PDA

View Full Version : Kamen Rider campaign: How to go about it?

CycloneJoker
2011-02-21, 02:29 AM
Okay, me and a couple of friends had been throwing around this idea for a while, and I've finally decided to do it. So, that got me to thinking: how in the name of all that is good and bacony can I do this? My current idea is for the enemies to be Worms, who are weak, but can Clock Up and something like Grongi, Lords, Orphenocs, or Dopants, who would be much stronger than the Worms, but lack Clock Up. The characters would be any 3.5 class with any magic removed, so a Ranger would get combat styles, but not casting, and would gain "levels" of Rider every other level, and the game would cap at level 10 or 12, and I want, at higher levels, for the PCs to do something like Wataru, and block the Rhino Fangire's punch barehanded and untransformed. The riders I'm wanting to implement are Kabuto riders (either Drake-esque, Kabuto-esque, or Gattack-esque in attacks), who can Clock Up, but are weaker than the others, Kuuga-esque, with Dragon for mobility, and Pegasus so they can attack, but not move, during Clock-Up, but have huge damage potential, with drawbacks, a DiEnd-esque guy based on summoning other guys, and probably the heaviest hitter, but with no Clock-Up based ability, other than MAYBE Ixa, and, finally, a Faiz-esque guy who is basically a stonger Kabuto with a more limited Clock Up.

My problem: I cannot figure out how to build these classes. My intent was to put the game at a gestalted tier 2+3 game. Also, I wanted to use D20 modern weapons for untransformed guys, but I lack the familiarity to tack this onto it.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

alpha1
2011-02-21, 03:13 AM
some one started but did not finish a sentai class just look up the word henshin you should find a starting point

Prime32
2011-02-21, 09:35 AM
Wouldn't someone with Clock Up be ridiculously overpowered against anyone without it? :smallconfused:

Anyway, some links:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b (needs a magic belt to switch faster)
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html (only one form)
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10901.msg373267#msg373267 (miiiine)

Mutants & Masterminds would work much better for this though. There's mechanics for transformations and civilian forms, and you don't need to worry about classes. You can even do Double easily.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-21, 11:02 AM
Wouldn't someone with Clock Up be ridiculously overpowered against anyone without it? :smallconfused:

Anyway, some links:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b (needs a magic belt to switch faster)
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html (only one form)
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10901.msg373267#msg373267 (miiiine)

Mutants & Masterminds would work much better for this though. There's mechanics for transformations and civilian forms, and you don't need to worry about classes. You can even do Double easily.

Well, I figure that Pegasus is pretty overpowered, and could keep up, Faiz Accel could keep up, and the way I think about it, when not masked, they're pretty weak and fragile, so that would balance. And then, DiEnd is DiEnd, he could summon Sasword or Ixa, and as the Kabuto world showed, Ixa can keep up. Also, Accel Trial might be able to keep up. Anyways, there are two bug Kabuto fans, so Kabuto has to stay.

When I tried Mutants and Masterminds I absolutely loathed it, as did the entire rest of my group, so that's probably a no-go.

That FormRider is really cool. Really cool.

Super_Fluous
2011-02-21, 01:52 PM
One thing I have always wondered is what monster types the various Kamen Rider kaijin would fit into. Some are easier then others, but let's see.

Grongi would be Monstrous Humanoids.
Lords are Outsiders.
Mirror Monsters are Outsiders. Or possibly Constructs.
Orphenocs are kinda tough. They're transformed humans, so Aberrations? Undead? Monstrous Humanoid? I'm not sure which.
Undeads, (despite the name) are pretty clearly Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Makamou are a mix of Monstrous Humanoids and Magical Beasts.
Worms are either Aberrations or Outsiders, I'm not sure which.
Imagin are also tough. I could see them being Undead (they're basically the ghosts of people who have been wiped out of extant timelines) Outsiders, or possibly even Fey.
Fangire are pretty clearly undead. Although I could see someone arguing for Monstrous Humanoid or Aberration.
Dopants are another tough one. The're also transformed humans, but unlike the Orphanocs its a temporary process, so this one is a bit tough. Monstrous Humanoids would make sense, but so would (Native) Outsiders, considering that they draw their power from the earth and all.
Lastly, Greed/Yummy are pretty clearly Constructs.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-21, 01:59 PM
One thing I have always wondered is what monster types the various Kamen Rider kaijin would fit into. Some are easier then others, but let's see.

