PDA

View Full Version : Equip Mah Rakshasa!

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 04:46 AM
That, pretty much.
The Rakshasa is a Sorcerer 5/Mindspy 5/Mindbender 2 who is currently controlling a supposedly (mostly) democratic city council in competition with various other high and very high level creatures. He's very much a manipulator with plenty of minions and subordinates and people just under his control (magically or otherwise). He's recently been at the head of a crime ring stealing magic items from passing adventurers, so he's got the pick of a variety of items.
Lots of money, lots of influence and lots of resources. I'm thinking twice the usual amount of treasure (according to the SRD the usual is standard coins, double goods, standard items or, for a... CR 22ish? creature... it's not working for me right now so I don't know :smallfrown:).
So, if you were a high level Evil cat-magician behind-the-scenes politician manipulator with near-boundless resources, what stuff would you have?

Advice on feats (x7) and/or spells (9/5/5/4/4/3/2 known) - after much debate I'm going with capture rather than kill but he should still be pretty deadly - would also be muchly appreciated.

And yeah, I'm pretty aware that if the party manages to kill him on their own they're gonna be absolutely loaded. But, well, if they manage to kill him on their own, they bloody well deserve it. At least, that's the plan...

faceroll
2011-02-21, 04:50 AM
Third Eye: Conceal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#conceal) Pricey, but not much can crack it.

Of course, you're going to want to give it stat boosters, runestaves, and healthy stack of scrolls.

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 04:54 AM
Hm. Could be handy, especially if I get the feat that lets you always Take 10 on Concentration checks.
Unfamiliar with runestaves. Quick question, though: magic staves can be wielded like quarterstaffs or similar, can't they?

faceroll
2011-02-21, 04:57 AM
Hm. Could be handy, especially if I get the feat that lets you always Take 10 on Concentration checks.
Unfamiliar with runestaves. Quick question, though: magic staves can be wielded like quarterstaffs or similar, can't they?

I've always ruled that they can be, yes. In fact, I believe several staves wielded by powerful NPCs in books are enchanted as weapons. Staff of power is a +2 quarterstaff, for instance.

Runestaves are from magic item compendium, have a theme, and let sorcerers cast the spells on the staff as if they knew those spells. Eternal Wands for stuff like mage armor or what have you could also be useful.

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 06:11 AM
I'll have a look, but I think a normal staff would probably be better. Hm... Can you add weapon enhancements to them? I'm guessing Eternal Wands are from the same place.
Very helpful so far, thanks :smallsmile:
edit: If anyone has a Cleric or similar appropriate for a minion for this Rakshasa lying around, that would be rather handy... Looking in particular for healing and spell removal capabilities.

faceroll
2011-02-21, 07:25 AM
Hm... Can you add weapon enhancements to them? I'm guessing Eternal Wands are from the same place.

You're the DM; of course you can. Getting weapon enchantments on an already expensive item that wouldn't be used for much isn't DM abuse, by any means. There is certainly precedent that the really powerful staves are powerful weapons in their own right.

And yes, eternal wands are in the same place.

Other useful equipment might be a +1 soulfire buckler, mithral. It has 0% ACP and 0% ASF, which means no penalties for using it. It protects against negative energy effects. Quite handy.

You also may want some protection against poison and ability score damage. Those are fast, easy ways to take down a powerful opponent, so it would be good to be protected against them, to prevent asymmetrical attacks.

Things like miss chance, teleportation, high touch AC, and flight that aren't replicated by spells known should be represented by itemization.

Metamagic rods are quite affordable for a CR 22 creature, which means you can get some pretty good ones. Make sure you pick up the ACF that lets you use metamagic normally, from PHB2 I believe. Have to trade out your familiar. Alternatively, you could pick up a feat from Complete Arcane (or Mage?).

As for a cleric minion, what race? A loredrake spellhoarding wyrmling dragon with a bunch of wizard levels would be small and adorable, cast as a wizard, but have the capabilities to learn any spell that he has counterspelled and paid gems to add to his horde. This would make building the character relatively easy for you, as you could pretty much give it whatever spells you thought appropriate.

