PDA

View Full Version : (3. Pathfinder) I love rogues! Lets make a fun rogue build!

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-02-21, 12:10 AM
title kinda says it all....

I love rogues, always have. I love being that one sneaky, skilled, kind of jack of all trades guy.

However, Ive played every kind of rogue I can think of! UMD rogue, HiPS rogue, sword and buckler rogue, TWF rogue, Power attack rogue, swashbuckler rogue...

Anyway, I would like some ideas on what rogue to play next! something new, or a new take on an old design would be nice... I don't know, I feel you all could help. I prefer Dex based rogues by the way, but i am flexible like that. I just really want a rogue that is REALLY fun to play.

Thanks in advance!

Land Outcast
2011-02-21, 01:07 AM
What about a dual rapid reloading hand crossbow wielding rogue?

And a con artist rogue? forger & swindler?

And an infiltrator? master of disguise and information peddler?

And a pious agent of the church?
Rogue/Cleric, skillful and resourceful, making the will of the gods?
Six cleric levels, Practiced spellcaster, Divine Metamagic, Silent spell?

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-02-21, 01:57 AM
I have done a hand crossbow rogue before.... though badass imagery was often evoked, it was a painful experience for me.... good to do at least once though.

Definitely done a con artist rogue before....

An Infiltrator, yes I have, though not for a long time... as I recall it was a shadowdancer rogue.

A pious rogue... no, i never have. its something to consider, I just never could come up with a backstory I felt was suitable for it... hm...

Mecharious
2011-02-21, 02:01 AM
Just curious, what is HiPS?

Land Outcast
2011-02-21, 02:09 AM
A pious rogue... no, i never have. its something to consider, I just never could come up with a backstory I felt was suitable for it... hm...
Think inquisitor or retriever of relics... then there's the more typical approach as the left hand of the church, as assassin or infiltrator.

MeeposFire
2011-02-21, 02:15 AM
Just curious, what is HiPS?

Hide in Plain Sight I believe.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-02-21, 02:24 AM
Hide in Plain Sight I believe.

CORRECT! good job, you win todays contest of everything!

MeeposFire
2011-02-21, 02:28 AM
CORRECT! good job, you win todays contest of everything!

oo what did I win?

A brand new car!?!:smallbiggrin:

ex cathedra
2011-02-21, 02:29 AM
What about a flask rogue? Delivering sneak attack damage via Alchemist's Fire et al? Some sort of mad alchemist-esque character? Just a thought. It's fairly effective, too.

MeeposFire
2011-02-21, 02:34 AM
What about a flask rogue? Delivering sneak attack damage via Alchemist's Fire et al? Some sort of mad alchemist-esque character? Just a thought. It's fairly effective, too.

Though fairly expensive.

ex cathedra
2011-02-21, 02:53 AM
Psh. Totally worth it. It's not so hard to craft them yourself, though there is that stupid line that allows only spellcasters to create alchemical items.

For that matter, have you tried playing a spellcasting rogue?

Corlindale
2011-02-21, 02:57 AM

Perhaps just try playing an Alchemist? They can be remarkably Rogue-ish, and easily fill the role as "that one sneaky, skilled, kind of jack of all trades guy." They lack trapfinding and their class-skill list is a bit less impressive, but on the other hand they'll probably end up having more skill points than a Rogue, being Int-based with 4 base sp per level. And it's certainly something different from what you've played before.

You could also check out the Ninja from the Ultimate Combat playtest release - it's a new variant of Rogue with a lot of cool powers.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-02-21, 03:11 AM
oo what did I win?

A brand new car!?!:smallbiggrin:

Um... well, lets see what i got in my pocket... *digs around for a minute*

well, looks like you won a paperclip, two dollars in pesos, a quarter, and some lint! Congratulations!

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-02-21, 03:13 AM
Perhaps just try playing an Alchemist? They can be remarkably Rogue-ish, and easily fill the role as "that one sneaky, skilled, kind of jack of all trades guy." They lack trapfinding and their class-skill list is a bit less impressive, but on the other hand they'll probably end up having more skill points than a Rogue, being Int-based with 4 base sp per level. And it's certainly something different from what you've played before.

You could also check out the Ninja from the Ultimate Combat playtest release - it's a new variant of Rogue with a lot of cool powers.

Alchemists are fun, I plan on playing one... eventually.

ALSO, in other news... I HATE ninjas. make no mentions of ninjas. Not only do they attack me every day at the bus stop, but the current pop culture obsession with ninjas vaguely disgusts me. Thanks, but no. ROGUES are where its at.

MeeposFire
2011-02-21, 03:13 AM
Um... well, lets see what i got in my pocket... *digs around for a minute*

well, looks like you won a paperclip, two dollars in pesos, a quarter, and some lint! Congratulations!