Grongi would be Monstrous Humanoids.
Lords are Outsiders.
Mirror Monsters are Outsiders. Or possibly Constructs.
Orphenocs are kinda tough. They're transformed humans, so Aberrations? Undead? Monstrous Humanoid? I'm not sure which.
Undeads, (despite the name) are pretty clearly Outsiders with the Native subtype.
Makamou are a mix of Monstrous Humanoids and Magical Beasts.
Worms are either Aberrations or Outsiders, I'm not sure which.
Imagin are also tough. I could see them being Undead (they're basically the ghosts of people who have been wiped out of extant timelines) Outsiders, or possibly even Fey.
Fangire are pretty clearly undead. Although I could see someone arguing for Monstrous Humanoid or Aberration.
Dopants are another tough one. The're also transformed humans, but unlike the Orphanocs its a temporary process, so this one is a bit tough. Monstrous Humanoids would make sense, but so would (Native) Outsiders, considering that they draw their power from the earth and all.
Lastly, Greed/Yummy are pretty clearly Constructs.

Orphenocs are undead, Worms are abberations, Dopants are just augmented,and Fangires are monstrous humanoids, I'd say. Oh, and Imajin are Outsiders, though I could argue them being abberations . But, basically, you're spot on. My biggest issue is mechanics for riders. Anyone have any thoughts? What M&M book has the info to make Rider-esque dudes??

CycloneJoker
2011-02-21, 04:12 PM
I got an idea on how to handle Pegasus, Clock Up, and Faiz Accel: Clock up is a 2d3 rounds of clocking up, with a d4 round cooldown, but also automatically applies when an enemy Clocks Up. Accel is a 1/encounter Clock Up for 2 rounds. It was 12 seconds, IIRC. Pegasus cannot move during a Clock Up, but it can still blow people's brains out with the Pegasus Bowgun. Also, I was thinking about putting a daily or encounterly 5 round limit on Pegasus, as that's how long it was, IIRC, and give it a huge AC and attack bonus during those rounds. I mean, he basically caught a sniper bullet in his first or second appearance.

I'm probably going to give Dragon a high land speed and an effective fly speed, as long as he lands at the end of every turn. Still unsure about if I should incorporate Kuuga Titan or DiEnd.

Prime32
2011-02-21, 09:07 PM
What M&M book has the info to make Rider-esque dudes??Mecha & Manga? Though 90% of it is covered by Core.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-21, 09:14 PM
Mecha & Manga? Though 90% of it is covered by Core.

Wait, there's actually a book called "Mecha and Manga?"

Is there any other system I could steal? I don't have them, I borrowed them.

turkishproverb
2011-02-22, 10:39 PM
IN addition to what's been posted, The Hero system is pretty good for sentai/rider campaigns if you're into insane amounts of bookkeeping

CycloneJoker
2011-02-23, 06:46 PM
IN addition to what's been posted, The Hero system is pretty good for sentai/rider campaigns if you're into insane amounts of bookkeeping

What Hero system? Am imissing something? Is it just M&M?

turkishproverb
2011-02-23, 10:25 PM
No. The Hero System, by Hero games. In it's sixth edition. A rediculously verbose set of rules (Currently the two required core rulebooks are each over 300 pages.)

Jayngfet
2011-02-23, 10:27 PM
I remember there being a Toku game system somewhere in the internet. It's still in beta, but it definitely exists.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-23, 10:52 PM
No. The Hero System, by Hero games. In it's sixth edition. A rediculously verbose set of rules (Currently the two required core rulebooks are each over 300 pages.)
Is there any way to do this without having to buy 2 or 3 new books?

I remember there being a Toku game system somewhere in the internet. It's still in beta, but it definitely exists.

I cannot locate. Link?

turkishproverb
2011-02-24, 11:28 PM
Is there any way to do this without having to buy 2 or 3 new books?

I cannot locate. Link?

What books do you already own? I have to know what I'm working with.

I was going to design one of those at one point, then I got distracted by other pro-OOOH SHINY!

CycloneJoker
2011-02-25, 12:03 AM
What books do you already own? I have to know what I'm working with.

I was going to design one of those at one point, then I got distracted by other pro-OOOH SHINY!

Basically, 3.5.

Join the club, BTW.

Southern Cross
2011-02-27, 03:54 AM
My suggestion would be that The Rider class be a martial class- i.e has full BAB, uses D10 for hit dice,etc.

