PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't there a decanter of endless fire

stabbitty death
2011-02-20, 11:25 PM
There is the decanter of endless water and a bottle of air in core. And then there's the decanter of endless sand in Sandstorm. So why isn't there a decanter of endless fire?

SilverClawShift
2011-02-20, 11:27 PM
Aren't they called torches?

For real tho, There's gotta be an ever-lit torch in a book SOMEWHERE.

chaos_redefined
2011-02-20, 11:29 PM
It's easy to make something on fire in D&D. Put adventurers near it.

Squally!
2011-02-20, 11:30 PM
weapon focus: decanter of endless blaze xD

i can safely say, if there ever was one that worked like endless water, it would be outlawed in all of our games. Much cheese to be had!

JeminiZero
There is an Everburning Torch, but it only produces magical light and no heat.

Off the top of my head, closest thing I can think of is to Permanancy a Wall of Fire. That effectively provides an endless heat source, but it cannot be carried around, unless you set it up in a portable extra dimensional space like of bag of holding or something.

stabbitty death
Oh duh. Now I feel stupid.:smallsigh:

Lord Raziere
2011-02-20, 11:32 PM
because no one wants a thing that could potentially set the entire world on fire :smalltongue:

Cerlis
2011-02-20, 11:38 PM
well, does endless sand do damage? cus wind can blow people away, and so can water, and maybe create a crazy situation (like filling up a room or whatever). but a decanter of endless fire would have to do firedamage, and the idea of giving anyone the ability to constantly do damage by just standing there and doing nothing, was a bad idea i bet they conciously avoided.

I mean its like having a short bow that constantly shoots everything 30 feet in front of it constantly by just holding it.

little overpowered

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-20, 11:39 PM
Basically, what you are asking for is a bottle that, when you open it, becomes a flamethrower.

All I'm wondering is how you close it.

John Campbell
2011-02-20, 11:40 PM
because no one wants a thing that could potentially set the entire world on fire :smalltongue:

Yet adventurers exist...

Given the amount of damage various of my parties have done with decanters of endless water, and the amount of stuff we've burned down and/or blown up with limited-use fire sources, I don't want to think about what we'd get up to with what amounts to a continuous-use flamethrower...

SilverClawShift
2011-02-20, 11:40 PM

Exactly. You MIGHT find an omnicidal maniac who thinks one would be cool, but they probably wouldn't have the patience and dedication to become a spellcaster just to experiment with ways to create one. Not when they could just actually set stuff on fire.

Even a stone-cold evil arch-lich would probably be like "Whoa. What if someone left it open and it tipped over? Nah, probably best to leave that idea alone."

Xuc Xac
2011-02-21, 12:30 AM
There is the decanter of endless water and a bottle of air in core. And then there's the decanter of endless sand in Sandstorm. So why isn't there a decanter of endless fire?

The same reason that fatal poisons are really expensive and difficult to make despite the fact that you can find them accidentally by failing a Survival check to pick some berries or mushrooms for lunch. Things in D&D are priced according to their usefulness to adventurers in combat and not according to how easily they would be to produce.

stabbitty death
2011-02-21, 12:33 AM
Exactly. You MIGHT find an omnicidal maniac who thinks one would be cool, but they probably wouldn't have the patience and dedication to become a spellcaster just to experiment with ways to create one. Not when they could just actually set stuff on fire.

Even a stone-cold evil arch-lich would probably be like "Whoa. What if someone left it open and it tipped over? Nah, probably best to leave that idea alone."

the same could be said for a decanter of endless water/sand

Telonius
2011-02-21, 12:34 AM
The item does exist, just in a weird kind of quantum state. If it actually made its way into the world, it would be immediately banned by the DM when Jerk Player #3 decides to open it up next to every flammable object they encounter.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-21, 12:39 AM

then again things like oceans and deserts exist....:smalltongue:

slaydemons
2011-02-21, 12:43 AM
actually I could see it be used for things not in battle like a forge in place of a furnace

MeeposFire
2011-02-21, 12:44 AM
Basically, what you are asking for is a bottle that, when you open it, becomes a flamethrower.

All I'm wondering is how you close it.

command word like so many things

wait you want a joke dang I wish I could make those:smallannoyed:.

One can dream though, one can dream:smallsmile:.

Innis Cabal
2011-02-21, 12:44 AM
then again things like oceans and deserts exist....:smalltongue:

So a Decanter of Endless Magma would be ok under that logic?

VirOath
2011-02-21, 12:47 AM

But water and sand can't kill you just by touching you. You have to be crushed, buried, or drowned. Which takes a lot, and the medium itself can be managed. They are states. Fire is a reaction.

Fire spreads.

Suichimo
2011-02-21, 12:57 AM
well, does endless sand do damage? cus wind can blow people away, and so can water, and maybe create a crazy situation (like filling up a room or whatever). but a decanter of endless fire would have to do firedamage, and the idea of giving anyone the ability to constantly do damage by just standing there and doing nothing, was a bad idea i bet they conciously avoided.

