PDA

View Full Version : Deep Crystal Material [3.5]

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-20, 06:04 PM
The special material Deep Crystal, Is it overpriced? Underpriced? Worth getting?

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 06:07 PM
Never used it myself, but just looking at it, it sounds pretty awesome for a psionic gish or even a psionic rogue/ninja (dunno if a decent one of those is possible, never tried). 2 PP would quickly become nothing at all, so you could do pretty wicked damage using that several times per battle.

Misses (with melee) not wasting the charge is a huge bonus.

As for price, 1,000 is pretty fair IMO for a non-magic weapon material that can give you a greatsword-worth of extra damage so easily. Hell, compare it to special armor materials in the DMG. 11k GP to make a heavy suit of armor out of mithral.

RndmNumGen
2011-02-20, 06:13 PM
If you have a half-decent BAB and don't have a desire to get a weapon made out of something else, then Deep Crystal is a fairly good option. By comparison, the 1st level power Mind Thrust does 1d10 damage/PP, but allows the target a will save and requires an action. So if you're going to be attacking anyway, and you have the PP... why not?

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-20, 06:22 PM
Never used it myself, but just looking at it, it sounds pretty awesome for a psionic gish or even a psionic rogue/ninja (dunno if a decent one of those is possible, never tried). 2 PP would quickly become nothing at all, so you could do pretty wicked damage using that several times per battle.
What about for a psychic warrior? I know that they get less PSPs, worth it? thinking of getting it as a greatsword.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 06:34 PM
NOTE: The following isn't taking into consideration PP gained from high ability scores, naturally psionic races, etc

Well, that's simple, just look at the PW's chart in the XPH. Even at level 4 you'd only be able to charge the sword twice a day and then only have 1 PP left for powers. You'd just have to keep in mind that every time you charge your sword, that's that much less you have to use on powers. It'd be a trade-off of epic damage over possible versatility.

That said, a charged greatsword would be pretty devastating. 4d6 damage before applying any other stuff like power attack, strength modifier, magic enhancement... I think this is one of those things that comes down to personal preference and what your goal is for the build/character.

Swooper
2011-02-20, 06:39 PM
On a psywar (or better yet, a psion//warblade!) it's totally worth getting. You just have to be slightly careful to not burn all your PPs on it, but having the option is awesome. It's kind of like Arcane Strike for psy-gishes, except it only costs money and it doesn't scale.

RndmNumGen
2011-02-20, 07:26 PM
Wilders might be another option, since they get the same BAB progression as PsyWar and they get more PP. Fewer powers though, and they're more blasty than buffing.

Zaq
2011-02-20, 08:26 PM
Isn't that the material from A&EG that reduces ASF more than Mithril, or am I confusing it with something else?

Not quite. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm#crystalDeep)

RndmNumGen
2011-02-20, 08:26 PM
Isn't that the material from A&EG that reduces ASF more than Mithril, or am I confusing it with something else?

Nope. Deep Crystal is functionally identical to iron in all ways except:

a) It costs an extra 1000gp to make an item out of it.
b) It allows a manifester to spend 2 PP to add 2d6 to their weapon damage roll.
c) It looks pretty.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 08:27 PM
Nope, its in XPH. Pouring 2 power points into it makes it do 2d6 more damage on a successful hit. Costs 1000gp more than standard weapon.

edit: mostly ninja'd (you didn't mention book :smallwink: )

Keld Denar
2011-02-21, 12:05 AM
One other nice thing about Deep Crystal is that its non-metal. This is rather useful when fighting certain monsters like Rust Monsters or such.

Adamantine, Mithril, Silver, Cold Iron, all equally delicious to such a foe.

senrath
2011-02-21, 12:10 AM
It counts as metal, though, which is odd.

ThirdEmperor
2011-02-21, 12:10 AM
I wonder, would a Deep Crystal sword by viable for one of those psionic rogue... Thingies? I kinda forgot the class name.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-21, 12:13 AM
Soulknife, probably? Don't think so, they make their own weapon out of psi-energy.

It counts as metal, though, which is odd.