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 07:56 AM
You're the DM; of course you can.Oh yeah :3
You also may want some protection against poison and ability score damage. Those are fast, easy ways to take down a powerful opponent, so it would be good to be protected against them, to prevent asymmetrical attacks.
Things like miss chance, teleportation, high touch AC, and flight that aren't replicated by spells known should be represented by itemizationAnything in particular to recommend?

Metamagic rods are quite affordable for a CR 22 creature, which means you can get some pretty good ones. Make sure you pick up the ACF that lets you use metamagic normally, from PHB2 I believe. Have to trade out your familiar. Alternatively, you could pick up a feat from Complete Arcane (or Mage?).Know what ACF that is?

As for a cleric minion, what race? A loredrake spellhoarding wyrmling dragon with a bunch of wizard levels would be small and adorable, cast as a wizard, but have the capabilities to learn any spell that he has counterspelled and paid gems to add to his horde. This would make building the character relatively easy for you, as you could pretty much give it whatever spells you thought appropriate.Any race, really. He's the "representative" of all the feline-type races in the city, and sworn enemy of (predictably) the canid-types. I thought of giving him a rat familiar (but may just make it a pet for the aforementioned feat), which gave me the idea of any "small mammal" type creatures being definitely not his allies, but potentially his terrified minions. But, in this place, any mammalian race is possible (including humans and goblinoids, but not so much the other core races), and reptilians are possible but less likely and more noticable.

edit: Here's the feats I was looking at. He can have 7. Thoughts?

Improved natural Armour (+1 NA)
Combat Casting (+4 [ ])
Extraordinary Concentration ([ ] on spell as Move)
Hard to Fool (+2 vs. Illusion & on Sense Motive)
Negotiator (+2 Persuasion & Sen Mot)
Persuasive (+2 Bluff & Persuasion)
Steady Concentration (Take 10 on [ ])
Mobile Spellcasting (cast as part of move)
Vatic Gaze (detect magic, tell highest spell in enemy)
Force of Personality (Cha for Will vs. mind-effecting)
Daunting Presence (shake enemies)
Improved Initiative (+4 Init)
Blind-Fight
Eyes in the Back of Your Head (no flanking bonus)
Commanding (+2 DC compulsion spells [Persuasive])
Eschew Materials
Arcane Mastery (Take 10 on CL checks)
Battle Casting (+2 Dodge when casting spell [Combat Casting])
Charming (+3 Mind Control checks [Negotiator])
Combat Charm (no bonus to threatened enemies to resist charms)

faceroll
2011-02-21, 09:00 AM
Try this thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851

I believe Doc Roc posted a link in that thread to BG which has an even larger, more comprehensive list of neat trinkets.

MiC has the belt of battle, which is quite cheap for its ability to grant additional actions. If your Rakshasa is a loner, it may be a good idea to have him approach action parity with the party with one of those.

I can't remember the exact name of the ACF, but it is in the PHB2 under the sorcerer bit. Trade in the familiar (which you can get back with the obtain familiar feat) to get the ability to apply metamagic 3+int mod times per day without raising the casting time.

For an epic level caster, there are spells to replicate virtually all the abilities those feats granted, or are otherwise too trivial to be worth a feat. But that's just me. I would instead be looking for feats that let the Rakshasa deal with common player tactics. I don't know what your players like to do, though, so it's your call. If you think having epically high bluff and sense motive checks are appropriate, go for it. Personally, I'd pick up some metamagic, like shape spell, split ray, extend spell, and heighten spell. Maybe an ability focus for detect thoughts. It really depends on your players, though.

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 09:12 AM
Hm... Maybe I should work out the spell list to see which metamagics will be the most useful, first.
I also kinda like the idea of giving him a template of some sort... Something that will make him look extra noble and proud and maybe shiny sorta thing. Not sure what, though... Something along the lines of celestial blood could be interesting - and a touch disturbing :smallamused:
That link looks pretty handy, thanks.

edit: Narrowing down that list of feats somewhat...