Sweet I will take the pesos as that is a type of currency I do not have.:smallsmile:

Ashram
2011-02-21, 03:38 AM
I happen to be playing a Chaotic Evil Abyssal tiefling rogue in a 3.P campaign. Obsession with blood makes him a bit of a stabby rogue, currently using a heavy sickle (Planar Handbook, fluffed to be primarily used by Abyssal tieflings) made of Abyssal bloodiron. I'm having a lot of fun with Bleeding Attack.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-02-21, 05:06 AM
I happen to be playing a Chaotic Evil Abyssal tiefling rogue in a 3.P campaign. Obsession with blood makes him a bit of a stabby rogue, currently using a heavy sickle (Planar Handbook, fluffed to be primarily used by Abyssal tieflings) made of Abyssal bloodiron. I'm having a lot of fun with Bleeding Attack.

all well and good... I just dont like playing evil rogues.

I dunno, Im just looking for some mechanic that would make for a new and fun rogue... something i just havent ever tried. regardless of the weapon used, a stabby rogue is a stabby rogue.

Ashram
2011-02-21, 06:05 AM
all well and good... I just dont like playing evil rogues.

I dunno, Im just looking for some mechanic that would make for a new and fun rogue... something i just havent ever tried. regardless of the weapon used, a stabby rogue is a stabby rogue.

From your list, it doesn't sound like you've tried the trapjunkie rogue, the kind that not only loves to thwart traps, but catch enemies in his own personally-constructed traps using Craft: Trapsmithing. Look up the Trapsmith archetype in the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide and see what you can come up with. Natural rogue talents that come to mind are Trap Spotter (Auto-check for traps within 10'), Quick Disable (Disable traps in half the time, good if your DM enforces this sort of thing, but otherwise optional) and Cunning Trigger (Swift action activate any trap that you created within 30').

If you're doing Pathfinder, this class is very Dexterity-based (As Disable Device is based off of Dexterity, and having a good Dexterity can help if you need to make a Reflex save against a trap) and can be fun depending on the setting and the creativity of your traps. Just as a wizard finds joy in researching new magic and a fighter trains with their weapons, a trapsmith finds no greater calling than to screw up someone's carefully-laid trap, find out how it works and turn it against them.

Sillycomic
2011-02-21, 06:21 AM
My friend told me of the most fascinating rogue he ever played. He called it a wizard rogue.

Basically he told everyone he was playing a wizard. He maxed out his UMD and bought some wands, and then had long sleeves and a decent sleight of hand so it looked like he was casting spells.

He told everyone that he was a wizard and after the first fireball they believed him.

The GM is the only one who knew the truth.

I thought of it as an interesting concept to play. How often do you get to keep a really big secret like that?

This works even better with the Pathfinder rogue who is allowed to cast some spells with the right minor and major magic talents.

Otherworld Odd
2011-02-21, 08:28 AM
Well, the flask idea is immediately out as splash weapons and flasks don't deal sneak attack damage in Pathfinder anymore, unless of course you get your DM to override that rule.

I quite like the idea about the church retriever/agent. It's actually a very very interesting idea to me O_o;... A lot of option there. You're not really playing a sneaky-thievy rogue as much as you are a special-ops agent. I might even have to steal this idea for myself.

Land Outcast
2011-02-21, 10:46 AM
What about a gambler/sorcerer, who goes around with a fancy walking stick (sword cane)?

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-02-21, 08:15 PM
All really god ideas, thanks everyone, Ive got some things to think about.

Paul H
2011-02-23, 09:48 PM
Hi

What about a damage dealing slice'n dice?

Halfling (Dex 18)

1) Rogue: Wpn Finesse
2) Magus:
3) Magus: Dervish Dance
4) Magus:
5) Rogue: Dodge
6) Magus:
7) Rogue: Mobility
8) Magus:
9) Rogue: Toughness

Dervish Dance adds Dex mod to damage with Scimitars.

Magus uses spells to attack & defence. (Cat's Grace adds to AC, attack/damage etc. Shield to AC....et al).
You can add elemental damage to weapon through Spell Strike & Arcan Pool

Rogue adds sneak attack, extra weapon abilities (talents), good acrobatics (FKA Tumble), etc.

Recently started this for PFS.
Thanks
Paul H

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-23, 09:55 PM
Either Psychic Rogue (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b), or Rogue/Psion/Psychic Assassin (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d). Go TWF and get the Mind Cripple special ability, so every sneak attack deals 2 Int damage which one-shots animals, and can disable most high-HP opponents in a single full attack.

Paul H
2011-02-23, 09:58 PM
Hi

With Heirloom Wpn (Scimitar) Trait, upgraded to +1 (Magical). Cat's Grace cast, and Arcane Pool (I'd choose Corrosive & Flaming).

Attack: +14 (Spellstrike - Shocking Grasp for 5D6 dam)
Damage: D4 + 8 + (5D6 Electric) + D6 Acid + D6 Fire + [2D6 Sneak if appropriate].

Thanks
Paul H

Paul H
2011-02-23, 10:00 PM
Either Psychic Rogue (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b), or Rogue/Psion/Psychic Assassin (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d). Go TWF and get the Mind Cripple special ability, so every sneak attack deals 2 Int damage which one-shots animals, and can disable most high-HP opponents in a single full attack.

Hi

Thought this was Pathfinder build?

Thanks
Paul H

Noedig
2011-02-23, 10:00 PM
Throwing weapon rogue? I didnt see it in the list.

Aurenthal
2011-02-23, 11:11 PM
ok... I´m thinking of, a unarmed strike rogue, and dart thrower