Ranger/Scout with the Swift Hunter feat? *shrug* I'm working from memory at the moment so I'm not sure if all this jives.

Baconated
2011-02-22, 08:46 AM
I'm away from book, and I don't exactly remember but I thought you could still use the Pounce feature if you made a flying charge. Now that I think of it, I'm not exactly sure you can fly+charge at the same time.

another option would be to use Whirling Frenzy option and make an Archer Barbarian...Maybe just one level of Barbarian for the Whirling Frenzy and then go Ranger/Scout with the Swift Hunter feat? *shrug* I'm working from memory at the moment so I'm not sure if all this jives.

Ah, Pounce.. I havent seen anything regarding Pounce in the (very) limited resources I can find online for PCs.. everything pounce-related is for animals only. Can anyone elaborate on Pounce as it's used by a PC?

Caliphbubba
2011-02-23, 02:13 PM
Ah, Pounce.. I havent seen anything regarding Pounce in the (very) limited resources I can find online for PCs.. everything pounce-related is for animals only. Can anyone elaborate on Pounce as it's used by a PC?

Pounce lets you take a full attack after a charge, rather than a single attack. It's exactly like the ability that animals get. Lion Totem Barbarian is probably the easiest way from a marshal character to get it.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-02-23, 02:38 PM
Underfoot Combat/ Confound the Big Folk are pretty much required here.

Both are from Races of the Wild.

And the Lion totem doesn't hurt either - with it and the above 2 feats, you could charge into someone's square, since your tiny (I assume?) or even if you're not, you can basically charge into someone's square, and do a full attack while they get no Dex to AC against you. And you can continue to stay there, and trip them using your Dex on the trip check instead of Str - although it's not such a big deal in Pathfinder since there's a feat that lets you do that anyways.