Extraordinary Concentration ([ ] on spell as Move)
Mobile Spellcasting (cast as part of move)
Daunting Presence (shake enemies)
Eschew Materials
Arcane Mastery (Take 10 on CL checks)

What about those and metamagics, maybe that ACF one you were talking about, and/or a Heritage feat (though I'd prefer a nice light template)?

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 10:24 AM
New thread title. :smallamused:

Hmm. Benign/Baleful transposition seems like strong possibilities for wands on a support minion since he seems like he'll have minions to spare by setting up his guys advantageously to cycle who the party has access to that could play up the threat angle.

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 11:04 AM
I was considering those spells.

Preliminary spell list:
Electric Jolt
Sonic Snap
Resistance
Detect Magic
Read Magic
Daze
Mage Hand
Open/Close
Prestidigitation

Thunderhead
Ray of Clumsiness
Charm Person
Hypnotism
Ray of Enfeeblement

Malevolent Miasma
Entice Gift
Phantasmal Assailants
Touch of Idiocy
Tasha’s Hideous Laughter

Bands of Steel
Chain Missile
Hold Person
Suggestion

Ray Deflection
Force Missiles
Evard’s Black Tentacles
Charm Monster

Wrack
Dominate Person
Hold Monster

Ray of Entropy
Suggestion, Mass

Considered but rejected spells that might be wandified or potionated or otherwise itemised:

Ectoplasmic Armour
Ironguts
Blood Wind
Persistent Blade
Serene Visage
Backbiter
Spirit Worm (1 Con dmg/rnd)
Shield
Grease
Mage Armour
Sleep
Magic Missile
Colour Spray
Cause Fear
Reduce Person

Blast of Force
Combust
Death Armour
Ghoul Glyph
Balor Nimbus
Resist Energy
Glitterdust
Web
Daze Monster
Hypnotic Pattern
Mirror Image
Blindness/Deafness
Scare

Mesmerizing Glare
Great Thunderclap
Manyjaws
Cone of Dimness
Deeper Darkvision
Steeldance
Dispel Magic
Explosive Runes
Displacement
Ray of Exhaustion
Blink

Dispelling Screen
Defenestrating Sphere
Burning Breath
Backlash
Dimensional Anchor
Stoneskin
Confusion
Crushing Despair
Geas, Lesser
Otiluke’s Resiliant Sphere - Will almost certainly have a few of these lined up one way or another, and/or Force Cage of some sort
Shout
Fear
Reduce Person, Mass

Contingent Energy Resistance
Viscid Glob
Blink, Greater
Break Enchantment
Feeblemind

Probe Thoughts
Illusory Pit
Fleshshiver
Imperious Glare
Stone Body
Globe of Invulnerability
Repulsion
True Seeing
Geas/Quest
Symbol of Persuasion
Flesh to Stone

Thoughts?

Also, a question: If I say the Rakshasa's home building is "warded against teleportation and interdimensional travel" (which makes sense for him - it'll be warded against divination, too), will that negate a Warlock's Dimension Door ability?

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 11:11 AM
^: Oh, that reminds me, Knowstones, y/n?

Also, a question: If I say the Rakshasa's home building is "warded against teleportation and interdimensional travel" (which makes sense for him - it'll be warded against divination, too), will that negate a Warlock's Dimension Door ability?

Since you didn't pigeonhole yourself with your language by saying "spells" or specifying a type of effect, you should be fine to do so.

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 11:14 AM
Are they the alternate scroll types (in which case yes, and I've used 'em), or something else? Is it, say, something that lets the spellcaster "know" a spell for the purpose of casting spells? I'm alright with that, and it seems like the sort of thing he'd use.

faceroll
2011-02-21, 11:14 AM
You could also rule that [teleporting] uses travel along the astral plane to get from A to B fast, and that planar travel there is blocked. Or at least fractured, so maybe Rakshasa only knows which handful of walls aren't teleport proof so he can pop in and out of fights if his sanctum is ever breached.

Are they the alternate scroll types (in which case yes, and I've used 'em), or something else?

They're an expensive magic item that a sorcerer can use to know additional spells.