Shpadoinkle
2011-02-27, 04:45 AM
There are a couple guys on /tg/ working on a Kamen Rider based system. There was a thread about it last night I posted in a couple times. The guys developing it said that they should have an alpha release out by next Saturday, probably, so if you post about it then you might get directed to it. (/tg/ is surprisingly civil, except for the edition wars.)

Beyond that, you might take a look at BESM, an anime-based roleplaying system which could probably be adapted with minimal work (if any). There's a "d20" version and a "Tri-Stat" version which is kind of like GURPS.

Prime32
2011-02-27, 08:09 AM
Beyond that, you might take a look at BESM, an anime-based roleplaying system which could probably be adapted with minimal work (if any). There's a "d20" version and a "Tri-Stat" version which is kind of like GURPS.Would recommend the original Tri-Stat version. The d20 version adds BESM's spellcasting methods to D&D's spells...

turkishproverb
2011-02-27, 11:36 PM
Tristat besm WOULD work.

Hm...

CycloneJoker
2011-02-28, 10:00 AM
BESM? Tristat? I apologize, I don't know much about RPGs outside of 3.5.

Shpadoinkle
2011-02-28, 11:06 AM
BESM is Big Eyes, Small Mouth, a PnP RPG based on anime tropes and conventions. Tri-Stat is like the 'engine' it uses.

In the Tri-Stat system, you have three stats: Body, Mind, and Soul. Body is basically D&D's strength, dexterity, and constitution stats rolled into one. Mind is basically intelligence and wisdom rolled together, and Soul measures stuff like fate, determination, luck, and a couple other nebulous things. It's kind of an all-around "effort" stat.

Southern Cross
2011-03-05, 06:52 PM
Sounds like Tri-Stat is a simplified version of DC Heroes. Body is the equivalent to Physical Attributes (DEX,STR & BODY), Mind the equivalent of Mental Attributes (INT,WILL & MIND) while Soul is the equivalent of Mystical Attributes (INFL, AURA & SPIRIT) .

turkishproverb
2011-03-08, 10:48 PM
Sounds like Tri-Stat is a simplified version of DC Heroes. Body is the equivalent to Physical Attributes (DEX,STR & BODY), Mind the equivalent of Mental Attributes (INT,WILL & MIND) while Soul is the equivalent of Mystical Attributes (INFL, AURA & SPIRIT) .

Not really. Tri-Stat is the evolved form of BESM's early engine (and arguably basms engine period, since the BESM version and the one in other games often varied wildly). Aside from the idea one needed to have physical, mental, and "other" attributes, there's not alot of similairty, and frankly DC Heroes (Mayfair, right?) had more in common with dungeons and dragons than tristat.

Makiru
2011-03-09, 12:20 AM
There are a couple guys on /tg/ working on a Kamen Rider based system. There was a thread about it last night I posted in a couple times. The guys developing it said that they should have an alpha release out by next Saturday, probably, so if you post about it then you might get directed to it. (/tg/ is surprisingly civil, except for the edition wars.)

Here's the links to the archived threads regarding it:

Thread 1 (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12708080)
Thread 2 (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12728455)
Thread 3 (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12769238)
Thread 4 (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/13164060)

Note: The last thread had a major overhaul of the system from the previous three. I included them all for completion's sake.

FireJustice
2011-03-09, 03:56 AM
As someone above said. Tristat DX would work wonders (and its free)

M&M with mecha and Manga also woudl work fine.

Mutants and Masterminds have a lot in common with d&d 3.5

DC heroes branched out a little more (it's M&M 3e, btw), but still related.

Southern Cross
2011-03-09, 02:03 PM
For those who came in late:
Back in the 80's Mayfair Games produced a game called DC Heroes: The Roleplaying Game that was based on a base 2 logarithm i.e. a character with 3 Attribute Points (APs for short) of STR was twice as strong as a normal human with 2 APs of STR.
Die rolls ( called Dice Actions in the game) required two tables: The Action Table to determine if you succeeded or not, and the Result Table to determine the degree of your success.
One of the best games of its era,unfortunately Mayfair Games lost the license and the game had to change its name. It is now known as either MEGS ( or as Blood of Heroes,the version that Pulsar Games was licensed to publish).
Worse yet a complex rights issue has put Pulsar Game's license into question,and now the game is in limbo.
That is the DC Heroes game I was talking about.