PDA

View Full Version : Really, Detroit? Really?

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-20, 08:55 PM
I'm from Detroit, and I think this is crazy. (http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/wayne_county/what-do-you-think-of-a-proposed-robocop-statue-in-detroit%3F)

Who in the world would think it's a good idea right now?

rayne_dragon
2011-02-20, 09:02 PM
Call me crazy, but I think it is kind of cool. Even better if they make it a statue of Robocop fighting ED-209.

On the other hand, I do think there are many, many more important issues that should be addressed than silly movie statues. Not that I want to go into more detail than that since that would be getting too far into political territory.

Moff Chumley
2011-02-20, 09:28 PM
My first thought upon seeing this: "Why don't WE get a robocop statue!?"

I'm pretty sure I haven't had any other thoughts on the subject, so...

Don Julio Anejo
2011-02-20, 09:42 PM
I personally think it's awesome.

Trog
2011-02-20, 09:45 PM
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Admiral Squish
2011-02-20, 10:19 PM
As a detroiter, I think that money could be used for a lot of other things that could certainly use the funds and would have a real, measurable effect on the city.

However, I have to say, if Detroit wasn't circling the drain, I would definitely be in support of awesome robocop statues.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-02-20, 10:42 PM
However, I have to say, if Detroit wasn't circling the drain, I would definitely be in support of awesome robocop statues.
Actually this is why I think the statue is a good idea. A type of a law & order thing with a local flavour.

shadow_archmagi
2011-02-20, 10:44 PM
As a detroiter, I think that money could be used for a lot of other things that could certainly use the funds and would have a real, measurable effect on the city.

I think the morale boost alone would have a measurable effect.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2011-02-20, 10:49 PM
It can't be any worse than the fist of Joe Lewis statue which is pointed squarely at Canada.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-20, 10:51 PM
It can't be any worse than the fist of Joe Lewis statue which is pointed squarely at Canada.

I think that fist has been brought up in debates about it fairly often.

Also, Joe Louis. Sorry if that comes across as mean, but, well, being a Detroiter, I just have to correct things like that.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2011-02-20, 10:59 PM
I think that fist has been brought up in debates about it fairly often.

Also, Joe Louis. Sorry if that comes across as mean, but, well, being a Detroiter, I just have to correct things like that.

Sorry, I knew that was the way it was spelled, it's been a long day.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-20, 11:00 PM
Sorry, I knew that was the way it was spelled, it's been a long day.

I know how it goes.

And yeah, that fist is also a source of "money we didn't need to spend" complaints.

Orzel
2011-02-20, 11:01 PM
Oh Detroit. Why waste your money? You can't complete in the statue dept.

Liberty > Robocop.

Five Boroughs, baby! NY #1!

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2011-02-20, 11:15 PM
I dunno, man. Robocop is certainly up there. The only real statue I know of around here is a six-foot gopher.

New York may be big, but we've got Biggar! Which is, admittedly, only a slightly-above-average town. And has no statues. No, the Gopher is in Eston.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-20, 11:23 PM
People contributed the money for it, so it's not money that would be spent for something else, so I have no problem with it.

That money would probably be better spent on an actual Robocop, given the state of Detroit, but...

Krade
2011-02-20, 11:35 PM
That money would probably be better spent on an actual Robocop, given the state of Detroit, but...

But Detroit is a city...:smallconfused:

Let the groans begin!

Moff Chumley
2011-02-20, 11:41 PM
http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/fry-ctc.jpg?w=450&h=750

Well? Can you? That's what I thought, punk. :smalltongue:

Crow
2011-02-21, 01:32 AM
The money that the statue would cost is a drop in the bucket.

Seriously, you only get an opportunity to have a statue of robocop erected in your city once.

thubby
2011-02-21, 01:51 AM
since it's already gotten more funding than it needs, they should totally build it and it's plaque should read "to robocop, the man who helped raise (amount of excess money given to the city)"

i mean seriously, if it takes a silly statue to get people motivated, build a field of them. inefficiently gained money is better than none.

rakkoon
2011-02-21, 04:42 AM
So will this Robocop be larger than the statue of Liberty?
Because that would be an achievement!

Killer Angel
2011-02-21, 05:34 AM
Who in the world would think it's a good idea right now?

See it this way: it's far cooler than Point Pleasant's (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/12036)fate... :smallwink:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-21, 05:54 AM
As a Baltimorian-or-whatever, this just reminds me of the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame or one of the myriad other ways Baltimore has gradually sunk below all the other cities everybody seems to hate.

Really, though, if Detroit gets a Robocop statue, what will my hometown have to commiserate with. St. Louis? That's a sad future. :smalltongue:

Form
2011-02-21, 09:09 AM
Hilarious and awesome. Do it. Maybe it'll generate some extra tourism income. :smalltongue:

Spacefarer
2011-02-21, 09:22 AM
Perhaps there is a better way to spend 50 grand, but good luck getting private citizens to donate to it. Robocop brings people together, public education, it seems, not so much.