Only for armor :P

And, really, why WOULD one make armor out of it, it doesn't give any advantages. Pretty sure they just added that line so druids aren't make deep crystal full plate.

RndmNumGen
2011-02-21, 12:44 AM
I wonder, would a Deep Crystal sword by viable for one of those psionic rogue... Thingies? I kinda forgot the class name.

Depends which psionic rogue thingy you're talking about. Soulknives wouldn't use one, since they make their own weapon. The Elocater or Slayer PRCs are both fairly roguelike though, and they could find such a weapon very useful.

And, really, why WOULD one make armor out of it, it doesn't give any advantages. Pretty sure they just added that line so druids aren't make deep crystal full plate.

Nope. Deep Crystal is functionally identical to iron in all ways except:

a) It costs an extra 1000gp to make an item out of it.
b) It allows a manifester to spend 2 PP to add 2d6 to their weapon damage roll.
c) It looks pretty.

faceroll
2011-02-21, 04:54 AM
It also works on crossbows, so it's a nice 2d6 damage on a potshot.

Volthawk
2011-02-21, 05:02 AM
Eh, for armour you can just use mundane crystal if you want shiny crystal armour. Pretty much the same as iron (same cost, just needs to be masterwork), just a little bit more fragile.

Also something to remember is Psionic Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicWeapon). That with a Deep Crystal greatsword would give 6d6 damage if you expend your psionic focus and pay 2pp.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-21, 09:23 AM

Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b)?

Greenish
2011-02-21, 09:29 AM
I wonder, would a Deep Crystal sword by viable for one of those psionic rogue... Thingies? I kinda forgot the class name.There are at least two variants called "psychic rogue" in addition to the Lurk and psionic assassin.

You'll have to be more specific.

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 09:59 AM
If you have a half-decent BAB and don't have a desire to get a weapon made out of something else, then Deep Crystal is a fairly good option. By comparison, the 1st level power Mind Thrust does 1d10 damage/PP, but allows the target a will save and requires an action. So if you're going to be attacking anyway, and you have the PP... why not?

So I read that and I thought of of a TOB Psi-gish using Mountain Hammer...

Cog
2011-02-21, 10:06 AM
There are at least two variants called "psychic rogue" in addition to the Lurk and psionic assassin.
I'm aware of the one SurlySeraph linked. What's the other?

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-21, 10:11 AM
So I read that and I thought of of a TOB Psi-gish using Mountain Hammer...

Dear god, with greater psionic weapon, that's...22d6?!?

Reynard
2011-02-21, 10:12 AM
Eh, for armour you can just use mundane crystal if you want shiny crystal armour. Pretty much the same as iron (same cost, just needs to be masterwork), just a little bit more fragile.

Also something to remember is Psionic Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicWeapon). That with a Deep Crystal greatsword would give 6d6 damage if you expend your psionic focus and pay 2pp.

Deep Crystal Psionic Greatsword in the hands of a Warblade/Psion with the Instant Clarity feat...

Hilarity ensues?

Well, hilarity in terms of 6d6+1.5xStr damage plus whatever other bonus you can get from Strikes.

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 10:46 AM
Ah, OK, I must be thinking of a different crystal from AE&G...

I think you're thinking of Blended Quartz.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-21, 10:54 AM
There are at least two variants called "psychic rogue" in addition to the Lurk and psionic assassin.

You'll have to be more specific.

To the best of my knowledge, there is only a psychic rogue (the one linked by Surlyseraph); but two psionic Assassin's, one found in the mind's eye which is a 5/10 psionic advancement class (perfect for more stealth oriented ardents) and the Psionic Assassin ACF found in secrets of Sarlona.

Greenish
2011-02-21, 10:58 AM
To the best of my knowledge, there is only a psychic rogue (the one linked by Surlyseraph); but two psionic Assassin's, one found in the mind's eye which is a 5/10 psionic advancement class (perfect for more stealth oriented ardents) and the Psionic Assassin ACF found in secrets of Sarlona.Right you are. Two Psychic Assassins and one Psychic Rogue, not the other way around.