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 11:17 AM
Then yes. Hrm... Is it too much to think that he might have exceptions built in for himself and perhaps a couple of his closer henchpeople?
I was thinking he'd have a room - or two - specifically left out of these wards so he can scry for his own purposes, and teleport others (which will be important for when (.../if) he captures the party and gives them An Offer They Can't Refuse).

Keld Denar
2011-02-21, 11:46 AM
I'd suggest Anticipate Teleport (3rd, Abj, SpC) or Greater Anticipate Teleport (6th, Abj, SpC), as to keep your Raki safe from teleporation ambushes. In either case, he's got 6-18 seconds to prepare a trap or simply GTFO. They have very nice long durations, so its a morning set + forget type awesomeness.

I find your lack of Freezing Fog (6th, Conj, SpC) disturbing. Look it up. Learn it. Love it. Everything you love about Solid Fog combined with everything you love about Grease combined with a half-strength Acid Fog.

For feats, a BBEG can seldom EVER go wrong with the Quick Recovery feat (Lords of Madness). Single target screwage spells like Stun Ray or similar can REALLY bone a bad guy. Quick Recovery lets you overcome many things, even things that don't allow saves, simply by being awesome. It's what Iron Heart Surge should have been. It's so good, its almost cheaty, assuming you have good saves. I take it on almost every cleric I've ever played, its just THAT good.

Otherwise, the things any good high level BBEG should have are:
Mind Blank
Freedom of Movement
Short range tactical teleports
whatever else is on Ernir's list

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 12:37 PM
I just realized something. There is a decided lack of Wings of Cover in this thread.

true_shinken
2011-02-21, 01:39 PM
I just realized something. There is a decided lack of Wings of Cover in this thread.

Not enough Ruin Delver's Fortune as well.

Cog
2011-02-21, 03:36 PM
Keep an eye on the Runestaves. Unlike Eternal Wands, they technically only let you cast the spells that are already on your class list; for example, one of them has Earthquake, which is only an arcane spell for Warmages and Wu Jen.

Cieyrin
2011-02-21, 03:54 PM
^: Oh, that reminds me, Knowstones, y/n?

Wouldn't a Drake Helm (Explorer's Handbook) be better/more accessible, given Knowstones are Dragon material and harder to get ahold of?

Coidzor
2011-02-21, 04:00 PM
Wouldn't a Drake Helm (Explorer's Handbook) be better/more accessible, given Knowstones are Dragon material and harder to get ahold of?

Because Serpentine is the DM and Knowstones are the better known thing to me. Edit: So, I forgot about the drake helm and runestaves.

Serpentine
2011-02-21, 11:23 PM
I'd suggest Anticipate Teleport (3rd, Abj, SpC) or Greater Anticipate Teleport (6th, Abj, SpC), as to keep your Raki safe from teleporation ambushes. In either case, he's got 6-18 seconds to prepare a trap or simply GTFO. They have very nice long durations, so its a morning set + forget type awesomeness.Covered by warding his home (where this will probably take place), non? And probably by a henchman or his own arrogance when out and about.

I find your lack of Freezing Fog (6th, Conj, SpC) disturbing. Look it up. Learn it. Love it. Everything you love about Solid Fog combined with everything you love about Grease combined with a half-strength Acid Fog.Learned, Knowstoned (or similar) or itemized do it?

For feats, a BBEG can seldom EVER go wrong with the Quick Recovery feat (Lords of Madness). Single target screwage spells like Stun Ray or similar can REALLY bone a bad guy. Quick Recovery lets you overcome many things, even things that don't allow saves, simply by being awesome. It's what Iron Heart Surge should have been. It's so good, its almost cheaty, assuming you have good saves. I take it on almost every cleric I've ever played, its just THAT good.Covered by items that deal with stunning (as in that link), right? I'll check it out still, though.

Not enough Ruin Delver's Fortune as well.What and/or where are those?
Wouldn't a Drake Helm (Explorer's Handbook) be better/more accessible, given Knowstones are Dragon material and harder to get ahold of?Well, I KNOW I've got a fair few Dragons but I'm not sure about Explorer's Handbook.
*checks*
Hm. Nope, no Handbook that I can see. Dragon #333: In my hot little hands. Oh, it's that one... Heheh, poisonberry pie.
Hm... Knowstones do look pretty good. Might give him a necklace of 'em... How does it compare with the Drake Helm, though?

