PDA

View Full Version : Dex bonus for Will saves?

zephyrkinetic
2011-02-20, 08:18 PM
Hello, folks:

I'm creating a 10th level character based on the lycanthrope template that uses Blink Dog as the base animal (forget about the fact that Blink Dogs are "magical beasts," and not animals; a wizard did it).

Long story short, I need to find a way to make my Will saves. I've taken "Assume Supernatural Ability," a feat from Savage Species that allows one to, well, assume the supernatural abilities of a new form, but the feat requires that a DC 19 Will save be made in "stressful situations." Like combat. I've actually got a +19 to Reflex, counting my +8 Dex bonus.

I had grand designs to be Dimension Door- and Blink-ing all over the place, doing sneak attacks and whatnot, basically laying waste to the place. My Will save is a 9, though, and I can't figure out how to make it higher for the life of me. I've got Iron Will already, and I poured my ability boost points in. I needed to use two feats to Assume Supernatural Ability, and then I have Weapon Finesse, Improved Critical, and Improved Initiative, all things I believe my character benefits too greatly from not to use. Due to some backstory issues, my character has no starting gold to speak of, and we're using character flaws, to boot: mine imparts a -2 or -4 to anything on my sheet depending on environmental conditions.

I've already seen the X to Y thread; I didn't see anything helpful. I'm basically looking for loopholes.

ericgrau
2011-02-20, 08:20 PM
Elf or half-elf helps, at least for enchantments. There are a wide variety of spells that stop various mental spells, but I suppose you'll need more money before you can get a potion or item.

@V I believe it's steadfast determination.

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 08:22 PM
I believe there is a CON to Will feat, although I can't remember what it's called, but, no, I don't believe there's a DEX to Will one.

(INT to Reflex, on a totally unrelated note >_> Insightful Reflexes)

Amnestic
2011-02-20, 08:27 PM
X to Y Stat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732). No idea if the list is fully exhaustive of every WotC source, but there doesn't appear to be any way to get Dex->Will saves. Con we can do. Dex, not so much :smallfrown:

zephyrkinetic
2011-02-20, 08:37 PM
Elf or half-elf helps, at least for enchantments.

I went human as a base because I wanted the extra feat. I would lose anything but starting bonuses anyway, because my creature type would change.

No, spells aren't really up my character's alley. I'm going sneaky back-stabby, not sissy in a dress with a stick. :smalltongue:

Swooper
2011-02-20, 08:45 PM
Is a swordsage or warblade dip an option here? Because even just one level of either could get you a lot of things that would be useful for this concept, including Moment of Perfect Mind, a manoeuvre that lets you roll concentration instead of a will save.

On a sidenote: How would you even fluff dex to will saves? I get con, but dex? :smallconfused:

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 08:48 PM
On a sidenote: How would you even fluff dex to will saves? I get con, but dex? :smallconfused:

Yeah, there's a reason they paired them as they did in 4e. The argument for CHA to Will is that Charisma isn't "how nice you are" or some such, it is the force of your personality and your identity. How powerful your image of yourself is. Etc.

Same with DEX/INT for Reflex. You may be very nimble on your feet (DEX), or you may just be so smart that you know how to move, when to move, etc, to avoid something (INT).

As for Fortitude, pretty straightforward. STR and CON are both about how tough you are.

Swooper
2011-02-20, 09:04 PM
Mmh, I get that and can sort of agree with it. It leads to certain weird situations though, like an obese wizard with the physique of a beanbag who somehow always manages to dodge stuff. :smalltongue:

Daftendirekt
2011-02-20, 09:09 PM
Mmh, I get that and can sort of agree with it. It leads to certain weird situations though, like an obese wizard with the physique of a beanbag who somehow always manages to dodge stuff. :smalltongue:

Clearly, never read the Wheel of Time series and encountered the character of Chel Vanin. :smalltongue:Often physically described as basically a sack of oats, but who is the best horse-thief in several countries and an amazing rider.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-20, 09:15 PM
Mmh, I get that and can sort of agree with it. It leads to certain weird situations though, like an obese wizard with the physique of a beanbag who somehow always manages to dodge stuff. :smalltongue: He may not move fast, but he does know when to move by predicting his enemies movements sufficiently even his limited dexterity is sufficient.

Curmudgeon
2011-02-20, 09:22 PM
There's a feat that you want: Dexterous Will. Of course, it's Epic.
Benefit: Once per round, when targeted by an effect that requires a Will saving throw, you may make a Reflex save instead to avoid the effect (evasion is not applicable).

Qwertystop
2011-02-20, 10:04 PM
Yeah, there's a reason they paired them as they did in 4e. The argument for CHA to Will is that Charisma isn't "how nice you are" or some such, it is the force of your personality and your identity. How powerful your image of yourself is. Etc.

Same with DEX/INT for Reflex. You may be very nimble on your feet (DEX), or you may just be so smart that you know how to move, when to move, etc, to avoid something (INT).

As for Fortitude, pretty straightforward. STR and CON are both about how tough you are.

I can (barely) explain DEX to Will: You have trained in the art of moving your brain around within your skull, to give yourself a concussion in the one area being affected, precisely targeted to not affect the rest of your brain, and to fade afterwards.
Complete nonsense, but... Yeah, I've got no excuse :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2011-02-20, 11:09 PM
Well, if you don't mind being Evil and Vile, you could take Willing Deformity (madness) to get totally immunity to mind effects - although that doesn't sound like it fits your character concept. Also, won't help much with will saves against things like Slow or Glitterdust (although you can add 1/2 character level to a will save once every few rounds).

If you decide to go down this route, however, you can worship an Elder Evil for a bonus Vile feat/5 levels (the feat above has a prereq feat).