PDA

View Full Version : Half-Marathon: Complete!

ShadowHunter
2011-02-20, 11:36 PM
I ran the Austin half-marathon today. How did I do? Well thanks to my magical watch, I can answer that question more thoroughly than you care to know! I did this good: http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2613/halfmarathon.png

My realistic goal was 10 minutes a mile (2:10ish hours) and my lofty goal was under 2 hours. Instead I got stuck waiting in line for a porta-potty (the first long stop, bad planning on my part), then my knee started to hurt, and I pretty much all but decided to call it quits (the second very long stop) but it got itself under control and off I went. I took a water break around 1:45 and you can see I had difficulty restarting, but the pain in the knee subsided and I sped up and ran pretty hard from about 2:00 on. The variations in pace there are pretty much from some AWFUL monster man-eating hills. Official time was 2:26.

Disappointing, but I'm glad I didn't crap out early on

Theoretically I'm running a full marathon on March 20th but I'm considering deferring my registration to next year. Guess I'll see what the doctor says about the knee. :(. Or I guess maybe :). Whichever.

Zaydos
2011-02-21, 12:24 AM
Congrats. Hills are more fun than level ground.

Also yeah check on your knee and even if it should be okay don't try a marathon if it is bothering you... unless you want boasting rights about being mule-headed and stupid.

ShadowHunter
2011-02-21, 12:29 AM
unless you want boasting rights about being mule-headed and stupid.

Wait...was there another reason?

Zaydos
2011-02-21, 12:33 AM
Wait...was there another reason?

There is no good reason to run a marathon on a hurt leg.

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 12:36 AM
I bet your watch isn't really magical.

Rawhide
2011-02-21, 02:41 AM
I bet your watch isn't really magical.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 02:46 AM
I bet your watch isn't really sufficiently advanced technology.

ShadowHunter
2011-02-21, 12:19 PM
Wait, what? Ohhhh, nono it's not magical because it tracks running statistics with a GPS uplink!

It's magical because it grants +1 reflex saving throws and allows me to cast haste once a day.

...in retrospect, I probably should have cast it, but darn it, you just never know when you're going to need it. The same reason I finish RPGs with dozens of single-use items in my inventory.