Falgorn
2011-02-21, 10:01 AM
Good idea? No, not a wise way to spend money.

Would it still be awesome? Yes.

On another, Detroit-related note, does anyone else like the new Chrysler 200 commercial? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APS9tso1G9k)

faceroll
2011-02-21, 10:25 AM
Seriously, you only get an opportunity to have a statue of robocop erected in your city once.

Or, you know, every time you raise fifty grand to build a statue of robocop....

Giggling Ghast
2011-02-21, 06:48 PM
I heard about this first on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/), as the author is a hardcore Robocop fan. What's so bad about it? If people are willing to fund this with private donations, then what's the problem?

AshDesert
2011-02-21, 06:57 PM
I would call this a waste of money for most things, but for Robocop and a small selection of superheroes it would not be. Besides, what other city can claim to have Robocop? It would be a great way to increase tourism among the nerdy and nostalgic types.

snoopy13a
2011-02-21, 07:48 PM
There is some precedent. Philly has a statue of Rocky Balboa :smalleek:

KuReshtin
2011-02-21, 07:50 PM
They should totally do this.
Hell, they should make it a 200 foot tall RoboCop statue. You know. For intimidation. :smallcool:
And pure awesome!

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-21, 09:22 PM

On another, Detroit-related note, does anyone else like the new Chrysler 200 commercial? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APS9tso1G9k)

I do. And you know the tagline a the is going to be used a lot by them in the near future.

Imported from Detroit.

Innis Cabal
2011-02-21, 09:32 PM
As a Baltimorian-or-whatever, this just reminds me of the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame or one of the myriad other ways Baltimore has gradually sunk below all the other cities everybody seems to hate.

Really, though, if Detroit gets a Robocop statue, what will my hometown have to commiserate with. St. Louis? That's a sad future. :smalltongue:

Ummm....the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland, OH....I know this for a fact. Not only did I meet the man who designed it in person and do a lengthy report on the architecture of the Hall...I've been there at least ten times.

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-23, 03:41 AM
Yeah. I can't think of any "Hall of Fame" that's anywhere near Baltimore. Certainly not one anyone else would have heard of. Having the Rock and Roll HoF here would be supah sweet.

On a similar note, commisserate with St. Louis? They have the Arch. We have, ummm ... err ... the Chesapeake? A 45 minute drive to the myriad of things Washington, DC has to offer? :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, though, we have Fort McHenry, Pimlico racetrack (where the Preakness, one of the Triple Crown races, is run), and the National Aquarium just to name a few. There are a lot of things to come and see here.

Archonic Energy
2011-02-23, 04:42 AM
I'd buy that for a dollar!

*applauds*

well done sir.

now they need one that moves... and has weapons... and has 3 prime directives

1. Serve the Public Trust
2. Protect the innocent
3. Uphold the law
4. [Classified]

Lex-Kat
2011-02-23, 04:50 AM
1) I like the Robocop statue. And it's not taxpayers money, so I don't see a problem with it, especially if it brings in tourists. But they still need the city council's permission to build on the land, don't they?

2) I loved the commercial. To me, Eminem seemed to show a sense of pride in Detroit. And it showed off some of the great landmarks in Detroit, letting the country see that it's not just a deteriorating city full of condemned homes and gangs on the street.

starwoof
2011-02-23, 04:55 AM
I think this is the best idea ever. I've never even considered that Detroit is anything other than a giant slum, but now it will be a giant slum with a statue of Robocop.

I hope.

Syka
2011-02-23, 12:09 PM

I actually really love that new campaign. Every time I see the commercial, I actually watch it. Good music, pretty good visuals, and good narration. It's memorable, too.

Plus, I think "Imported from Detroit" is fairly clever.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes it. I thought I was just being a marketing nerd. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Wrong commercial, lol. I'm looking for the one I keep seeing all over my TV. I like that Super Bowl one, though. I pretty much have the same thing to say about it, hehe. :)

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-23, 12:29 PM
Ummm....the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland, OH....I know this for a fact. Not only did I meet the man who designed it in person and do a lengthy report on the architecture of the Hall...I've been there at least ten times.

That's precisely the point; Cleveland has the Rock n' Roll Halff of Fame, Detroit has an Awesome Robocop Statue, Baltimore has, um, a race track?

All the other cities everybody disses are just pulling ahead of us. :smalltongue:

(P.S. I <3 you Baltimore, pwomise)

Moff Chumley
2011-02-23, 01:12 PM
O.O

._.

That was, without question, the most awful pun I've seen today.