Coidzor
2011-02-22, 12:15 AM
What and/or where are those?

Wings of Cover, as an immediate action blocks line of effect and provides total cover against an attack or effect. It's a Sorcerer-only level 2 spell from Races of the Dragon on page 119, I believe.

Ruin Delver's Fortune appeared in one of the Far Corners of the World (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041022a) web articles as a bard spell. Just found a reference to the Spell Compendium, Page 178, for the spell and that it's a 4th level sorc/wiz spell in addition to a bard spell. Is also an immediate action.

Cieyrin
2011-02-22, 12:25 AM
What and/or where are those?

Wings of Cover is from Races of the Dragon, 2nd level, that you can cast as an immediate action to provide full cover from an attack or spell, blocking line of effect.

Ruin Delver's Fortune is from Spell Compendium, is 4th level, that you can cast as an immediate action to grant yourself a variety of effects as the situation calls for, usually a luck bonus equal to your Cha mod to one save plus an immunity to some effect or a good amount of temporary hitpoints. Lasts 1d4 rounds, good for getting out of Dodge when the excrement hits the rotating cooling device.

EDIT: ninja'd on this part. :/

Well, I KNOW I've got a fair few Dragons but I'm not sure about Explorer's Handbook.
*checks*
Hm. Nope, no Handbook that I can see. Dragon #333: In my hot little hands. Oh, it's that one... Heheh, poisonberry pie.
Hm... Knowstones do look pretty good. Might give him a necklace of 'em... How does it compare with the Drake Helm, though?

They both have their advantages, as Knowstones are slotless and cheaper. Drakehelms take up the head slot but can hold up to 4 spells known, which can be changed without getting another dragonshard, provided the shard is quality enough to hold spells of the level you want or lower. The shards work just like a ring of spell storing, except you learn to cast the spell while you're wearing the helm and it isn't expended when you use it.

faceroll
2011-02-22, 12:40 AM
You may want to keep ruin delvers on an eternal wand, maybe wings of cover too. Having them both as spells known is redundant, imo.

Cieyrin
2011-02-22, 03:53 PM
You may want to keep ruin delvers on an eternal wand, maybe wings of cover too. Having them both as spells known is redundant, imo.

Having a regular wand of Ruin Delver's or WoC in a Casting Glove would probably be good, if we want to only take one and keep our hands open for other things.

true_shinken
2011-02-22, 06:31 PM
Having a regular wand of Ruin Delver's or WoC in a Casting Glove would probably be good, if we want to only take one and keep our hands open for other things.

It's just sad that you can't use two caster gloves by RAW.
I do allow it in my games, though.

Cieyrin
2011-02-22, 07:16 PM
It's just sad that you can't use two caster gloves by RAW.
I do allow it in my games, though.

I would so make a Caster Glove version of the Kimono of Storing in a heartbeat.

Sinpoder
2011-02-22, 07:20 PM
Personally I would recommend you get a set of Armor of Arrow Attration. What he needs to do is place it in his throne room place, in the corner in a orb of darkness or something. Your party is most likely going to shoot holy bolts at him, which is a instant kill no save, and that would be his biggest fear. The armor of arrow atraction should send that arrows towards that instead of the Rakshasa.

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-22, 07:36 PM
Personally I would recommend you get a set of Armor of Arrow Attration. What he needs to do is place it in his throne room place, in the corner in a orb of darkness or something. Your party is most likely going to shoot holy bolts at him, which is a instant kill no save, and that would be his biggest fear. The armor of arrow atraction should send that arrows towards that instead of the Rakshasa.

It's not instant death in 3E, which this thread is clearly about (with talk of feats, prestige classes, Eberron material, etc.).

Cieyrin
2011-02-22, 07:40 PM
It's not instant death in 3E, which this thread is clearly about (with talk of feats, prestige classes, Eberron material, etc.).

Yeah, holy bolts only pierce his awesome DR now, they don't write his certificate for him.