I mean its like having a short bow that constantly shoots everything 30 feet in front of it constantly by just holding it.

little overpowered

Both Sand and Water deal damage, 1d6 and 1d4 respectively.

So something like:

"Smolder": Produces a small campfire.
"Ignite": Produces a bonfire.
"Erupt": Fires a jet of flame 30' long that deals 1d8 points of Fire damage. DC 12 Strength check to avoid being knocked down and you can only affect one target per round.

Bottle of Sand and Decanter of Endless Water can wreak just as much havoc as setting things on fire.

Inyssius Tor
2011-02-21, 03:34 AM
But water and sand can't kill you just by touching you. You have to be crushed, buried, or drowned. Which takes a lot, and the medium itself can be managed. They are states. Fire is a reaction.

Fire spreads.

Exactly. Air and water and sand are things. Fire is an activity. Conceptually, they're very different things, so it's not surprising that one exists and the other doesn't.

Ashram
2011-02-21, 03:41 AM
Considering a decanter of sand is basically a decanter of earth, I can see where you're going with this. But it's like a decanter of lightning; no one in there right mind would let a player have infinite fire or lightning.

herrhauptmann
2011-02-21, 03:42 AM
Exactly. Air and water and sand are things. Fire is an activity. Conceptually, they're very different things, so it's not surprising that one exists and the other doesn't.

Fire shouldn't even count. It's a chemical reaction (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html).

Killer Angel
2011-02-21, 03:54 AM
Yet adventurers exist...

Given the amount of damage various of my parties have done with decanters of endless water, and the amount of stuff we've burned down and/or blown up with limited-use fire sources, I don't want to think about what we'd get up to with what amounts to a continuous-use flamethrower...

This.
We have peoples trying to use the decanter to make some jet-pack, I don't wanna think to the jet engines...

Elric VIII
2011-02-21, 05:08 AM
So a Decanter of Endless Magma would be ok under that logic?

I support this. Use Suggestion to trick someone into thinking it's actually a decanter of water.:smallamused:

starwoof
2011-02-21, 05:50 AM
I support this. Use Suggestion to trick someone into thinking it's actually a decanter of water.:smallamused:

That would be an awesome cursed item. 20% of the time it shoots magma instead of water!

Ashram
2011-02-21, 06:07 AM
That would be an awesome cursed item. 20% of the time it shoots magma instead of water!

No supernaturally scalding-hot water instead? :P

WinWin
2011-02-21, 06:08 AM
Eversmoking bottle.

Brazier of commanding fire elementals. Not a constant flow of fire, but an unlimited supply of fire elementals is just as good.

Aharon
2011-02-21, 06:48 AM
It needs to be a ring. A burning ring of fire :smallbiggrin:

starwoof
2011-02-21, 07:30 AM
No supernaturally scalding-hot water instead? :P

I don't think that really hot water has quite the same "What the FLIP?!" effect that occasionally shooting a gout of molten rock does. :smalltongue:

Chilingsworth
2011-02-21, 07:45 AM
Considering a decanter of sand is basically a decanter of earth, I can see where you're going with this. But it's like a decanter of lightning; no one in there right mind would let a player have infinite fire or lightning.

Since when have the folks at WotC shown even the slightest sign of being in their right minds?:smallconfused:

Tyndmyr
2011-02-21, 08:58 AM

Well, players do. Oh god, do they want that.

So do I. In real life.

Erik Vale
2013-01-01, 08:02 AM
Well, players do. Oh god, do they want that.

So do I. In real life.

*Adds to checklist*
Buy... A... Houseboat. Ok, done.

Hopeless
2013-01-01, 08:38 AM

So add potassium or phosphorous to a decanter of endless water whilst using protection from fire and seal up the decanter, it should last long enough for your purposes wouldn't it?

Be careful about the resulting explosion mind you (Never could remember if its one or both of them that explodes with contact with water...)

Darrin
2013-01-01, 10:57 AM
So why isn't there a decanter of endless fire?

There is. It's called posting "Why do monks suck?" or "ToB is overpowered" in this forum.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-01, 11:10 AM

I don't want to set the world on fire, I just want to start a flame in your heart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6vqPUM_FE

Fire...fire never changes...

Archmage1
2013-01-01, 11:54 AM
Well, you could modify a decanter of endless water to be a decanter of endless petroleum, and light it on fire.

Or course, getting this past your DM might be... tricky.

I suggest playing a truenamer who dumps the truenaming skill as a balance fix.

docnessuno
2013-01-01, 11:58 AM
Well, you could modify a decanter of endless water to be a decanter of endless petroleum, and light it on fire.

Or course, getting this past your DM might be... tricky.

I think it might be easyer to to make him accept a decanter of endless gold coins. It would with me at least.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-01-01, 11:58 AM

Fire spreads.

At the same time, endless water and sand are just that: endless. Leave the magical source on long enough and you'll end up flooding the world. A decanter of endless fire, without a nearby fuel source (which it would eventually eat up) would just be spitting out quickly-dying fire, making it a bit dangerous to approach but much more easily contained.

Vaynor
2013-01-01, 12:38 PM
The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.