AAAAAAANYHOW: San Fransisco will always be cooler than all ya'll. :smalltongue:

Admiral Squish
2011-02-23, 03:53 PM
My city can beat up your city! :smalltongue:
Detroit with mess you up, man.

dehro
2011-02-24, 07:37 AM
*applauds*

well done sir.

now they need one that moves... and has weapons... and has 3 prime directives

1. Serve the Public Trust
2. Protect the innocent
3. Uphold the law

you've forgotten the 5th directive

5. bring me chocolate

everybody always forgets the 5th directive..it's not fair.:smallfrown:

Kain05
2011-02-24, 08:35 AM
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2090

Hey, they can compete with Metropolis Illinois.

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-24, 08:36 PM
That's precisely the point; Cleveland has the Rock n' Roll Halff of Fame, Detroit has an Awesome Robocop Statue, Baltimore has, um, a race track?

All the other cities everybody disses are just pulling ahead of us. :smalltongue:

(P.S. I <3 you Baltimore, pwomise)Fort McHenry, man! Birthplace of the national anthem! You can actually stand on "o'er the ramparts we watched"!

Okay, maybe more enjoyable to some than others. One of my best friends had his re-enlistment ceremony there. It was seven kinds of cool.

Science Officer
2011-02-24, 11:23 PM
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2090

Hey, they can compete with Metropolis Illinois.

And Riverside Iowa (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2081).

Exeson
2011-02-25, 10:45 AM
Maybe I'm being ignorant but the claim that the money could be used for better things really really grates.

It's not like there was 50k kicking about and someone was like 'Hey, let's build a statue!'. No, someone said 'hey! I want to put up a statue, but I need 50k, anyone want to give me some help?'.

The money was given for the purposes of erecting the statue, not for the purposes of helping out the city.

RandomNPC
2011-02-25, 10:55 AM
Hell, they should make it a 200 foot tall RoboCop statue. You know. For intimidation. :smallcool:
And pure awesome!

and if it's 200 feet tall the ghostbusters can ride in it if/when they decide on another movie!

Rockphed
2011-02-25, 11:16 AM
And pure awesome!

It would probably take more than the 50 K they have currently. On the other hand, a 200 foot tall statue of Robocop would be pretty boss. even a 20 foot statue would rock.

1) I like the Robocop statue. And it's not taxpayers money, so I don't see a problem with it, especially if it brings in tourists. But they still need the city council's permission to build on the land, don't they?

2) I loved the commercial. To me, Eminem seemed to show a sense of pride in Detroit. And it showed off some of the great landmarks in Detroit, letting the country see that it's not just a deteriorating city full of condemned homes and gangs on the street.

Haven't seen that commercial yet. Also, Detroit is mostly a deteriorating city full of condemned slums and gangs. As a teenager, I would sometimes volunteer with blight busters, a group who goes around Detroit tearing down crack houses and other abandoned homes. On the other hand, I loves me Detroit.

My city can beat up your city! :smalltongue:
Detroit with mess you up, man.

As a shirt I once saw said, "I'm from Detroit, where the weak are killed and eaten."

and if it's 200 feet tall the ghostbusters can ride in it if/when they decide on another movie!

Whether or not the statue is actually 200 feet tall, I want a 200 foot robocop statue in a movie.

Shyftir
2011-02-27, 01:57 AM
I'm from Chicago and Detroit is kinda like our northern Midwest Bash-Brother. Just so you know anybody messes with Detroit Rock City we got their back.

Solaris
2011-02-27, 09:02 PM
Fort McHenry, man! Birthplace of the national anthem! You can actually stand on "o'er the ramparts we watched"!

Okay, maybe more enjoyable to some than others. One of my best friends had his re-enlistment ceremony there. It was seven kinds of cool.

Beats all of the ones I've suffered through. The one where we had to climb a mountain and none of the command staff (who liked to rub their experience and time in the service in our faces) could remember the oath but a certain junior enlisted Joe could, that was almost cool.

Even if it were taxpayer dollars, this would be far from the most idiotic fifty grand Detroit has spent. Being that it's a private collection... well, screw it, why not? Just be sure not to erect it in one of the neighborhoods that they're bulldozing.

Thes Hunter
2011-02-28, 11:13 AM
I know my mayor (yes, I said my mayor, since my address is Detroit), turned the statue down originally.

I think it is cool that they were able to find money for it. My boyfriend also thinks it's silly. He feels Detroit needs so much help that it's wasteful to throw money at a statue like that.

I do agree that in a few years people will be like "WTF?" and it will be a public statue that makes no sense. And that is the only negative to it... I do think we need more public statuary, and pay more attention to manicuring our public spaces. Because public spaces help define community.

Anyways, to not get myself side tracked... $50,000 is not a lot of money when it comes to fixing Detroit's woes, so I don't buy that argument. So they put the statue up in Corktown. People maybe drive by to see it, and grab a bite to eat at Slow's. Corktown continues it's gentrification, and maybe in like 10 years where the statue is will be a decent area to live. But then again, with this ecomony who knows.